Apple updates Xcode, iMovie, Pages, GarageBand, Keynote, Numbers with Touch Bar compatibil...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited February 2020
As expected, Apple has updated its entire array of first-party apps including Xcode, iMovie, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, to support the Touch Bar on the new MacBook Pro line, alongside some normal "stability and performance improvements" that come with nearly every update.

Xcode version 8.1 is essentially unchanged from the previous version, with the exception of the addition of both Touch Bar implementation, and the ability to use the new user interface feature in apps developed in the environment. The Xcode 8.1 download is 4.47 GB, and is available from the Mac App Store.

In addition to adding the Touch Bar support, Apple's iMovie 10.1.3 can also now delete render files to recover drive space. The update weighs in at 2.05 GB.

Version 6.0.6 of Pages has "stability and performance improvements" and new Touch Bar support. The Pages update occupies 228 MB.

Numbers and Keynote have the same release notes as pages, and weigh in at occupies 170 MB and 470 MB respectively.

GarageBand version 10.1.3 has added the same media control functionality as seen briefly in the videos released after the "hello again" event concluded. Version 10.1.3 takes 949 MB, with in-app purchases requiring more room.

The 2016 MacBook Pro family, announced today, is a major redesign to Apple's flagship notebook, and comes in screen sizes of 13 and 15 inches, with core models starting at $1,799 and shipping in two to three weeks. AppleInsider was at the event, and was able to spend some time with all the latest hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Hi guys.. so, no Logic Pro X update, huh? How come GarageBand > Logic Pro X?? :(
  • Reply 2 of 5
    esaruoho said:
    Hi guys.. so, no Logic Pro X update, huh? How come GarageBand > Logic Pro X??
    Maybe because Logic Pro needs a bigger Touch Bar (say the size of an iPad Pro) and more precise input (like an Apple Pencil)?

The brief demo of FCP using the Touch Bar,  was interesting -- but seemed pretty limited.  IDK, if Pro Video editors will find much advantage vs the kb/touchpad.

edited October 2016
  • Reply 3 of 5

logic2.6 said:
    I'm not overly excited about touch bar as hardware but very stoked on what this means for touch possibilities in MacOS and specific software.

So, how long will it take for Apple (or a third party) integrate touch bar functionality to a paired iOs device (probably in slave mode) to a MacBook?

If you've used any of the apps that currently pair iOS devices to Macs, you have an inkling of what I'm talking about. If you used DAWs back in the 90s, you know what happened when external control devices evolved (Mackie HUI for Logic being prime example). 

This cross-functionality could be a real killer app/feature. Why limit touch on MacOS to a half inch wide strip when you could potentially have a fully customized 12" iPad Pro form factor (in dumb/non iOS device mode) to play with? Why lust after a Touchbar equipped external keyboard when Apple already makes the greatest touch capable devices on the market today?

It would pull in people who question why they still need a Mac when they have an iPad, and it would give killer extra functionality to die-hard Mac users. Win-win for the Mac ecosystem, and all the elements - touch sensitive device, industrial strength computer + OS.

Please, Apple don't sacrifice this opportunity in order to just drive MacBook Pro sales!

I'll see your slave mode and raise you a  iPad Pro Mode (full Xcode, FCP, Logic, graphics tablet and 3rd-party) plus Hand Off -- that would allow you to work wherever you are on the devices available (or of choice).  For example, using iPad Pro FCP to capture video, categorize and prepare a rough cut while on site.

justadcomics
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I half suspected these updates wouldn't show for all Macs but all my Macs see them, even my old 15" i7 MBP 2010 is getting them.  maybe an external keyboard with the touch bar is on the way! (fingers crossed)
    SpamSandwich