Apple exec Eddy Cue talks future of TV at Vanity Fair event

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    It's time to get rid of Cue. He was successful in previous ventures with Job's backing but now that he doesn't have that, he is flogging in whatever Apple has got him doing. His star in Apple is dimming fast if you quantify that in terms of his responsibilities at Apple.

To think that the Apple TV user interface is what is going to replace the cable TV's offerings is a joke! I have been buying all versions of Apple TV and I have hardly used them simply because they are not good substitute from what the cable companies provide. 

I am an Apple fanboy, having thousands of shares, have bought every year iPhones, iPads, and iMacs/MacBook Pro so don't tell me I don't have a leg to stand on. Apple is losing its mojo. It's time for Apple to get rid of Eddie Cue.
    rogifan_newpalomine
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Rayz2016 said:
    AI in the pipeline. 
    TV in the pipeline. 

Might be be better to go back to the good old days of keeping quiet until you have something to show. 

That's why they are getting Mario. The pipeline is clogged up!
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    osguia said:
    It's time to get rid of Cue. He was successful in previous ventures with Job's backing but now that he doesn't have that, he is flogging in whatever Apple has got him doing. His star in Apple is dimming fast if you quantify that in terms of his responsibilities at Apple.

To think that the Apple TV user interface is what is going to replace the cable TV's offerings is a joke! I have been buying all versions of Apple TV and I have hardly used them simply because they are not good substitute from what the cable companies provide. 

I am an Apple fanboy, having thousands of shares, have bought every year iPhones, iPads, and iMacs/MacBook Pro so don't tell me I don't have a leg to stand on. Apple is losing its mojo. It's time for Apple to get rid of Eddie Cue.
    If folk would kindly put guff like 'I am an Apple fanboy because I own *insert device list here*' at the top of their comments then I can stop reading the post much sooner. 

Thanks. 

nolamacguy
  • Reply 24 of 26
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    What the Apple TV needs is a good connection to get KODI on it. Tons of current shows stream real well. Most new movies are available (beats Neflix easily).  
      Can watch whatever sports I want (they wven archive and some replay all NFL games
  • Reply 25 of 26
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    So the future of TV is a grid of apps?
    Or just as bad: the remote used to navigate them. It's not that the ATV remote is bad (IMO) it is that it isn't great, or even better than existing devices. The only time I use the Siri feature is "what did he say?" But of course, by the time I realize I didn't hear it, and then start fishing around for the damn remote, i'm 30s later in the program, and it's a huge hassle, and more trouble than it is worth. That is one feature that needs instant on with no button. Somehow.

One ATV feature that Apple should look at is the Channels/HDHomeRun technology for OTA integration. Put that into ATV, and it will be popular. Would require adding TV tuners and a coax fitting to the little box; although I do wonder if an HDMI connection to an HDTV could be used. There is some type of technology where the HDMI connection can control the TV, but I've no idea if that would work.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

bdkennedy said:
    For years we keep hearing about where Apple thinks TV is going. And here we are still waiting.
    who's waiting? ATV4 is great. i don't have cable and don't have to use a shitty cable box. i buy what i want, or stream. itunes, hbo, netflix, plex, and a few network apps...living in the future. 

Its certainly better than previous versions, but its certainly not the future of TV. At least, I hope its not. Channels are still tied to a cable subscription to see live TV. A true fix would be something like download the HGTV app and do a monthly in-app purchase to subscribe to it, then download say NBC Sports and subscribe to it with the option every month of canceling that channel. This would totally eliminate the need to buy a $150 package just to get the one channel you want to watch. 

Then once you're subscribed to the channel you not only get access to live TV, but also maybe interactive content (maybe even live interactive content), previous episodes, etc. This is why you'd need a separate app and not just a package with a bunch of channels inside it.