More reports circulate suggesting a late-October MacBook Pro, MacBook Air refresh

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    If they care about the Mac, as Apple repeatedly re-iterates, and the Mac is so overdue, and might have significant new features such as the OLED strip, then they need to make an event. 
    watto_cobraentropys
  • Reply 22 of 49
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Maybe they're just manufacturing some random Mac parts to get us to shut up about it for a while.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 23 of 49
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    While I'd like a retina screen MacBook Pro, I don't want to spend the money on a self-destructing device (when used heavily, high CPU/GPU use). All I really care about is a new Mac Pro with a "built for Mac" standalone retina display.

It pisses me off that Apple successfully attracted me to their platform while slowly eliminating any attention to professional content makers' needs. At this point, abandoning the Mac platform would mean abandoning computers entirely because Microsoft (and Linux) successfully rid me of any and all tolerance for the PC platform.
    baconstangewtheckman
  • Reply 24 of 49
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    No love for the iMac or Mac Pro I guess....

It would be so cool to see Apple update its entire lineup (sans 12" MacBook) in one event. 

It would be nice to see a new Mac Pro back to its standard design. I don't think the cylinder design works. Sure, its a cool design, certainly different and I'm sure a lot of engineering went into it, but its not really a MacPro in the end. I think of it as the next gen G4 Cube which also had a cool design, but it wasn't really functional for people (and it was too expensive). I'm sure it works for some people who use it and they think its great. But, its still not a true MacPro. A Xeon CPU doesn't make it a MacPro. They should go back to a mid-sized tower that can accommodate dual CPU's, dual GPU's, storage bays, etc and not rely on expansion chassis and all of this crap you need to have around your pretty looking Mac. Its a pretty computer, but when you need to have all of this crap plugged into the back of it, it looks like the old days of a PC with all these wires going everywhere. 

I still think the iMac should be totally redesigned. Its design has been there for a while. An all glass front with an edge to edge display would I think look stunning. And, no chin! Pair that with a space gray aluminum keyboard with black keys (I still don't understand the white keys these days), and of course, with LED backlighting.

Sounds like the MacBook Pro is going to get its first major redesign in quite some time which I think is nice.

All of this would truly prove that Apple cares about the Mac. They say they do all the time, yet I just don't see it. Its easy to say you do, harder to prove it. I fully recognize Apple didn't have much to upgrade to lately and I've said this numerous times in various threads here, however while you are waiting, do something absolutely spectacular and make it count when you do release them. Don't just release updated processors in the same old design time after time.

The Mac still brings in a significant amount of revenue for Apple (as much as the iPad recently). There are still plenty of reasons to put some significant time and energy (and money) into the platform.  
    edited October 2016 zimmermannewtheckman
  • Reply 25 of 49
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Apple, just about time!
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Control Strip name is nothing new. It was part of MacOS 7.5. see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_Strip and https://512pixels.net/2014/08/the-control-strip/
  • Reply 27 of 49
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    It would be so cool to see Apple update its entire lineup (sans 12" MacBook) in one event.

Actually for fun they could update the whole mac line up, and for the macbook offer an A10 SOC derivative (extra cores, higher clock etc) macbook, that outperforms the m class skylake CPU macbook but for several hundred dollars below skylake macbook, which would still sold alongside the new one.

Apple could probably do this and still preserve its macbook margins.
    edited October 2016 ewtheckman
  • Reply 28 of 49
    frantisek said:
    Control Strip name is nothing new. It was part of MacOS 7.5. see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_Strip and https://512pixels.net/2014/08/the-control-strip/
    Ahh yes...I remember that from when I used the classic MacOS. I used that all the time.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    roakeroake Posts: 811member

I got got this message on the latest version of Logic Pro.  "by clicking on the progress bar in the LCD Progress Indicator."  Is this referring to the new rumored MacBook Pro LCD Bar?  If so, it would imply that the user can interact directly with it (not really a surprise).
    edited October 2016 watto_cobratmaySpamSandwich
  • Reply 30 of 49
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    entropys said:
    It would be so cool to see Apple update its entire lineup (sans 12" MacBook) in one event.

Actually for fun they could update the whole mac line up, and for the macbook offer an A10 SOC derivative (extra cores, higher clock etc) macbook, that outperforms the m class skylake CPU macbook but for several hundred dollars below skylake macbook, which would still sold alongside the new one.

I would disagree.

Why would Apple go to the level of effort creating an ARM Book analog to the Mac Book that would run x86, probably badly, and as slightly lower cost? The entire Mac market is small compared to iOS, and certainly to the rest of x86 market. It would make more sense to create an iOS Book that would compete (better) with Chromebooks, providing a wider range of options for education, and potentially, enterprise.
    canukstormbaconstang
  • Reply 31 of 49
    tmay said:
    entropys said:

I would disagree.

Why would Apple go to the level of effort creating an ARM Book analog to the Mac Book that would run x86, probably badly, and as slightly lower cost? The entire Mac market is small compared to iOS, and certainly to the rest of x86 market. It would make more sense to create an iOS Book that would compete (better) with Chromebooks, providing a wider range of options for education, and potentially, enterprise.
    That I think is what they want to do with the iPad line. There really wouldn't be much difference between an iPad with a smart keyboard and an iOS Book (or whatever they'd call it). Its still running iOS on the same hardware. What Apple actually needs is a suite like Google Apps for Education as a real reason to use an iOS device. More and more schools are switching to this, and its even caught Microsoft off guard who also has something similar in Office365 finally. I don't see this anywhere on Apple's radar....Maybe it will be a feature of Apple Classroom down the road, but it will be too late by then. 
  • Reply 32 of 49
    My four year old Mac laptop is showing its years... Might be time for a new one---but I would need to see more impressive tech other than new ports to justify a big expenditure.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    If there is an event, invitation should be sent out today, no? Anyway, let's hope there is still something left for Apple to delight us. BTW, when can we preorder the AirPods? Thinking about buying 5 and sell them on Amazon.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    So is Apple killing the Mac Pro and Mac mini?
  • Reply 35 of 49
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    williamh said:
    flaneur said:
    emoeller said:
    I'm waiting to replace my 2009 iMac with a Kaby Lake version (either iMac or MacPro).  
    anome said:

There's not a lot of October left, they need to do something soon.

And with the new hardware, you'd expect an event to show them off. Unless they're holding over the OLED panel for the next version.

I'd be surprised if there are enough OLED panels on Earth to supply Apple's laptop needs economically. But then I like surprises.
    I don't know.  The volume of laptops is MUCH lower than the volume of phones and we're just talking about the control strip over the keyboard, right?  Is there much point to a full OLED laptop?
    Aha. I thought you were talking about the screen. Never mind.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    flaneur said:
    emoeller said:
    I'm waiting to replace my 2009 iMac with a Kaby Lake version (either iMac or MacPro).  
    anome said:

There's not a lot of October left, they need to do something soon.

And with the new hardware, you'd expect an event to show them off. Unless they're holding over the OLED panel for the next version.

I'd be surprised if there are enough OLED panels on Earth to supply Apple's laptop needs economically. But then I like surprises.
    Btw I didn't respond to you yesterday - the startup that claims they'll be able to release a $1k autonomous driving kit - this year - is comma . ai Personally, I'm not sure I would trust them as the founder looks like an irresponsible madman but it seems the kit works, just not sure how welll
  • Reply 37 of 49
    emoeller said:
    Exact same for me. Come on, Apple, throw us desktop holdouts a bone. 
  • Reply 38 of 49
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    emoeller said:
    Exact same for me. Come on, Apple, throw us desktop holdouts a bone. 
    I curious about Apple's strategy here too. I'm going to need to replace my 2009 iMac as well, and I can see a couple of options from the iMac: pair a third party display with either a laptop/docking station or a mac mini. Oddly, the latter is probably better for my physical space, so I'll likely go that way. 4k and 5k displays are getting way inexpensive, and a modular setup has a lot more flexibility (as opposed to the all in one iMac.) 

I wonder if that LED keyboard strip could be put on a keyboard for desktops?
  • Reply 39 of 49
    AppleBumAppleBum Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    I wonder if we'll see the wide color gamut in the new MBPs that the iPhone 7/7 Plus have. I suspect so. I'm excited for the new models to be released because it means I can finally retire my mid 2010 MBP that likes to randomly kernel panic.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ^^^ Thanks, I'll check it out.