Angela Ahrendts interview addresses Apple retail refurb, town square concept successes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    Your judging her pay of $100 million based off what you see, she is a formerBurburry CEO, maybe she's getting paid money for the fashion knowledge she's bringing to the table... also  the whole townhall concept is a good way to draw in local customers and get them buying Mac products. Get them involved, get them liking the product. After all Apple is built on making products just work right out of the box for the non computer geek people.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    sog35 said:
    2 years on the job
    $100+ million in compensation

pretty much nothing to show

was this hire just based on diversity?

what contributions has she really done?

planting trees in the stores is the only thing I notice
    Come back and comment when you've earned your first $100 million.
    nolamacguyargonautlostkiwicrowley
  • Reply 23 of 42
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    luvappl said:
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    2 years on the job

You cannot be serious? You've jumped off the deep end sog. She's one of the most inspiring leaders I've ever known of. Apple's new stores are the most beautiful stores I've ever seen. Her vision and clarity and taste and sensibleness are nothing short of amazing. She is a great individual.
    And they were crap before she was there? $100 million for some pretty obvious tweaks and frankly not much retail innovation (my g-friend is a global retail expert and has plenty of insight... says she hasn't contributed anything that a senior retail consultant couldn't manage... for about $400k a year).

"She's one of the most inspiring leaders I've ever known of"... your bar is seriously low... you'd give McDs a Michelin star
    Hey, would you ask your girlfriend if she could get me a deal on one of those 6K video walls like they have in the Apple stores?

Thing is, I think they contracted those things out for $1.5 million each, and they had a crew of 30 or so with people travelling all around the continent and the world, but I don't want a bunch of people tramping around my house and yard, so maybe she could figure out a way to get it done with less people, but I want everybody to speak English and not cut any corners . . . 
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 24 of 42
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    2 years on the job

What do you want her to do? Who would do better (male or female)?
    free coffee and pastries to start 
    I'd like to have a lounge area in an apple store where i can sip on coffee and eat a free danish
    So in other words...you really can't answer my question. I figured! 

bdkennedy said:
    sog35 said:
    2 years on the job

He's waiting for Apple to make him his first $100 Million and will continue you spout out about how he can run a Fortune 500 company better than everyone else until he gets it. 
    edited October 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 25 of 42
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    luvappl said:
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    2 years on the job

You cannot be serious? You've jumped off the deep end sog. She's one of the most inspiring leaders I've ever known of. Apple's new stores are the most beautiful stores I've ever seen. Her vision and clarity and taste and sensibleness are nothing short of amazing. She is a great individual.
    And they were crap before she was there? $100 million for some pretty obvious tweaks and frankly not much retail innovation (my g-friend is a global retail expert and has plenty of insight... says she hasn't contributed anything that a senior retail consultant couldn't manage... for about $400k a year).

"She's one of the most inspiring leaders I've ever known of"... your bar is seriously low... you'd give McDs a Michelin star
    Your gf is a global retail export. So has she managed retail solutions for a company with $200+ bn per year in sales?

So instead of continuous leadership, you want Apple to have temporary leadership for months at a time, non Apple employees to have access to Apple's data, different leadership with different ways of doing things?

In case you haven't noticed, Apple retail isn't run-of-the-mill retail. It is entirely different. 
    nolamacguyargonautireland
  • Reply 26 of 42
    crowley said:
    She's doing a great job from what I can see.
    I agree. I like her and I like the plants in the stores.

argonautlostkiwicrowley
  • Reply 27 of 42
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    2 years on the job

I'd like to have a lounge area in an apple store where i can sip on coffee and eat a free danish
    Just go to the Starbucks next door. It's basically a store full of Apple employees wearing aprons. Eventually, you'll notice that same employee who helped you at Starbucks is now wearing a blue shirt and holding an iPad at the front entrance of the Apple Store.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    An artist sketching and a guy playing a guitar? Sure, why not bring in a homeless guy to sleep and pee on the floor and make it just like San Francisco.  Get rid of Ahrendts before she Marissa Meyers Apple Retail.  The only thing Apple Retail needs to do is double the size of every store, maybe add a cafe and call it a day. Stop worrying about the retail stores and update the Mac Mini, Mac Pro and the Cinema displays which haven't been refreshed in 1860 days as of today.
    what the fuck do the mac hardware engineering teams have to do with retail? nothing, thats what. absolutely nothing. go hate somewhere else
    ireland
  • Reply 29 of 42

ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    2 years on the job

The thing you're battling with that idea is you need a trained barista to make the coffee and it creates noise and takes up lots of space. You need space for tables and chairs and a room for making the coffee and pretty soon you've 1/3 of the store used up and that's not Apple's business.
    not to mention the insane entitlement on sog's part to expect free food. what the hell. go to costco if you're hard up for free samples...
  • Reply 30 of 42
    sog35 said:
    2 years on the job

Clearly you're back short again or just want back in at a lower price.  Just to be clear, bashing here has zero effect on stock price movement.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 31 of 42
    luvappl said:
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    2 years on the job

well shit, if your girlfriend said so...guys -- close down this forum, "luvappl" 's girlfriend has it all figured out, we can go home!

absurd. but that being said i think the corporate executive class is given a disgusting amount of compensation compared to the majority of the workforce, and i hope this changes one day. wealth does not need to be concentrated at the top. (but yeah, try telling that to the corporate boards who set these wages and are, not coincidentally, at the top).
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 32 of 42
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    tshapi said:
    Your judging her pay of $100 million based off what you see, she is a formerBurburry CEO, maybe she's getting paid money for the fashion knowledge she's bringing to the table... also  the whole townhall concept is a good way to draw in local customers and get them buying Mac products. Get them involved, get them liking the product. After all Apple is built on making products just work right out of the box for the non computer geek people.
    She got paid more the first year because she lost vesting options st burburry 
    doubt she gets 100m  a year
    welshdoglostkiwi
  • Reply 33 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    bdkennedy said:
    sog35 said:
    2 years on the job

I don't think he needs to have a $100M to criticise her. The issue is he's wrong.
    edited October 2016 lostkiwimacxpress
  • Reply 34 of 42

ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    2 years on the job

The thing you're battling with that idea is you need a trained barista to make the coffee and it creates noise and takes up lots of space. You need space for tables and chairs and a room for making the coffee and pretty soon you've 1/3 of the store used up and that's not Apple's business.
    not to mention the insane entitlement on sog's part to expect free food. what the hell. go to costco if you're hard up for free samples...
    Don't know if he mentioned it be free.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ireland said:

ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    2 years on the job

You expect me to pay for food and coffee?!!! /s
    ireland
  • Reply 36 of 42
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    ireland said:

ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    2 years on the job

He did. In one of the posts in the thread you're responding to.

sog35 said:
    macxpress said: 
    I'd like to have a lounge area in an apple store where i can sip on coffee and eat a free Danish

The irony is that if Apple did that, the chances you, as an individual, would get an opportunity to use it is pretty low. Free coffee and Danish would mean a lot of people coming in to just get the free coffee and Danish. So you come in to sip coffee and eat a free Danish, but there's a huge queue, and nowhere to sit, and then someone spills their free coffee on the display iPads...

Apple would be much better off doing a deal so that there's a Starbucks or Peet's next door to every Apple store...wait a minute, there already is. Or near enough. And they have free wifi, too. You do have to pay for the coffee and Danish, though.

• Reply 37 of 42
    Free coffee and Danish? You've officially lost it sog. People complain about the stores being too crowded and your solution is to make them smaller (coffee section takes space) and give out free coffee and danish.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 38 of 42
    "The goal is to help foster human experiences that draw people out of their digital bubbles."
    But I was getting so used to mine... and what is this "human experience" that this carbon-based life form speaks of?

• Reply 39 of 42
    Well, regretting in advance that this will upset Ireland, sensitive soul that he is, I haven't seen anything she's done that made the stores better. Actually better, not just slightly different than they were.

Trees are fairly silly, as will be seen in a year or three--leaves dropping, water leaks, mold generation, branches needing trimming, etc. This was all seen the first time around in the 1970s when identical tree pods were flourishing in malls and office buildings everywhere. Really, it was an architectural cliche of the first order back then. You don't see them anymore for very good reasons.

I think her next innovation will be to replace every wall surface with a floor-to-ceiling video screen to inspire a sense of (Inside Tip: that's mandatory design speak, people, "a sense of") light, movement, youth, and positivity. Like a Hong Kong nightmare without the incessant music...so far. Then the screens will wrap around the corners, because corners are dead spots where nothing happens. Now there will be a sense of flow and immersion as videos surround you 360°.

But the problems remain: the lines are long, the staff makes itself scarce, and there's still no seating unless you're being served at the Genius Forum / Table / Don't Dare Call It A Bar. The noise levels are torturous (maybe even tortious too, but IANAL).

• Reply 40 of 42
    farmboy said:
    Well, regretting in advance that this will upset Ireland, sensitive soul that he is, I haven't seen anything she's done that made the stores better. Actually better, not just slightly different than they were.

Trees are fairly silly, as will be seen in a year or three--leaves dropping, water leaks, mold generation, branches needing trimming, etc. This was all seen the first time around in the 1970s when identical tree pods were flourishing in malls and office buildings everywhere. Really, it was an architectural cliche of the first order back then. You don't see them anymore for very good reasons.

I think her next innovation will be to replace every wall surface with a floor-to-ceiling video screen to inspire a sense of (Inside Tip: that's mandatory design speak, people, "a sense of") light, movement, youth, and positivity. Like a Hong Kong nightmare without the incessant music...so far. Then the screens will wrap around the corners, because corners are dead spots where nothing happens. Now there will be a sense of flow and immersion as videos surround you 360°.

But the problems remain: the lines are long, the staff makes itself scarce, and there's still no seating unless you're being served at the Genius Forum / Table / Don't Dare Call It A Bar. The noise levels are torturous (maybe even tortious too, but IANAL).

A bit harsh and snarky, but your core observations have some merit. My only substantive disagreement is about the staff.  Have always found them ready and willing.  
    edited October 2016