Rumor: Apple has made mockups of iMessage for Android with 'Material Design'

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 56
    croprcropr Posts: 934member
    igorsky said:
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    I'd say go for it.


    There is no real winner in the messaging App area.
    iMessage is the real winner; has been since it was first released. Just ask Google about their 8 failed attempts at replicating it.
    I live in a country where iOS have 18% market share, which makes that less than 4% of all messages are iOS to iOS.     This means that in my country all extra features of iMessage on top of the standard SMS text service, are basically irrelevant, and iMessage will remain irrelevant as long as it does not have a iMessage reader on Android.  As a iPhone owner I can only say this a hard but sad reality.  Maybe in you country iMessage is a winner, but here no way,
    Soliirelandronn
  • Reply 42 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,584member
    igorsky said:
    I still don't see a single benefit for Apple to release an Android version of iMessage. I say this as a user and as a shareholder.
    Messaging for me as an Apple-exclusive user is a worse experience because iMessage is not on Android. The logic is simple: I know so many Android users. Some who only use WhatsApp and who refuse to use FBM even. The best experience should overrule everything else, within privacy constraints, of course. I just know these folks would try iMessage and that would mean I can then message everyone I know. Not just half of whom I know. This won't happen though. For me it's too much of a dream come true to happen. I'll proceed with caution at this juncture and not get any hopes up.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 43 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,584member
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    I'd say go for it.


    There is no real winner in the messaging App area. Google can't seem to settle on anything. iMessage is very popular on iPhones. With all that it can do now, it's the perfect time for it to come out on Android also. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives. If Apple doesn't do it, you leave it wide open for anyone and everyone else to take a huge chunk of the market. If that becomes the so called standard, that starts getting used more and more, and iMessage less and less. Android is 80% of the marketplace NOW. So just cutting out 80% of the possible users seems dumb. I don't have a iPhone because of iMessage. Having it on Android wouldn't get me to switch to Android for a long list of reasons. BBM tried to come out for everyone, but it was already dead. They waited and waited for years, and Blackberry phones as that point were almost dead and they finally decided to put BBM out on iOS and Android, and by that point it was to late. Look, Who uses it now? I sure don't. I don't think many do. There's zero reason to. I hate having to resort to 3rd party texting app's because iMessage is not out on Android!!! That's Apple basically forcing iPhone users to use some other 3rd party app for texting. How is that good for Apple?
    Put iMessage on Android and I guarantee you will see a drop in iPhone sales.
    You guarantee it? Total hogwash. You cannot guarantee anything of the sort.
    ronn
  • Reply 44 of 56
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,595member
    ireland said:
    igorsky said:
    I still don't see a single benefit for Apple to release an Android version of iMessage. I say this as a user and as a shareholder.
    Messaging for me as an Apple-exclusive user is a worse experience because iMessage is not on Android. The logic is simple: I know so many Android users. Some who only use WhatsApp and who refuse to use FBM even. The best experience should overrule everything else, within privacy constraints, of course. I just know these folks would try iMessage and that would mean I can then message everyone I know. Not just half of whom I know. This won't happen though. For me it's too much of a dream come true to happen. I'll proceed with caution at this juncture and not get any hopes up.
    I am with you. I really do not believe the fact that you can get a full featured Messages app on Android will drive people away from Apple and to Android. I'd rather think that after a while using Messages on Android people will be less resistant to jumping over to Apple. 

    The biggest mistake would be to insist the App follow Apple design and usability guidelines if these differ from Android, and to create a less feature rich Android version. The former would be arrogant and the latter would be stupid. Most people are neither, and certainly not both. Luckily neither is Apple, though they failed miserably with Safari. I can't remember the logic behind bringing Safari out on Windows.
    ireland
  • Reply 45 of 56
    ireland said:
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    I'd say go for it.


    There is no real winner in the messaging App area. Google can't seem to settle on anything. iMessage is very popular on iPhones. With all that it can do now, it's the perfect time for it to come out on Android also. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives. If Apple doesn't do it, you leave it wide open for anyone and everyone else to take a huge chunk of the market. If that becomes the so called standard, that starts getting used more and more, and iMessage less and less. Android is 80% of the marketplace NOW. So just cutting out 80% of the possible users seems dumb. I don't have a iPhone because of iMessage. Having it on Android wouldn't get me to switch to Android for a long list of reasons. BBM tried to come out for everyone, but it was already dead. They waited and waited for years, and Blackberry phones as that point were almost dead and they finally decided to put BBM out on iOS and Android, and by that point it was to late. Look, Who uses it now? I sure don't. I don't think many do. There's zero reason to. I hate having to resort to 3rd party texting app's because iMessage is not out on Android!!! That's Apple basically forcing iPhone users to use some other 3rd party app for texting. How is that good for Apple?
    Put iMessage on Android and I guarantee you will see a drop in iPhone sales.
    You guarantee it? Total hogwash. You cannot guarantee anything of the sort.
    I'd put money on it.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,584member
    volcan said:
    I hate green messages but at least I know when a person is a loser.
    What a sad comment. You're a snob. Your attitude could do with an adjustment.
    edited October 2016 Solironnsingularity
  • Reply 47 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,584member
    paxman said:
    ireland said:
    igorsky said:
    I still don't see a single benefit for Apple to release an Android version of iMessage. I say this as a user and as a shareholder.
    Messaging for me as an Apple-exclusive user is a worse experience because iMessage is not on Android. The logic is simple: I know so many Android users. Some who only use WhatsApp and who refuse to use FBM even. The best experience should overrule everything else, within privacy constraints, of course. I just know these folks would try iMessage and that would mean I can then message everyone I know. Not just half of whom I know. This won't happen though. For me it's too much of a dream come true to happen. I'll proceed with caution at this juncture and not get any hopes up.
    I am with you. I really do not believe the fact that you can get a full featured Messages app on Android will drive people away from Apple and to Android. I'd rather think that after a while using Messages on Android people will be less resistant to jumping over to Apple. 

    The biggest mistake would be to insist the App follow Apple design and usability guidelines if these differ from Android, and to create a less feature rich Android version. The former would be arrogant and the latter would be stupid. Most people are neither, and certainly not both. Luckily neither is Apple...
    Agree 100%.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 48 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,584member

    ireland said:
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    I'd say go for it.


    There is no real winner in the messaging App area. Google can't seem to settle on anything. iMessage is very popular on iPhones. With all that it can do now, it's the perfect time for it to come out on Android also. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives. If Apple doesn't do it, you leave it wide open for anyone and everyone else to take a huge chunk of the market. If that becomes the so called standard, that starts getting used more and more, and iMessage less and less. Android is 80% of the marketplace NOW. So just cutting out 80% of the possible users seems dumb. I don't have a iPhone because of iMessage. Having it on Android wouldn't get me to switch to Android for a long list of reasons. BBM tried to come out for everyone, but it was already dead. They waited and waited for years, and Blackberry phones as that point were almost dead and they finally decided to put BBM out on iOS and Android, and by that point it was to late. Look, Who uses it now? I sure don't. I don't think many do. There's zero reason to. I hate having to resort to 3rd party texting app's because iMessage is not out on Android!!! That's Apple basically forcing iPhone users to use some other 3rd party app for texting. How is that good for Apple?
    Put iMessage on Android and I guarantee you will see a drop in iPhone sales.
    You guarantee it? Total hogwash. You cannot guarantee anything of the sort.
    I'd put money on it.
    I don't need you to. I just hope they bring it to Android so we can all see how it goes. You're predicting a drop in iPhone sales if this happens. So we'll say calendar year 2016 vs 2017 and Apple release iMessage for Android in December or Jan. Let's see if this happens. I guarantee nothing, but I'm thinking sales won't drop.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 49 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,584member

    cropr said:
    igorsky said:
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    I'd say go for it.


    There is no real winner in the messaging App area.
    iMessage is the real winner; has been since it was first released. Just ask Google about their 8 failed attempts at replicating it.
    I live in a country where iOS have 18% market share, which makes that less than 4% of all messages are iOS to iOS.     This means that in my country all extra features of iMessage on top of the standard SMS text service, are basically irrelevant, and iMessage will remain irrelevant as long as it does not have a iMessage reader on Android.  As a iPhone owner I can only say this a hard but sad reality.  Maybe in you country iMessage is a winner, but here no way,
    It's about 50-50 here—at least of whom I know. Needless to say I cannot only use iMessage to community with people and I never use SMS and don't want to.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 50 of 56
    ronnronn Posts: 328member
    paxman said:

    The biggest mistake would be to insist the App follow Apple design and usability guidelines if these differ from Android, and to create a less feature rich Android version. The former would be arrogant and the latter would be stupid. Most people are neither, and certainly not both. Luckily neither is Apple, though they failed miserably with Safari. I can't remember the logic behind bringing Safari out on Windows.
    The only problem would be what Android flavor/design to follow? The Nexus line with vanilla Android? Google's new Pixel phones that replaced the Nexus line? Or (horrors of horrors) some design cues from Android's biggest seller: Samsung since it'll be familiar to a wide swath of users?
  • Reply 51 of 56
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,595member
    ronn said:
    paxman said:

    The biggest mistake would be to insist the App follow Apple design and usability guidelines if these differ from Android, and to create a less feature rich Android version. The former would be arrogant and the latter would be stupid. Most people are neither, and certainly not both. Luckily neither is Apple, though they failed miserably with Safari. I can't remember the logic behind bringing Safari out on Windows.
    The only problem would be what Android flavor/design to follow? The Nexus line with vanilla Android? Google's new Pixel phones that replaced the Nexus line? Or (horrors of horrors) some design cues from Android's biggest seller: Samsung since it'll be familiar to a wide swath of users?
    Not a good problem to have, guess :) I know about half a dozen people with Android phones and I must have spent all of  ten minutes studying the phones. I can't recall even seeing the message app. I am in deep with IOS, not just because it is better (According to most accounts), but also because changing would be too much if a pain to contemplate
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Soli said:
    Is this a good idea? I seem to recall that the biggest issue people had with Apple's programs on Windows was that it didn't conform to the Windows look and feel. Would that be the case with iMessage on Android?

    I'd say the biggest issue people had with Apples programs on Windows was that they were crap, bloated monstrosities that really put Apple in a bad light. iTunes being the epitome of how not to program. I was so so glad when the iPhone went to ota updates. 
  • Reply 53 of 56
    ireland said:
    volcan said:
    I hate green messages but at least I know when a person is a loser.
    What a sad comment. You're a snob. Your attitude could do with an adjustment.


    True. And what about when iMessage fails and you opt to send as a text message? Are you still a loser? Unless he was being facetious.  

    But coming back to the topic at hand, would the adoption rates of iMessage on Android be as good as that of WhatsApp? Would it replace WhatsApp as the messaging app of choice? If it doesn't, would it be worth taking the trouble of releasing it?

  • Reply 54 of 56
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,217moderator

    But coming back to the topic at hand, would the adoption rates of iMessage on Android be as good as that of WhatsApp? Would it replace WhatsApp as the messaging app of choice? If it doesn't, would it be worth taking the trouble of releasing it?

    If it was popular and doesn't make any money, there doesn't seem to be much point. Apple doesn't owe Android users a better phone experience to get nothing in return. iTunes, Apple Music etc add revenue. If they charged $0.99 per month or per year on Android, that would at least add revenue. 100 million users x $0.99/month is >$1b/year. They'd have to find the best price point, maybe $1.99-4.99/year. They would be using Apple's messaging servers without paying for them otherwise. These are paid for by Apple product buyers.

    As for Messages being in the minority, it's the default texting app on over 1 billion active devices so it's doing just fine being iOS exclusive. Apple handles several billion iMessages per day (more messages with texts) and WhatsApp handles about 30-40 billion messages per day. Nobody expects Samsung, Microsoft or other software provider to port exclusive apps or features to iOS so why should Apple do it? There always seems to be people who want Apple to give away free things or let people steal their IP so they can use it without paying Apple a premium. Apple's services struggle with the demand as it is without dumping hundreds of million of freeloaders into the mix. If they are going to pay some of the costs, that's a little fairer.

    I don't see why texting apps can't just send each other messages. Email clients have been doing this for decades. Apple doesn't have to port Mail to Android to send them messages. Just have an API and let people use whatever app they want. People would still need to use WhatsApp, Facebook messenger etc to contact people who don't use Messages so an API covers all of them.
    bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 55 of 56
    Marvin said:

    But coming back to the topic at hand, would the adoption rates of iMessage on Android be as good as that of WhatsApp? Would it replace WhatsApp as the messaging app of choice? If it doesn't, would it be worth taking the trouble of releasing it?

    If it was popular and doesn't make any money, there doesn't seem to be much point. Apple doesn't owe Android users a better phone experience to get nothing in return. iTunes, Apple Music etc add revenue. If they charged $0.99 per month or per year on Android, that would at least add revenue. 100 million users x $0.99/month is >$1b/year. They'd have to find the best price point, maybe $1.99-4.99/year. They would be using Apple's messaging servers without paying for them otherwise. These are paid for by Apple product buyers.

    As for Messages being in the minority, it's the default texting app on over 1 billion active devices so it's doing just fine being iOS exclusive. Apple handles several billion iMessages per day (more messages with texts) and WhatsApp handles about 30-40 billion messages per day. Nobody expects Samsung, Microsoft or other software provider to port exclusive apps or features to iOS so why should Apple do it? There always seems to be people who want Apple to give away free things or let people steal their IP so they can use it without paying Apple a premium. Apple's services struggle with the demand as it is without dumping hundreds of million of freeloaders into the mix. If they are going to pay some of the costs, that's a little fairer.

    I don't see why texting apps can't just send each other messages. Email clients have been doing this for decades. Apple doesn't have to port Mail to Android to send them messages. Just have an API and let people use whatever app they want. People would still need to use WhatsApp, Facebook messenger etc to contact people who don't use Messages so an API covers all of them.

    Completely agree!
Sign In or Register to comment.