Samsung sets up Note 7 exchange booths at airports around the world

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    1st said:
    Apple should have a booth there, too, for exchanging Note 7 with iPhone 7. 

a bit tricky if sammy doing data transfer on spot... can't do that using iphone... just wondering if they do the data transfer and set up for new replacement?  if they do, that is impressive (just see how many app people download it... move to a new phone is not that easy on the "flight", even they are similar platform - droid). 

I don't think Samsung is even bothered with doing a data transfer. They'd hem and haw and say it'd take 3 hours to do a transfer. I don't think anyone with a flight to catch will want to wait.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 45
    i could not imagine if samsng manufacture condoms or sex toys
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 45
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    1st said:
    Apple should have a booth there, too, for exchanging Note 7 with iPhone 7. 

a bit tricky if sammy doing data transfer on spot... can't do that using iphone... just wondering if they do the data transfer and set up for new replacement?  if they do, that is impressive (just see how many app people download it... move to a new phone is not that easy on the "flight", even they are similar platform - droid). 

I don't think Samsung is even bothered with doing a data transfer. They'd hem and haw and say it'd take 3 hours to do a transfer. I don't think anyone with a flight to catch will want to wait.

I have no idea what speeds their phones can do over wired connections, but since most iPhones top out around 25 MB/sec and it is likely that Samsungs are similar to that, I'd suspect a 128GB phone would take at least 1.5 hours.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    anome said:
    macgui said:
    anome said: I suspect a large number of consumers can't either, and so there might be a few S7s or even HTC phones thrown in the bin.
    I'm sure you must be right since it's absolutely impossible for anyone to know the model number of any given Samsung product, and there's no possible way to alert the TSA of exactly what to look for and how to ID a Note 7. Just like it's impossible to determine if an iPhone is a 6 or 6s. 

We're all doomed.

I didn't say it was impossible, just that some(many) people don't actually know what model their phone is. That includes iPhone users. Many people don't set out to buy an "iPhone 7" or a "Samsung Galaxy Note" they just go with the one the sales person tells them has the features they want, or that comes free with the phone plan that lets them call their kids/parents/mistress for free.

Note, I'm also not saying these people are particularly stupid, just that they don't care about that kind of detail.

As for the TSA, they have to deal with a lot of people in the average US airport - every single one of whom is in a hurry, and I doubt they particularly have the time or care enough to check whether a phone is a particular model. Plus there have been many incidents of them confiscating things they shouldn't, and letting through things on the banned list.

The TSA doesn't give a crap how much of a hurry you're in. If they suspect your phone is a Note 7, you're gonna be pulled aside. Its quite apparent what phone is a Note 7. 
  • Reply 45 of 45
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 is not the company’s only smartphone prone to dangerous explosions, according to a new lawsuit that says a Galaxy S6 Active shot out flames 5in high and left one user with “melted flesh”.

The complaint, which alleges that Samsung has known for years that its technology was hazardous, comes amid an embarrassing and expansive recall of 1.9m Galaxy Note 7 devices after it was revealed that the lithium ion battery was causing combustions.

The lawsuit, filed Wednesday in US district court in California, suggests that the tech malfunctions extend beyond the Galaxy Note 7 and that Samsung “chose to conceal the problem from the public … despite knowing the foreseeable and predictable risk that the phone may overheat, flame and destruct from the inside presenting a risk of serious harm or injury”.

The problems with the Series 7 phones are “just the tip of the iceberg”, said Frank Pitre, the attorney for Brandon Covert and his wife Jennifer who allegedly dealt with a fiery explosion of a Galaxy S6 Active.

The reports also mentioned problems with the Galaxy S2, Galaxy Tab 2, Galaxy Tab 3, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4 Active, Galaxy S5, Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge.

“As the batteries progressed and became more powerful, the consequences became more significant,” said Gene Stonebarger, another attorney representing the Coverts. “This information is being repressed and has not been made public by Samsung. They are clearly aware of the dangers of their phones beyond the [Galaxy Note 7].”

This information is being repressed and hasn't been made public. Samsung is clearly aware of the dangers of their phones
    Gene Stonebarger, another attorney representing the Coverts
    The suit, which seeks unspecified damages, said the “smell of toxic fumes, scorched metal, burnt flesh, and smoke filled [the Coverts’] bedroom, making it uninhabitable for several days following the explosion and fire”.

Stonebarger said the Coverts’ case and the past consumer complaints indicate that there should be much broader recalls and that Samsung should face extensive government investigations.

“People should not have to live in fear that they are walking around with a ticking time bomb.”

A Samsung spokesperson declined to comment.
    watto_cobrakudu