BMW's 2017 5 Series Sedan to be first car with support for wireless CarPlay

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I love my BMW 5-Series GT, and was waiting for arrival for CarPlay before getting the next one.

Now that it's here, it feels like too little, too late. The interior styling and engine has remained largely identical for nearly five years years, yet prices have gone up 15%-25% in the past couple of years (despite the dollar appreciating). Even the exterior styling -- except for the nice-looking set of headlights -- is identical to my 2013 model. Essentially, it looks the same, has the same engine and horsepower, but for a substantially higher price tag. Meanwhile, companies like Mercedes Benz (solid implementation of CarPlay), Volvo (solid implementation of CarPlay), and Jaguar (poor on the CarPlay front) have made huge design strides. 

I think I'll pass. It may be time to switch brands. 
    I see Kia are doing well in the USA;)
  • Reply 22 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

ZooMigo said:
    paxman said:
    Buying a brand new car is like dropping 5 grand or more down a bottomless pit in exchange for a few approving nods and the shortlived satisfaction that you can afford it. (Which for all I know you couldn't, anyway). The flip side to my disdain for chucking money out the window is that features like CarPlay will have to wait. I paid 10 grand for my XC70 with 100,000 clicks on the clock. It should easily do another 100 before I sell it, and it still looks pretty damn new. Well, almost. I have kids and dogs  
    Should I really piss you off and let you know I paid cash for my M240? I wanted it, I saved for it, I bought it.. wrote a check.
    Good for you.   I always leased since someone once told me never to own a depreciating asset and that seemed to make sense.  

That said I did buy out the lease on a 2007 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee I'd leased because due to oil prices at the time they not only gave it away they also (which never happens) reduced the residual dramatically at the same time.  I snatched it up for nearly 10K less than KB value when the three years were up and added a 'Florida and Hawaii only' available Life Time Factory Warranty.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 23 of 32
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    fallenjt said:
    I love my BMW 5-Series GT, and was waiting for arrival for CarPlay before getting the next one.

Now that it's here, it feels like too little, too late. The interior styling and engine has remained largely identical for nearly five years years, yet prices have gone up 15%-25% in the past couple of years (despite the dollar appreciating). Even the exterior styling -- except for the nice-looking set of headlights -- is identical to my 2013 model. Essentially, it looks the same, has the same engine and horsepower, but for a substantially higher price tag. Meanwhile, companies like Mercedes Benz (solid implementation of CarPlay), Volvo (solid implementation of CarPlay), and Jaguar (poor on the CarPlay front) have made huge design strides. 

I think I'll pass. It may be time to switch brands. 
    It's how it drives, not look. Volvo or Jaguar is boring. Benz is ulgly with curved design lately. For driving dynamics, no competitor can beat the "Ultimate Driving Machine ".
    so you do street racing? LOL

don't understand why people spend big money on a 'performance car' when they get stuck in traffic 90% of the time. I use to buy performance cars until I realized the few fleeting minutes I could actually use its power was so few and far between, it simply was not worth it. 

Now I just want a car that is extremely reliable, technology features, and comfortable. I done with paying for premium gas and expensive low profile tires and higher insurance rates.
    I don't need to be a street racer to understand that. With your logic, you should drive a Corolla or Yaris! BTW, BMW is a driver's car, and not all models are performing car. You love phones and people love cars. I'm different than you that I enjoy driving with my friends and go to events like Bimmerfest. I sit my ass in a car a few hours everyday, 7 days a week; why would I not consider to sit in a car I enjoy driving? The feeling is priceless...something you never truly understand it.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 24 of 32
    paxman said:
    thrang said:
    paxman said:
    Buying a brand new car is like dropping 5 grand or more down a bottomless pit in exchange for a few approving nods and the shortlived satisfaction that you can afford it. (Which for all I know you couldn't, anyway). The flip side to my disdain for chucking money out the window is that features like CarPlay will have to wait. I paid 10 grand for my XC70 with 100,000 clicks on the clock. It should easily do another 100 before I sell it, and it still looks pretty damn new. Well, almost. I have kids and dogs  
    I spend quite a bit of money on cars, and seeking "approving nods" or "short-lived" satisfaction that I can afford it is given no thought. Your post is utterly silly as there are many reasons why someone might buy a luxury vehicle if they are fortunate enough to be able to. Don't be dismissive of others because you can't or choose not to do the same.
    I don't really mean to be dismissive, but very often buying a new car is not really a great way to spend money from a purely financial pov. You can rationalize it all you want, and sure, you may be able to afford it so it doesn't matter, but the truth is that spending 75 grand or whatever on a car is a little silly. But don't be defensive - all you have to tell me (should you care to) is that you LOVE it and I'm all in. I may tell you you are nuts but I will probably love your car all the same. I just bought myself a brand new motorcycle. Silly, I know, and yes, I could have gotten a beautiful used BMW or some such for less than half the price, but I fell in love and that was that. I can tell you all sorts of bullshit about resale value etc, but it was a luxury straight up. 
    It's a trade off for buying a new car. You pay steep depreciation for peace of mind. Spending $75k on a car is silly only for people who can't afford it. I don't see the problem for those who make $200-$300k/yr and get close to 0% interest on finance. At the end of the day, what matters most is about your feeling.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    ZooMigo said:
    paxman said:
    Buying a brand new car is like dropping 5 grand or more down a bottomless pit in exchange for a few approving nods and the shortlived satisfaction that you can afford it. (Which for all I know you couldn't, anyway). The flip side to my disdain for chucking money out the window is that features like CarPlay will have to wait. I paid 10 grand for my XC70 with 100,000 clicks on the clock. It should easily do another 100 before I sell it, and it still looks pretty damn new. Well, almost. I have kids and dogs :) 
    Should I really piss you off and let you know I paid cash for my M240? I wanted it, I saved for it, I bought it.. wrote a check.
    Lol...I would be pissed off if I paid cash for a M240 and realized that a TRUE ///M2 was just released.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    "the version set to debut in next year's 5 Series is completely wireless"  ---->   Then I am definitely NOT buying one. The last thing I want when driving a car is to be nuked by masses of radiation within the vehicle, all bouncing around and reflected off the windows. What a stupid design. Even driving a 1 series in Switzerland last year gave me a headache from all the wireless crap ... and this will be even worse.  At least Porsche have a a functional design where even the phone goes through an external aerial (or used to), so that you don't get radiated in the vehicle.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    wozwoz said:
    "the version set to debut in next year's 5 Series is completely wireless"  ---->   Then I am definitely NOT buying one. The last thing I want when driving a car is to be nuked by masses of radiation within the vehicle, all bouncing around and reflected off the windows. What a stupid design. Even driving a 1 series in Switzerland last year gave me a headache from all the wireless crap ... and this will be even worse.  At least Porsche have a a functional design where even the phone goes through an external aerial (or used to), so that you don't get radiated in the vehicle.
    You should get rid of your TV, radio, cell phone, Microwave oven, chargers, Wifi router or maybe electricity too...and last but not least, move away from the city...Stop complaining about radiation...psss.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 28 of 32
    anantksundaram said:

All the "Build Your Own" sections clearly tell you if the vehicle offers CarPlay not. Just look carefully at the detailed listings under each of the the sections, especially when you get to the 'technology and entertainment' part. (For example, I've been looking at the GLE43 Coupe, and it lists CarPlay as standard.)

If it doesn't mention CarPlay as either being standard or as an option, it probably means that it is not available. For example, it seems to be not available in the GLC models when I took a look. 
    Sorry to quote the same post twice but it's relevant. My wife picked up the ML from service last week and while she was at the dealership grabbed a brochure on the E-Class. Wouldn't you know, on the second page in it lists a bunch of E-Class "Key Features" and in the last column, labeled "Technology", it lists Apple CarPlay. Again, can't find it on their website anywhere (regarding E-Class) but it's in the brochure. 

I can't wait to show the clueless salespeople when they give me that questioning look. 
  • Reply 29 of 32
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sog35 said:

don't understand why people spend big money on a 'performance car' when they get stuck in traffic 90% of the time. I use to buy performance cars until I realized the few fleeting minutes I could actually use its power was so few and far between, it simply was not worth it. 

Now I just want a car that is extremely reliable, technology features, and comfortable. I done with paying for premium gas and expensive low profile tires and higher insurance rates.
    I have a BMW 535 and just like my expensive Macs and expensive Adobe CC, with which I can make a ton of money, I also make money with my BMW. When I take a client out for an expensive meal to discuss a new project, the BMW is simply an extension of my success. I charge probably three times what a Hyundai driving competitor might charge. My clients want to work with people who they perceive to be as successful as they are so I usually get the job. Its like having a couple Italian suits in your wardrobe. It can come in handy. It is a lot easier to be successful when you look successful.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 30 of 32
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member

Now that it's here, it feels like too little, too late. The interior styling and engine has remained largely identical for nearly five years years, yet prices have gone up 15%-25% in the past couple of years (despite the dollar appreciating). 
    Most BMWs for the US market are made in South Carolina. The appreciating US Dollar is not really creating much leverage. All new cars in the US are increasing in price, 2-3% per year.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    What I want to know is when is wireless CarPlay coming to Camaro?!  :)  

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228