Apple monitoring AT&T's potential merger with Time Warner, report says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    NY1822 said:
    This (Hulu) is junk! It's just cable/satelite via a different medium. You still pay through the nose for channels you don't want!!! I want to pick and choose my channels!
  • Reply 22 of 40
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    flaneur said:
    bdkennedy said:
    Apple is monitoring? Why is this a news story? And what exactly are they monitoring? Anyone who thinks Apple should spend billions on a old media conglomerate is a nut. I want Apple to be the platform for all content. Wouldn't owning a content company make it more difficult to do deals with other content providers? Apple should be a neutral platform.
    I think perhaps Apple's monitoring is waiting to see what AT&T was going to bid - $85B so Apple can swoop in at the last minute and bid higher.
    So you think Apple should bid on this? That is really getting away from Apple's core competencies.
    Buying a "content provider" is a proven route to disaster, e.g., Sony and MGM.

The entertainment biz is poison, and it doesn't make people's lives better, it makes them worse. The more the masses are diverted by thrills, the less they know history, or even what's going on in the present. 

I would hate to see Apple making money on stupifying people. And as you say, core competency — tech artists don't have the perverse money-grubbing instincts that's fueled Hollywood and the TV business for a couple of generations, if not from the very beginning. 
    "The entertainment biz is poison, and it doesn't make people's lives better, it makes them worse. The more the masses are diverted by thrills, the less they know history, or even what's going on in the present."

Totally agree with this point. But there was a genius by the name of Steve Jobs who made an equally valid point:

“When you’re young, you look at television and think, There’s a
    conspiracy. The networks have conspired to dumb us down. But
    when you get a little older, you realize that’s not true. The networks
    are in business to give people exactly what they want. That’s a far
    more depressing thought. Conspiracy is optimistic! You can shoot
    the bastards! We can have a revolution! But the networks are really
    in business to give people what they want. It’s the truth.”

edited October 2016 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 40
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    Sorry for the big letters. Did a copy / paste. Didn't know how to fix it.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Sorry for the big letters. Did a copy / paste. Didn't know how to fix it.
    If you Command+Option+Shift+V, that pastes without keeping the formatting.
    canukstormSpamSandwich
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Apple is monitoring? Why is this a news story? And what exactly are they monitoring? Anyone who thinks Apple should spend billions on a old media conglomerate is a nut. I want Apple to be the platform for all content. Wouldn't owning a content company make it more difficult to do deals with other content providers? Apple should be a neutral platform.
    Depends on your aspirations or ambition.  This is one theory:

http://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2016/10/20/apples-trojan-horse-into-hollywood
    Whether you agree with him/her or not, this is one of the most well-written articles I've read in years. 
    canukstorm
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    frankie said:
    This merger should be illegal from a monopoly POV anyway.  
    Why? The two companies aren't in the same market. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 27 of 40
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    flaneur said:
    bdkennedy said:
    I think perhaps Apple's monitoring is waiting to see what AT&T was going to bid - $85B so Apple can swoop in at the last minute and bid higher.
    So you think Apple should bid on this? That is really getting away from Apple's core competencies.

The entertainment biz is poison, and it doesn't make people's lives better, it makes them worse. The more the masses are diverted by thrills, the less they know history, or even what's going on in the present. 

I would hate to see Apple making money on stupifying people. And as you say, core competency — tech artists don't have the perverse money-grubbing instincts that's fueled Hollywood and the TV business for a couple of generations, if not from the very beginning. 
    "The entertainment biz is poison, and it doesn't make people's lives better, it makes them worse. The more the masses are diverted by thrills, the less they know history, or even what's going on in the present."

Totally agree with this point. But there was a genius by the name of Steve Jobs who made an equally valid point:

A good observation. I wouldn't argue with his main point about what people want. But they also want sugared water like Pepsi, so you can build a huge industry making people fat and diabetic, giving them what they want. 

So my point would be the same as Steve's point to Sculley — we got better things to do than make money off poisoning people, things like changing the world. If Apple buys into the bread and circuses trade in these particular times, it would be like joining Nero in fiddling while Rome burns.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 28 of 40
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I heard Apple is looking to buy both the Weather Channel and Accuweather to be sure that it will be sunny and warm on events days and whenever a new product debuts. ;) 
  • Reply 29 of 40
    flaneur said:
    bdkennedy said:

That is pure bullshit.
    The networks are in business to give you as little as they want and take as much money from you as possible.  (Same as insurance companies.)

Who wants to use and pay for STBs?
    Who wants to pay for a gazillion channels that they never watch?
    Who wants limited choices in cable companies?

All that is changing and the networks and cable companies are fighting it tooth and nails.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 30 of 40
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The entire PC industry has been hamstrung for 20 years by the distribution channels refusing to support it.  That is illustrated by the slow speeds of the U.S. internet system,  it is some of the slowest in the world because they want to maintain their cable distribution of visual entertainment.  And, they do not want to be threatened by a company like Apple using the internet to break their control over cable distribution of entertainment.

With this merger, AT&T is attempting to create end-to-end control of production and distribution of visual entertainment.  No wonder Apple is "Monitoring" the situation.
    palomine
  • Reply 31 of 40
    buckalec said:

{ INSERT COMPANY NAME }  monitoring AT&T's potential merger.  

crying inside

It looks like Apple already made an offer but AT&T may have a better offer that it cannot handle.

Apple is now monitoring to see if it can sweeten and close the deal.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    buckalec said:

crying inside

It looks like Apple already made an offer but AT&T may have a better offer that it cannot handle.

Last thing Apple needs is a major acquisition distraction. According to this story the talks never went anywhere. I have my doubts Apple was ever serious about spending $100B to acquire an old media company.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 33 of 40
    applesauce007 said:
    All that is changing and the networks and cable companies are fighting it tooth and nails.
    And winning, because as long as we’ve had digital video content, it has always been ludicrously overpriced. Same with books.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    boredumb said:
    AT&T helping Apple with user interface issues...now that IS rich.
    I wonder about that too ... sounds like utter bull to me.
    edited October 2016 focher
  • Reply 35 of 40
    And AT&T accepted. Now we just have to wait for the federal government to be paid off so they can approve the merger.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    And AT&T accepted. Now we just have to wait for the federal government to be paid off so they can approve the merger.
    Adolf Trump says he would block the merger and split up Comcast/NBC Universal.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Adolph Trump
    If you’re going to Godwin, at least know how to spell the guy’s name, for fuck’s sake.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Adolph Trump
    If you’re going to Godwin, at least know how to spell the guy’s name, for fuck’s sake.
    Brain freeze. But still applies. And I'm not a democrat or Hillary Clinton supporter.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    rogifan_new said:
    Brain freeze. But still applies. And I'm not a democrat or Hillary Clinton supporter.
    Phair enough.  ;)
  • Reply 40 of 40
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    buckalec said:

crying inside

Last thing Apple needs is a major acquisition distraction. According to this story the talks never went anywhere. I have my doubts Apple was ever serious about spending $100B to acquire an old media company.
    Old media company in a dying ecosystem. New generation does not watch TV, but uses video for self-expression and communication. 

Canned content is so 20th century.
    palomine