End of Galaxy Note 7 predicted to help Apple, but 'big beneficiaries' could be other Android device

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    sog35 said:
    MacBAir said:
    They are right. The vast majority of Galaxy users are people that associate more cores, more pixels with better phones. Those will keep buying Android devices, probably the great S7.

The others, that wanted S-pen specific features, will keep using older notes or other galaxy devices, too. They have no other choice.

Those that wanted the Note because it had the best screen and best camera won't obvious buy an iPhone as well.

For the users that feel that they lost trust in Samsung, some will go Android, some will go iOS.
    Did. Not. Read.

Only 36 posts. Not going to waste my time
    Did. Not. Read.

Normally I find your posts a welcome change and usually quite funny however you haven't been here long enough.  Not going to waste my time.
    singularitybig
  • Reply 22 of 41
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    MacBAir said:
    They are right. The vast majority of Galaxy users are people that associate more cores, more pixels with better phones. Those will keep buying Android devices, probably the great S7.

The others, that wanted S-pen specific features, will keep using older notes or other galaxy devices, too. They have no other choice.

Those that wanted the Note because it had the best screen and best camera won't obvious buy an iPhone as well.

For the users that feel that they lost trust in Samsung, some will go Android, some will go iOS.
    Did. Not. Read.

But. Did. Reply. And. Wasted. Time.

Not really. I'm training these newbies to be better posters.

They need to impress me in their first 2 sentences. If not, I won't read any more. 
    no you are not. you are being aggressive and  basically bullying. All its needed is to point out why you think they are wrong. By this type of behaviour you help to stop people posting. 
    If you think they are a troll just ignore or if they have a point come with a reason why they are wrong. or maybe a witty response.
    I come here and learn a lot from the reasonable arguments made here (i admit i sometimes get involved with the unreasonable ones.. me bad )
    Sog's just being a dick.  Period.  His posts just caused many to give up and move on.  Ever wonder why the folks that really cared about this site and posted for years just suddenly got up and disappeared?  It's because of the whiny, bullying tactics of miscreants like Sog.  
    singularitybigicoco3
  • Reply 23 of 41
    melgross said:
    MacBAir said:
    The only thing I can Agree with about all that is the pen. The rest is meh. The reason is because much of it isn't true.

great specs? Well, yeah, for Android.

best camera and screen? Sorry, but no to both of those. Just look at the just published review of the iPhone 7+ about the screen and camera from Anandtech, and the Displaymate review of the screen.

highest speczzz, true. Samsung usually hits the bullet points on specs that don't function well, or at all.

the design is pretty nice though. But according to Android Nation, it breaks much more easily than the iPhone 7+.

and again, the pen. I know two people who have had Notes, neither used the pen that much after the first couple of months. I'm sure there are some who are devoted to it. It's almost as easy using a pen on my 6+. But I need to carry it in my pocket. Otherwise it's about as easy as using the circular thing where some of those functions reside on the Note.

at any rate, the Note is the third best selling flagship phone for Samsung. The first is the plain S7, the second is the Edge.
    You didn't properly understand my post. I was addressing the sub-categories of Note buyers.

I clearly stated: "they wanted an Android device with great specs". In no way did I imply that those specs are superior to the iPhone. It doesn't matter what the iPhone's specs are, because that sub-group of users want an Android device.

Best Camera: Yes. Samsung has, by far, the best camera for general photographies. Low light performance is miles ahead. The camera hardware is also better for general photography, and the exynos version has no issues with video (stereo sound, too.). Every review ends up stating that: From Ars, to the Verge, to DxO, to every single reviewer on youtube, to anyone that used both. If Anandtech stated that the iPhone camera was better, it's only because the reviewer focussed on other features (like the second camera) and gave his opinion, saying "for me having that trick is worth the trade-off of having a superior camera on every other metric". No one is denying that the camera is way better on the note.

Screen: Every reviewer, even displaymate, states that the Note screen is superior. They said that the iPhone had "the best and most accurate LCD on the market". I mean, it's modern AMOLED. No LCD, no matter how squeezed, actually beats that. Anandtech actually explains a lot of their tests.

The "speczz" was clearly targeting the users that associate higher numbers with better everything. They exist, and they won't buy an iPhone.

The design: Our opinion doesn't matter. Users that wanted the Note because of the design will buy a s7, not an iPhone.
    big
  • Reply 24 of 41
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Charlie33 said:
    I will miss the Note7's beautiful screen, how easy it was to handle for a big phone and Samsung Pay.  Apple and Google really ought to try licensing Sammy's magnetic reader tech, at least for the US's woefully old payment terminals.
    Should they also really ought to try licensing Sammy's smoke signal tech, at least for the US's areas with woefully poor cell coverage?
    edited October 2016 watto_cobracali
  • Reply 25 of 41
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    I'm not entirely convinced it's going to help Apple, considering how hard it is to get your hands on an iPhone 7 Plus right now. 

Google Pixel XL? Good chance they'll get a hefty sales boost.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    melgross said:

sog35 said:
    MacBAir said:

Did. Not. Read.

What does the number of posts have to do with what he says? At some time, you didn't have any more. Should we have ignored what you said because of that? How many posts does a person need before they're worth responding to?

what he said is true. The last sentence is correct. Some will stay with Android, and some will go iOS. Why is that hard to believe?
    for what it's worth when i signed up my posts were automatically held until i had a dozen or so. they said it was an anti spam/troll policy. 
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 41
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I truly believe that if Apple shipped a phone with the same horrible defect that the Samsung Note 7 exhibited Tim Cook would be sitting in front of a congressional hearing panel this week answering some very difficult questions. I know that any mention of Apple being subjected to an entirely different set of standards sounds like whining, but it's absolutely the case on so many levels. Apple's been executing at such an exceptional and impressive level for so long that they make amazing look like ordinary. When episodes of shoddy and dangerous products like the Samsung Note 7 occur, coupled with the embarrassingly slow response by the product's owner, it should serve as a reminder that Apple has not lowered their quality or safety bar for the sake of expediency. I expect the next round of MacBooks to raise the bar even further.
    nolamacguypscooter63bigwatto_cobracali
  • Reply 28 of 41
    roakeroake Posts: 811member

Right?

SpamSandwichmagman1979bigwatto_cobrajony0cali
  • Reply 29 of 41
    neznibonneznibon Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    One comparison I haven't noticed being mentioned. When the flak began, the lava phone had been out about a month - now about 2. The highest recall number I've seen referenced is a total recall of 2.5 million. If Apple had sold that few in any opening week-end (yes, I know. No numbers this time, but we can assume) that model would have been deemed a total failure, and a prediction of Apple's demise, yet this Samsung disaster was (pre-self-immolations) labeled an unqualified success.
    nolamacguypscooter63watto_cobracali
  • Reply 30 of 41
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    For better or for worse, there's still a backlog of orders for the iPhone 7+, so the number of phones they sell in the immediate future will be dictated by supply, not any additional demand. For some models, there's still a 6-8 week wait if you buy online, which is a long time to wait if your previous phone just blew up in your pocket. 

What I don't get is why the revenue guidance is significantly lower than last year's, even though the new phone went on sale two and a half weeks earlier in the quarter (compared to last year), it's a "full number" upgrade (as opposed to an "s" model), and they have been selling them as fast as they can make them. Did the annual rumor of supply constraints finally catch up to us, are the phones this year that much more expensive to make than previous models, did they just plan to sell fewer than last year out of unfounded pessimism, or are the ASPs worse since the entry model has 32gb of storage? Other theories? 

It seems to me that they should have increased production capacity with every new release, but there's obviously a missing piece to this puzzle somewhere. It makes even less sense give the fact that the revenue from services keeps growing, and iPads have been doing better lately, so even if they sold the same number of new phones in 23 days this year that they sold in six days last year, you'd think revenue would be higher this year.
    edited October 2016 cali
  • Reply 31 of 41
    sog35 said:
    MacBAir said:

Did. Not. Read.

Did. Not. Read.

Normally I find your posts a welcome change and usually quite funny however you haven't been here long enough.  Not going to waste my time.
    My man. We've both been here since 2004. Neither of us over 50 posts. This n00b writes 10,000 posts in 3 years and he thinks that qualifies him to bully others. Shameful.

And now we've both been sucked into derailing this thread. Mods, deal with this.
    bigicoco3
  • Reply 32 of 41
    help? you mean make it even harder to get hold of an iPhone 7 Plus!
    cali
  • Reply 33 of 41
    other androids? it is good enough
  • Reply 34 of 41
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    sflocal said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    MacBAir said:

Did. Not. Read.

But. Did. Reply. And. Wasted. Time.

Not really. I'm training these newbies to be better posters.

They need to impress me in their first 2 sentences. If not, I won't read any more. 
    no you are not. you are being aggressive and  basically bullying. All its needed is to point out why you think they are wrong. By this type of behaviour you help to stop people posting. 
    If you think they are a troll just ignore or if they have a point come with a reason why they are wrong. or maybe a witty response.
    I come here and learn a lot from the reasonable arguments made here (i admit i sometimes get involved with the unreasonable ones.. me bad )
    Sog's just being a dick.  Period.  His posts just caused many to give up and move on.  Ever wonder why the folks that really cared about this site and posted for years just suddenly got up and disappeared?  It's because of the whiny, bullying tactics of miscreants like Sog.  
    I found the "block" button for sog to be helpful.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    A friend at work said, "I'm going to try the new Google Pixel".

(... not, "I'm going to switch to iPhone")

That's the thing. Apple and Samsung are the only two "phone" companies that have a physical presence. Everything else is just cheap junk that the mobile carriers flog because of high margins (eg Huawei) or because they could get some of their own bloatware on the device. So people who aren't really on the ball will buy whatever is the most profitable "Free" phone at the wireless carrier's store instead.

I'd never but a Samsung or LG phone just because they've had notorious reliability concerns with many past devices going back to the early GSM models.  That said, having worked warranty exchange for one of the wireless carriers probably forever tainted my view of Samsung and LG, due to the vast majority of the devices being returned as defective. Motorola was no better, but Moto's reliability often concerned user-caused damage (broken antennas and cracked screens due to people putting them in their rear pants pockets like their wallet and crushing them. The most reliable phones were the ugly Nokia phones.

• Reply 36 of 41
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    misa said:
    A friend at work said, "I'm going to try the new Google Pixel".

(... not, "I'm going to switch to iPhone")

That's the thing. Apple and Samsung are the only two "phone" companies that have a physical presence. Everything else is just cheap junk that the mobile carriers flog because of high margins (eg Huawei) or because they could get some of their own bloatware on the device. So people who aren't really on the ball will buy whatever is the most profitable "Free" phone at the wireless carrier's store instead.

I'd never but a Samsung or LG phone just because they've had notorious reliability concerns with many past devices going back to the early GSM models.  That said, having worked warranty exchange for one of the wireless carriers probably forever tainted my view of Samsung and LG, due to the vast majority of the devices being returned as defective. Motorola was no better, but Moto's reliability often concerned user-caused damage (broken antennas and cracked screens due to people putting them in their rear pants pockets like their wallet and crushing them. The most reliable phones were the ugly Nokia phones.

Don't kid yourself this iPhone knockoff is also junk. Read the article.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    MacBAir said:
    melgross said:
    MacBAir said:
    The only thing I can Agree with about all that is the pen. The rest is meh. The reason is because much of it isn't true.

great specs? Well, yeah, for Android.

best camera and screen? Sorry, but no to both of those. Just look at the just published review of the iPhone 7+ about the screen and camera from Anandtech, and the Displaymate review of the screen.

highest speczzz, true. Samsung usually hits the bullet points on specs that don't function well, or at all.

the design is pretty nice though. But according to Android Nation, it breaks much more easily than the iPhone 7+.

and again, the pen. I know two people who have had Notes, neither used the pen that much after the first couple of months. I'm sure there are some who are devoted to it. It's almost as easy using a pen on my 6+. But I need to carry it in my pocket. Otherwise it's about as easy as using the circular thing where some of those functions reside on the Note.

at any rate, the Note is the third best selling flagship phone for Samsung. The first is the plain S7, the second is the Edge.
    You didn't properly understand my post. I was addressing the sub-categories of Note buyers.

I clearly stated: "they wanted an Android device with great specs". In no way did I imply that those specs are superior to the iPhone. It doesn't matter what the iPhone's specs are, because that sub-group of users want an Android device.

Best Camera: Yes. Samsung has, by far, the best camera for general photographies. Low light performance is miles ahead. The camera hardware is also better for general photography, and the exynos version has no issues with video (stereo sound, too.). Every review ends up stating that: From Ars, to the Verge, to DxO, to every single reviewer on youtube, to anyone that used both. If Anandtech stated that the iPhone camera was better, it's only because the reviewer focussed on other features (like the second camera) and gave his opinion, saying "for me having that trick is worth the trade-off of having a superior camera on every other metric". No one is denying that the camera is way better on the note.

Screen: Every reviewer, even displaymate, states that the Note screen is superior. They said that the iPhone had "the best and most accurate LCD on the market". I mean, it's modern AMOLED. No LCD, no matter how squeezed, actually beats that. Anandtech actually explains a lot of their tests.

The "speczz" was clearly targeting the users that associate higher numbers with better everything. They exist, and they won't buy an iPhone.

The design: Our opinion doesn't matter. Users that wanted the Note because of the design will buy a s7, not an iPhone.
    Ok, so for Android phones it had great specs, but the rest, no. Look at Anandtech;s review of the iPhone 7. Definitely a better camera for stills, and especially for video, where Android cameras completely fall down.

as far as the screen goes, the Samsung screen was tested by Displaymate before the iPhone 7 came out. The 7 screen is better for more than one reason. AMOLED is no more modern than LCD is. And the quality of the display is severely limited by the fact that Android hasn't, and likely will never have, any sort of color management, limiting the useful nature of any Android display to sRGB. The systems as a whole need to be compared for any useful analysis.

we've already got people who were "burned" saying that they would be buying iPhones. As I said myself, if you bothered to pay attention to my other posts, that Apple won't be the only benefitting here. Some will move to iOS, and some will migrate to other Samsung S series, and some will move to other Android manufacturers. That's a given.

the stylus if the Note isn't all that unique. One can be used with most every phone. The only real difference is that it's built-in to the phone. I keep my Apple Pencil in my shirt pocket, using a clip from an old pen. It works just fine.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    melgross said:

sog35 said:
    MacBAir said:

Did. Not. Read.

What does the number of posts have to do with what he says? At some time, you didn't have any more. Should we have ignored what you said because of that? How many posts does a person need before they're worth responding to?

what he said is true. The last sentence is correct. Some will stay with Android, and some will go iOS. Why is that hard to believe?
    for what it's worth when i signed up my posts were automatically held until i had a dozen or so. they said it was an anti spam/troll policy. 
    Yes, it is. We've had a lot of problems with that in the past. I spent a lot of time deleting posts and accounts of spammers. We would also get seriously bad trolling. I would have to delete many of those too, though sometimes I would message the person, and they would clean up. Often trolls just post a handful of times, and stop.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    smack416 said:
    sog35 said:
    MacBAir said:

Did. Not. Read.

Did. Not. Read.

My man. We've both been here since 2004. Neither of us over 50 posts. This n00b writes 10,000 posts in 3 years and he thinks that qualifies him to bully others. Shameful.

And now we've both been sucked into derailing this thread. Mods, deal with this.
    It's not always that simple. I could always delete posts willy nilly, and hand demerits out like pennies from heaven. But that causes it's own problems. We can't monitor all threads all the time, so things slip through. And then people reply and quote them. By the time we see it, we would have to delete a bunch of posts, often causing the thread to become incoherent. So the really bad ones are often dealt with, but the others remain. Often I'll message the poster privately about it.

but some people message me about posts I don't want to deal with. I'm not going to stop arguments between people, and some people get upset when someone disagrees with them. We know most of the people here, and so often we ignore the pattern they present.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    melgross said:
    It's not always that simple. ... Often I'll message the poster privately about it.

Thanks, Mel. I hear you and appreciate your perspective and effort. I'll avoid the temptation to respond again.