iPhone 7 made up 43% of Apple's US iPhone sales in Q3, data says

Posted:
in iPhone
The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus reportedly represented 43 percent of Apple's U.S. iPhone sales in the third quarter, even though they were only available for the last two weeks of the frame.

The outsized share is actually due not just to "positive reception" for the iPhone 7, but slower sales of older models in the run-up to the phone's Sept. 16 launch, said Consumer Intelligence Research Partners, quoted by Investor's Business Daily. The standard iPhone 7 accounted for 31 percent of sales, giving the 7 Plus 12 percent.

The next-most popular device was the iPhone SE, with a 9 percent share. The CIRP didn't detail iPhone 6s sales, but sales of existing iPhones tend to fall off sharply in the weeks immediately ahead of new flagship models.

CIRP did note that among iPhone 7/7 Plus buyers, 17 percent were upgrading from a 6s model, while 36 percent were making the leap from an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. Only about 9 percent were switching from Android -- much lower than the 17 to 21 percent rate for other iPhone buyers.

That gap wasn't explained, but like the iPhone 6s, the iPhone 7 is mostly an incremental upgrade, with features like faster processors and better cameras. That may leave little reason for Android owners to switch if they haven't already, particularly since the iPhone 7 also omits a headphone jack.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    While all of these numbers are only guesstimates, it will be interesting to see if the switching rate from Android increases as a result of the Note 7 debacle.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Doomed! Imagine the numbers if the 7 wasn't "boring" or if the 7 had an exciting design as the Pixel! /s
    calitycho24rob55magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    The SE and Plus are the least compromised iPhones. They do what they do and do it well.  The regular 6 and 7 feel like compromises. for me anyway. I don't sit all day in front of a desk or carry a purse so I need the SE. Then when I have more time the bigger battery and screen size makes the plus the best all around device. The plus makes the iPads obsolete for personal consumption. I always found them not ergonomical for holding in the hand and that includes the mini.

The larger pro sounds like another good option as it's an actual dedicated work tool that is meant to be planted on a desk and not meant for long term holding. 
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 4 of 14
    sog35 said:
    qwwera said:
    The SE and Plus are the least compromised iPhones. They do what they do and do it well.  The regular 6 and 7 feel like compromises. for me anyway. I don't sit all day in front of a desk or carry a purse so I need the SE. Then when I have more time the bigger battery and screen size makes the plus the best all around device. The plus makes the iPads obsolete for personal consumption. I always found them not ergonomical for holding in the hand and that includes the mini.

The larger pro sounds like another good option as it's an actual dedicated work tool that is meant to be planted on a desk and not meant for long term holding. 
    You could get a 7 with a battery case. Boom.

Most normal people the battery life in the 6 and 7 is fine. For those with extra needs can buy a battery case.

I use a 6+ and it fits my pockets fine. And I'm not a fat dude. I just don't wear skinny jeans and tight dress pants.
    A 6 Plus is a great choice. I think if you want a bigger phone that's the one to get. But I doubt you work construction or are out and about all day living a very active lifestyle. I would carry the plus with me all the time too but I find it cumbersome and KNOW I would break it. I do keep my Plus in the glove compartment though incase I need to look up something or the batter on the SE is running low.

like i said in you sit I a desk all day or are at home all day, then the SE is not the best one for you. But if you are very active then it's a must.

we are all different and choice is a good thing, but I still say the regular one is a compromise. Yet next years models may be far more compact and may make the regular iPhone as compact as an SE and make it a good option. But as it stands, the regular iPhone 6 and 7 are compromises I wouldn't choose.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 5 of 14
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    sog35 said:
    jungmark said:
    Doomed! Imagine the numbers if the 7 wasn't "boring" or if the 7 had an exciting design as the Pixel! /s
    Blows my mind how much the tech media is praising the Pixel.

Its absolutely ridiculous that the tech media bashed the iPhone7 non stop for its design.
    And then the Pixel comes out with a design very similiar to the iPhone7 but uglier ( ugly antenna lines, chin with no button, ugly glass square on the back) and they praise it to high heaven.

Just shows the tech media is EXTREMELY BIASED and are hoping beyond hope for a phone to beat the iPhone.
    ... and no waterproofing!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    sog35 said:
    jungmark said:

Its absolutely ridiculous that the tech media bashed the iPhone7 non stop for its design.
    And then the Pixel comes out with a design very similiar to the iPhone7 but uglier ( ugly antenna lines, chin with no button, ugly glass square on the back) and they praise it to high heaven.

Just shows the tech media is EXTREMELY BIASED and are hoping beyond hope for a phone to beat the iPhone.
    It's an echo-chamber where they all know each other and group think. Their Note 7 literally blew up in their faces so they needed something else to cling to.

Their doomsday scenario about the upcoming 3.5 headphone jack apocalypse didn't pan out. All the punditry didn't cause widespread riots and no one cared, like no one will give a cräp about the Pixel either.
    edited October 2016 magman1979muadibewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    But what the tech media are not talking about is what the Pixel (and other hardware items meant to be sold at large scale) implies about Google.  That they are (at least contemplating) pivoting on their business model from advertising focused for current services, to h/w focused, to fund the AI services.  Google talked about AI being the future, but the question is how to turn that into a business model.  Advertising likely does not work, as it is hard to see where clicking / viewing an ad works with an AI assistant.  

So, how does Google make this a business?  Clearly they looked to Apple's model.  Apple has been using premium H/W sales as the primary business model, which funds s/w, and some services, for their entire ecosystem and user experience.  

A few takeaways then:
    - Google is implicitly indicating that Apple's h/w centric business model is what they are moving towards to monetize AI and related services
    - For the media & Wall Stree, what does this say about their focus on "advertising" as the greatest model of all time for tech, having given Alphabet and Facebook sky high valuations?
    - And while Google no doubt has the lead in AI, how successful will they be in competing in the premium h/w space, against Apple (who has been doing it since their existence), and also their Android "partners"?  It will be a long slog, having to make partnerships with carriers, retail, etc that they have never done before.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    sog35 said:
    qwwera said:
    sog35 said:
    qwwera said:

Most normal people the battery life in the 6 and 7 is fine. For those with extra needs can buy a battery case.

I use a 6+ and it fits my pockets fine. And I'm not a fat dude. I just don't wear skinny jeans and tight dress pants.
    A 6 Plus is a great choice. I think if you want a bigger phone that's the one to get. But I doubt you work construction or are out and about all day living a very active lifestyle. I would carry the plus with me all the time too but I find it cumbersome and KNOW I would break it. I do keep my Plus in the glove compartment though incase I need to look up something or the batter on the SE is running low.

like i said in you sit I a desk all day or are at home all day, then the SE is not the best one for you. But if you are very active then it's a must.

we are all different and choice is a good thing, but I still say the regular one is a compromise. Yet next years models may be far more compact and may make the regular iPhone as compact as an SE and make it a good option. But as it stands, the regular iPhone 6 and 7 are compromises I wouldn't choose.
    why not just get a battery case for the 6 or 7?  Whats wrong with that?
    Why not just get the one with the bigger battery built in AND a bigger screen to go with it, plus an extra camera.  
    But hey we're all different, and have different uses which is cool.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    sog35 said:
    qwwera said:
    sog35 said:
    qwwera said:
    sog35 said:
    qwwera said:

Why not just get the one with the bigger battery built in AND a bigger screen to go with it, plus an extra camera.  
    but you said the plus is too big.

Wont a 7 with a battery case be smaller than the 7+?
    Well I own both an SE and a 7plus. Best of both. No compromise.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    The Guardian -- no friend of Apple, so it's obviously to be taken with a shovel of salt -- is reporting a story of an Australian who claims his car nearly caught fire because an iPhone 7's batttery exploded: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/21/iphone-7-car-fire-australia-exploding-battery-samsung

I've been (sadly) expecting that something like this will pop up, and wouldn't you know...

(Btw, I sent the story to AI as well, so it may show up as a blog, who knows).

Add: The story is also on Fortune, CNET, Yahoo News, and Mashable.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 11 of 14
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    The Guardian -- no friend of Apple, so it's obviously to be taken with a shovel of salt -- is reporting a story of an Australian who claims his car nearly caught fire because an iPhone 7's batttery exploded: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/21/iphone-7-car-fire-australia-exploding-battery-samsung

I've been (sadly) expecting that something like this will pop up, and wouldn't you know...

(Btw, I sent the story to AI as well, so it may show up as a blog, who knows).

Add: The story is also on Fortune, CNET, Yahoo News, and Mashable.
    Having listened to the news video, it did state that he had left the phone wrapped in his pants while he went for a surfing lesson, and that it was already smouldering when he returned. While it's too early to tell if this is in fact the fault of the iPhone, it is troubling, especially after the Note 7 fiasco.

I think device manufacturers, especially Apple, need to double-down on battery research, and start making headway in that field. Battery technology has been truly stagnant over the last decade, and with ever increasing demands being placed on them, we need better, more powerful, and most certainly, more reliable and safer technology, and fast!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,689member
    qwwera said:
    sog35 said:
    qwwera said:
    sog35 said:
    qwwera said:
    sog35 said:
    qwwera said:

but you said the plus is too big.

Wont a 7 with a battery case be smaller than the 7+?
    Well I own both an SE and a 7plus. Best of both. No compromise.
    You may be better of with an iPhone SE & an iPad mini 4 (instead of iPhone 7 Plus)
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 13 of 14
    muadibemuadibe Posts: 134member
    sog35 said:
    jungmark said:

Exactly!  The back of the pixel looks like they slapped two different backs on it.  Looks ridiculous. The iPhone would be bashed solely for that stupid looking square slapped on the back.