Owners of Apple's 2016 12-inch MacBook report USB-C to HDMI adapter flickering

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 40
    KWCH, I used your video as part of a change.org petition. It's unacceptable this problem has still not been acknowledged or fixed even after the release of 10.12.1. Let's see if this gets us anywhere: https://www.change.org/p/apple-fix-external-display-flickering-in-12-macbooks
  • Reply 22 of 40
    paullywise: I signed the petition, can't hurt.

    Thanks to AI for giving exposure to this issue, I was really glad to learn I'm not alone. I even returned a brand new Dell screen thinking it was to blame for this problem...
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Rule of thumb:  Never buy the first version of a new or completely redesigned Apple product.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Rule of thumb:  Never buy the first version of a new or completely redesigned Apple product.
    Totally agree and this is exactly why I bought the 2016 MacBook 12" instead of the 2015 one. But here we're talking about issues on the *2016*
  • Reply 25 of 40
    KWCHKWCH Posts: 14member
    KWCH, I used your video as part of a change.org petition. It's unacceptable this problem has still not been acknowledged or fixed even after the release of 10.12.1. Let's see if this gets us anywhere: https://www.change.org/p/apple-fix-external-display-flickering-in-12-macbooks
    Hi! It's not my video, I found it on YouTube.

    I signed in.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    KWCHKWCH Posts: 14member
    gloom said:
    Rule of thumb:  Never buy the first version of a new or completely redesigned Apple product.
    Totally agree and this is exactly why I bought the 2016 MacBook 12" instead of the 2015 one. But here we're talking about issues on the *2016*
    I'm so regret to have sold my 2015 and got the 2016... real pain in the S
  • Reply 27 of 40
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,802member
    gloom said:
    Rule of thumb:  Never buy the first version of a new or completely redesigned Apple product.
    Totally agree and this is exactly why I bought the 2016 MacBook 12" instead of the 2015 one. But here we're talking about issues on the *2016*
    Unfortunately you are right but even so, the best advice is to steer we'll clear of first generation Macs.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Acknowledging that I've also had this same problem. In fact, I recently had my whole logic board replaced which meant all my data was lost too (be sure to back up)! I've also had the multiport adapter replaced. Neither the new adapter, nor the new logic board made a difference. It still flickers, and then this week the power adapter stopped charging. Took the MacBook back to the authorised reseller to get it fixed, they reseated the logic board and it's all good again. Sadly the flicker issue is still unresolved :-(
  • Reply 29 of 40
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    avon b7 said:
    gloom said:
    Rule of thumb:  Never buy the first version of a new or completely redesigned Apple product.
    Totally agree and this is exactly why I bought the 2016 MacBook 12" instead of the 2015 one. But here we're talking about issues on the *2016*
    Unfortunately you are right but even so, the best advice is to steer we'll clear of first generation Macs.
    I have to disagree. I bought the first FireWire PowerBook, and I bought the first Intel MacBook. They were the two best Macs I've ever had. Both still work perfectly to this day.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    KWCHKWCH Posts: 14member
    It's a complete waste of time, after a month I am hearing nothing from Apple,
    after providing all requested information.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,802member
    mac_128 said:
    avon b7 said:
    gloom said:
    Rule of thumb:  Never buy the first version of a new or completely redesigned Apple product.
    Totally agree and this is exactly why I bought the 2016 MacBook 12" instead of the 2015 one. But here we're talking about issues on the *2016*
    Unfortunately you are right but even so, the best advice is to steer we'll clear of first generation Macs.
    I have to disagree. I bought the first FireWire PowerBook, and I bought the first Intel MacBook. They were the two best Macs I've ever had. Both still work perfectly to this day.
    And you were very fortunate but the general advice remains, a compeletly new design is untested in the wild. You will be better off with a minor revision down the line and might even see more specs at a cheaper price. 
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Wenhui FuWenhui Fu Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I confirm that this problem still exists with MacBook (12-inch, 2016) and the LG UltraFine 4K display (direct USB-C input, using DP alternate mode over USB-C). So it must be a problem in hardware / software instead of cable or adapter.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Wenhui Fu said:
    I confirm that this problem still exists with MacBook (12-inch, 2016) and the LG UltraFine 4K display (direct USB-C input, using DP alternate mode over USB-C). So it must be a problem in hardware / software instead of cable or adapter.
    Thanks for letting us know, I was considering this purchase as a potential solution. The news on the issue are quite depressing, I'm almost at the point to just wanting to sell the thing an buy a new MacBook Pro...
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 34 of 40
    I had the 2015, no issues, bought the 2016 m7 and had it from day one. We have another one at the office and it has the same issue. 

    I emailed Apple and they had an engineer work with me to capture logs when it happens. 

    They came back and said they couldn't find any issues. They asked me to do it again. 

    So, I repeated the process, Sent the files with a video back to them and nobody ever got back to me. 

    This has been a couple of months since they called me the first time. 

    I just want to take this back and not use this. 50% of my work is doing presentations and I had to switch to a Microsoft Surface because my Macbook 2016 Retina can't get through a presentation without disconnecting from the external display. 
  • Reply 35 of 40
    mwa3aan said:
    I just want to take this back and not use this. 50% of my work is doing presentations and I had to switch to a Microsoft Surface because my Macbook 2016 Retina can't get through a presentation without disconnecting from the external display. 
    This is infuriating, welcome to the support group... I didn't find the courage to call Apple Support about the issue knowing it will be a total waste of time and a cable/display blame game. The random nature of the bug makes it hard to get warranty coverage. But I will try to file a ticket to give more visibility to the problem.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    KWCHKWCH Posts: 14member
    Exactly the same for me, 2015 model is fine and 2016 model has these flickerings since day 1.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    KWCHKWCH Posts: 14member
    mwa3aan said:
    I had the 2015, no issues, bought the 2016 m7 and had it from day one. We have another one at the office and it has the same issue. 

    I emailed Apple and they had an engineer work with me to capture logs when it happens. 

    They came back and said they couldn't find any issues. They asked me to do it again. 

    So, I repeated the process, Sent the files with a video back to them and nobody ever got back to me. 

    This has been a couple of months since they called me the first time. 

    I just want to take this back and not use this. 50% of my work is doing presentations and I had to switch to a Microsoft Surface because my Macbook 2016 Retina can't get through a presentation without disconnecting from the external display. 
    Exactly the same for me, 2015 model is fine and 2016 model has these flickerings since day 1.
    The flickerings are more frequent if Internet is being used at the same time.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    KWCHKWCH Posts: 14member
    mwa3aan said:
    I had the 2015, no issues, bought the 2016 m7 and had it from day one. We have another one at the office and it has the same issue. 

    I emailed Apple and they had an engineer work with me to capture logs when it happens. 

    They came back and said they couldn't find any issues. They asked me to do it again. 

    So, I repeated the process, Sent the files with a video back to them and nobody ever got back to me. 

    This has been a couple of months since they called me the first time. 

    I just want to take this back and not use this. 50% of my work is doing presentations and I had to switch to a Microsoft Surface because my Macbook 2016 Retina can't get through a presentation without disconnecting from the external display. 
    They lied to you.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Just got my mbp and i can confirm the same thing as in the movie. Some HDMI out work just fine. Some flicker and are unusable (while working without issues on a colleague's macbook air). 

    Joining the angry mob here. Is there any solution to this ?

    Cheers, 
  • Reply 40 of 40
    gloomgloom Posts: 5member
    I should have reported back here but the problem is gone for me since roughly 2 months. The issue is that I don't know what I've done to fix it though. Same screen, same cables, etc. I can now dock/undock at will without any reboot and I'm experiencing no flickering at all.

    Could it be related to the macOS 10.12.2 update? Maybe. I also went through an obsessive process of making sure that _everything_ was up-to-date on my Mac: apps (from App Store and elsewhere), Parallels, MS Office, ScanSnap driver, etc. Sorry for the lack of concrete solution but it shows that the it might be software-related rather than hardware.
Sign In or Register to comment.