Apple Watch still holds top smartwatch sales spot, even with short Series 2 availability

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Soli said:
    blitz1 said:
    Actually, the numbers tell us that smartwatches are a flop.
    If smartwatches are a flop then traditional watches are a flop.
    How so?
  • Reply 22 of 27
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    blitz1 said:
    Soli said:
    blitz1 said:
    How so?
    Because the only way that a "flop" could outsell all these traditioanl watch brands in unit sales is if they are also a "flop."

• Reply 23 of 27
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Soli said:
    blitz1 said:
    Soli said:
    blitz1 said:
    How so?
    Because the only way that a "flop" could outsell all these traditioanl watch brands in unit sales is if they are also a "flop."

1) That's so 2015. I doubt that all of them had their sales drop by 70+%
    2) the ASP of Omega, Cartier, PP, Longines, ... is way above Apple's.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    blastdoor said:
    I think the Apple Watch is now a good product and I hope Apple sticks with it. The original had some problems that might have damaged the brand, but I think those problems have been fixed. Hopefully people will give it a second look. 

The main problem was the OS. It's a shame that WatchOS 3 couldn't have shipped with the original hardware. WatchOS 3 is such a radical improvement over the original. 

I am absolutely LOVING the new Scribble for texting. Can't believe they didn't think of it before! It's so simple and a little less intrusive in a public setting than dictation. 
  • Reply 25 of 27
    mike1 said:
    Sales would jump dramatically if there were a couple of compelling non-fitness benefits or apps, just like with the first iPhones. People already had phones for talking and primitive texting. These days we already have plenty of ways to tell time. Now we need other reasons to buy a watch.
    It comes down to what additional functions a watch could give me over what my phone does.  I would love it if I could integrate my watch into something like a smart phone, or my smart car.  If I didn't need my dongle for my Nissan Leaf and instead could use my watch to preset, start, and monitor my car.  If I could turn lights on and off by walking through the rooms in my house, that would be something else I would love.

We will see what the future brings.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    blitz1 said:
    Soli said:

1) That's so 2015. I doubt that all of them had their sales drop by 70+%
    2) the ASP of Omega, Cartier, PP, Longines, ... is way above Apple's.
    1) You don't think that the first year on the market is some how beneficial for Apple in the long run? Check the Mac, iPod, Apple TV, iPhone, and iPad sales for their first year on the market. They were higher AFTER their first year. It's amazing that Apple is even on that list with traditional watches at all.

2) What is the ASP of all those brands? Why do I hear constantly hear complaints that Apple is too expensive (i.e.: their ASP is too high) and now you're arguing that Apple's ASP is much lower which somehow makes them irreverent in the watch industry.

3) Personally, I've not bought Watch Series 2 yet, but I plan to this year. My primary goal was get a new iPhone because I'm on the upgrade program,which means very little out of pocket, and to get a new MBP, which I've ordered. After that, I'll get a new Watch because I think it's a wonderful upgrade. It'll also likely be with us for 2 years so it's also not as necessary, not to mention my own micro view of the device when people ask about it: It's unnecessary, yet indispensable. I expect Apple to dominate the watch market the same way they have dominated the PC, PMP, smartphone, and tablet markets.