Two of four Thunderbolt 3 ports in new 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar have reduced speeds

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    zoetmb said:
    adonissmu said:
    After seeing these machines in person at Best Buy I purchased the 15" rMBP in space gray. I cant get how amazing that display was out of my mind.
    You saw the new machines with the Touch Bar at Best Buy?  Because I was in an Apple Store today and they didn't have any of the Touch Bar machines on display as yet. 
    I saw the base line model MBP that replaced the MBA. The sound was fantastic. The display was far and away better than the 15" display from 2015 sitting right next to it. We played some legends game they had on the device and its was easily getting 70-80fps (we tracked it). I almost dropped 1500 on it right then but decided I really wanted the larger display.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 42 of 86
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    matrix077 said:

sandor said:
    and you cannot get the (finally available) 2 TB SSD upgrade on the 13"

the purpose of a portable is to be portable. some professionals don't want to travel with a 15"
    Apple needs a 13" *real* pro that can be a smaller, spec-maxed computer.

New 15" Pro is only marginally bigger and heavier than MBA. 

then why even have a 13"?  (rhetorical)

their preference is the 13", has been using that size for years, and has an 11" MBA as backup. 

my point is that if you are going to have distinct size options, knowing that people have personal preferences, why unnecessarily limit one in terms of specs? 
  • Reply 43 of 86
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    adonissmu said:
    The display was far and away better than the 15" display from 2015 sitting right next to it.
    And if you're coming from the MBA with it's non-Retina display with a TN panel it's going to be a massive upgrade.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 44 of 86

sandor said:
    my point is that if you are going to have distinct size options, knowing that people have personal preferences, why unnecessarily limit one in terms of specs? 
    I don't understand your question. What is unnecessary about their choices for specs? I don't even know how one can make that determination without having inside knowledge on what is most important to Apple in securing the highest possible unit sales for a new device.
    ration al
  • Reply 45 of 86
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    safi said:
    Unacceptable on a goddamn 1700 laptop. Have a pro right now. Will use it for a few years but Apple needs to UP ITS GAME! Oh and btw fix the steaming pile of crap that is SIRI. 
    You have to see it from Apple's perspective. It took a lot of courage for them to make this decision knowing they would get this kind of blowback but still move ahead with it!

(If you don't get the joke please just move on).
  • Reply 46 of 86
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Because this is the first time ever, ever ever ever, that Apple has made compromises in favour of some other gain, or limited functionality because they had no choice, or opt for a worse alternative.

They aren't doing it on purpose just to mess with the customer. More often than not (nearly always, in fact), the reason actually makes sense (at least from Apple's perspective - costs, engineering, supply/demand, etc.)  

ration al
  • Reply 47 of 86
    Because this is the first time ever, ever ever ever, that Apple has made compromises in favour of some other gain, or limited functionality because they had no choice, or opt for a worse alternative.
    That's sarcasm, right?
  • Reply 48 of 86
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    You're all whining about tb3 throttling. Its very clear to me that Apple is being power conscious. It's very simple. This isn't about money. This is about battery life.  Not about forcing people to buy the 15" or about saving money on chipsets. This is about battery life.  They throttled the 2 ports to preserve battery life. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 86
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    safi said:
    Unacceptable on a goddamn 1700 laptop. Have a pro right now. Will use it for a few years but Apple needs to UP ITS GAME! Oh and btw fix the steaming pile of crap that is SIRI. 
    You might want to check the USB ports on that laptop of yours. On several generations, the maximum speeds differed on the ports. I don't recall the tech trolls frothing at the mouth over it at the time, though.
    ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 86
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Soli said:
    That's sarcasm, right?

Yep.  :)
    Soliai46
  • Reply 51 of 86
    bbhbbh Posts: 134member
    I bought a late 2012 iMac through the Refurbished program. Still out powers these latest offering ! It has a quad core i7 at 3.1 Ghz and 16MB RAM and a 1 TB Fusion Drive. I thought surely the speeds would be triple this by now.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    bbh said:
    I bought a late 2012 iMac through the Refurbished program. Still out powers these latest offering ! It has a quad core i7 at 3.1 Ghz and 16MB RAM and a 1 TB Fusion Drive. I thought surely the speeds would be triple this by now.
    You have a desktop and these are notebooks. Even with the latest iMacs there is no tripling of the performance over your 2012 iMac. That's currently only being achieved with ARM right now and even that will slow down and plateau in the coming years.

Still, what are the Geekbench scores between the two machines? At the very least, without looking into your iMac's specs, I know that the SSD in the new MBPs absolutely destroy your iMac's drive, and probably far exceeds its read and write performance.
    ration al
  • Reply 53 of 86
    I'm starting to notice more and more that Intel seems to be a ball and chain on Apple's leg that it really needs to get rid of at some point. While the Apple / Intel partnership has brought both parties a lot of good Intel does not seem to be able to keep up with the pace in which Apple seems to want to advance. Apple working on custom chips to fully manage their own hardware platform seems like the logical next move.

I will acknowledge that as a long time Apple user they seems to move a little too fast for me too right now. Transferring to all USB-C is a bold move that will most certainly help push along a universal standard that can shrink the amount of needed ports It feels silly that current iPhone and iPad users need to use a dongle to hook their Apple devices up with their Apple laptops.
    Removing the SD-card slot is also a bold move as it already is a standard for the photography world that has so closely aligned itself with Apple machines because of their color fidelity. Wireless alternatives are really crappy right now (It is about time they improved though), and I personally have not seen USB-C style connectors for my Cannon yet.
    The last oddity for me is that if Apple plans to retain the lightning port on their smaller devices I would have liked to see one on the Macbook so users who prefer wired audio could use the same pair of headphones for their iDevices and their Apple computers without the need for a dongle.

Again, this is all from an armchair CEO perspective but the current setup really misses the mark of 'It just works' for me.
  • Reply 54 of 86
    bbh said:
    That's odd.

It's handily out-performed by a late-2013 MacBook Pro, and that's a MOBILE vs. your DESKTOP.

https://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

Do you have reason to believe that these new machines are slower (aside from the SSD), or are you merely venting an orifice?
  • Reply 55 of 86
    Removing the SD slot is as much an "unprofessional" choice as it was to add it in the first place - since they removed a PCMCIA slot to make room for it. At the time (2009), I seem to recall considerable outrage, especially since SD was the CONSUMER standard - most serious cameras used Compact Flash.
    kpomnolamacguyDeelron
  • Reply 56 of 86
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    95 percent of users are never going to notice or care about this. The article fails to mention how much of a speed drop we're talking about here (kind of important info, fellahs), but let's assume the worst: Thunderbolt 2 speeds on the "slower" ports. ERMAGERD, SKY FALLING! This machine is going to be the fastest thing on the market for quite a while in terms of throughput, unless Apple brings out one last Mac Pro with TB3 (I don't think this will happen, but that would be the only thing that will beat this in the market anytime soon). Or they revise the MBP with Kaby Lake and TB4 in two to three year's time.
  • Reply 57 of 86
    chasm said:
    95 percent of users are never going to notice or care about this. The article fails to mention how much of a speed drop we're talking about here (kind of important info, fellahs), but let's assume the worst: Thunderbolt 2 speeds on the "slower" ports. ERMAGERD, SKY FALLING! This machine is going to be the fastest thing on the market for quite a while in terms of throughput, unless Apple brings out one last Mac Pro with TB3 (I don't think this will happen, but that would be the only thing that will beat this in the market anytime soon). Or they revise the MBP with Kaby Lake and TB4 in two to three year's time.
    So far there is no TB4, but it's safe to assume that TB4 will offer double the bandwidth from 40Gib/s to 80Gib/s, which will then allow for 8K/4320p@60 support. With the new MBPs this make be technically possible using one USB-C port from each of the TB/DP controllers on the 15" model. Maybe one day someone can hack and test that.

This MBP is also at DP1.2, and it's not until DP1.4 that support for 8K/4320@60 with 10-bit color and HDR will be supported.

My guess is that we'll be waiting awhile for 8K support to arrive on Macs as I predict it won't be in high demand for a long time. Even now with the success of 4K/2160p UHDTVs, there's still a long away to go until that market gets saturated and 8K/4320p UHDTVs will be both cost effective and desirable.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 58 of 86
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    safi said:
    Grow up, or troll elsewhere. You have absolutely zero clue about the what's going on here.

I'll bet you don't even own any TB devices anyway.  I do.  You do realize that TB devices can be daisy-changed so even if one is able to saturate one TB port, it's just insane to think that anyone requires even more than two TB ports all daisy-chained together running on one laptop.  If one is running that kind of setup, then a desktop machine is more preferable.

Come back when you get a clue.
    nolamacguyDeelronmacplusplus
  • Reply 59 of 86
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Donvermo said:

I will acknowledge that as a long time Apple user they seems to move a little too fast for me too right now. Transferring to all USB-C is a bold move that will most certainly help push along a universal standard that can shrink the amount of needed ports It feels silly that current iPhone and iPad users need to use a dongle to hook their Apple devices up with their Apple laptops.
    Removing the SD-card slot is also a bold move as it already is a standard for the photography world that has so closely aligned itself with Apple machines because of their color fidelity. Wireless alternatives are really crappy right now (It is about time they improved though), and I personally have not seen USB-C style connectors for my Cannon yet.
    The last oddity for me is that if Apple plans to retain the lightning port on their smaller devices I would have liked to see one on the Macbook so users who prefer wired audio could use the same pair of headphones for their iDevices and their Apple computers without the need for a dongle.

Again, this is all from an armchair CEO perspective but the current setup really misses the mark of 'It just works' for me.
    Apple sells a USB-C to Lightning Cable that even charges the 12.9" iPad Pro more quickly. No dongles required. It amazes me how many people listen to music on a computer. It seems easier to use a phone than to be tethered to a larger computer. I'm guessing Apple retained the audio port because DJs use notebook computers. Lightning has always been exclusive to iOS devices. And AirPods will pair with Macs. Apple sees the future as mostly wireless. But Thunderbolt 3 is so versatile it allows Apple to drop all the legacy ports while retaining backward compatibility through adapters and hubs.
  • Reply 60 of 86
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Soli said:

sandor said:
    I don't understand your question. What is unnecessary about their choices for specs? I don't even know how one can make that determination without having inside knowledge on what is most important to Apple in securing the highest possible unit sales for a new device.
    i can BTO a 2 TB SSD in the 15" but not the 13"
    ...but the drives can be swapped between the two models...

unnecessarily limiting the purchaser's specs.