Intel's chip design, not Apple's choices, reason behind Thunderbolt 3 & RAM issues in new MacBook P

Comments

• Reply 21 of 193
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    blastdoor said:
    Well, it's Apple's fault that they keep using Intel processors instead of something based on their wind-storm ARM cores. 
    ARM still has not caught up to Intel in terms of performance, so claiming about the performance of Apple's Intel-based machines and wishing for ARM instead is an odd position to be taking.
    I disagree. Apple's wind-storm cores demonstrate that Apple very likely is capable of designing a CPU that can meet or beat Intel in terms of performance. 
    cali
  • Reply 22 of 193
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

kpom said:
    wood1208 said:
    Intel's Skylake processor is 2015 story. Kaby lake is 2016. Intel will release ICE lake 10nm end of 2017. If I was Apple, I would skip Kaby lake and pick up ICE lake in 2017 for Spring 2018 release of Macbook pro that Apple can design without any compromise.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they skip Kaby Lake (but then we'll get complaints about how out of date the MacBook is next year). At the same time, the latest specs are out, and as predicted, the Skylake chips aren't significantly faster than the Broadwell chips they replaced. That's also the case with Kaby Lake vs Skylake (almost all the gains are from clock speed increases, except for h.265 encoding).

They got the basics right with the new MacBooks. If the price were $200 less about 80% of the complaints on web forums would go away.
    Maybe not 80% of the complaints  - forum people have to complain about something - but fully agree that the effective price bump across the board (for which currency exchange makes that much worse for many of Apple's big markets) was the biggest issue.  Last year (or was it 2014?), you could buy the entry level 13" MBP for $1300 USD, and now that is $1500.  The entry level with the Touch Bar is $1800 USD.  For many people, especially in FX challenged currencies, the decision to purchase has become a lot more difficult.

In the end, Apple has been in this business for a long time, they are the only ones with the real data on who buys what, at which prices, for what reasons.  They have been successful in their approach for the last two decades.  At the macro level, they should be afforded the benefit of the doubt.  They made clear these machines were for "pro" users, so I certainly hope that 2017 brings in options for mainstream that have more size than the ultra-super-slim-portable 12" MacBook, or the aging-almost-no-updates-no-retina Air.  

And if Apple does determine that sales were below expectation, they always have the ability to lower prices later in 2017.
    ration aldoozydozen
  • Reply 23 of 193

brucemc said:
    blastdoor said:
    Well, it's Apple's fault that they keep using Intel processors instead of something based on their wind-storm ARM cores. 
    I am pretty sure you would complain about the 3rd party application compatibility problems and / or performance impact from x86 emulation.
    macOS today has shed all of the legacy stuff that once made switching processors challenging. A switch from Intel to ARM would be much, much easier for developers and users than the switch from PPC to Intel. In fact, for many apps in the app store, developers wouldn't have to lift a finger. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 24 of 193
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    ARM still has not caught up to Intel in terms of performance, so claiming about the performance of Apple's Intel-based machines and wishing for ARM instead is an odd position to be taking.
    I disagree. Apple's wind-storm cores demonstrate that Apple very likely is capable of designing a CPU that can meet or beat Intel in terms of performance. 
    Not yet. If they're willing to dump all x86 stuff than sure, okay, but since that's unlikely they need ARM cores that can handle the heavy lifting of running Rosetta 2.0. In a few more generations they might be able to consider it. 

That being said I can almost guarantee they have ARMac prototypes in a lab in Cupertino.
    doozydozenwatto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 25 of 193
    wood1208 said:
    Intel's Skylake processor is 2015 story. Kaby lake is 2016. Intel will release ICE lake 10nm end of 2017. If I was Apple, I would skip Kaby lake and pick up ICE lake in 2017 for Spring 2018 release of Macbook pro that Apple can design without any compromise.
    Intel do staggered releases now, quad core mobile Skylake with pro graphics didn't come out until 2016. Same thing with Broadwell, Intel didn't release quad core mobile until 2 weeks after Apple released the 2015 15" MBP. Only the 13" got Broadwell.
    ration alhmm
  • Reply 26 of 193

elijahg said:
    The 6360U launched in the third quarter of 2015
    So Apple's using CPUs that're a year behind. Will they still be using the same CPUs in 500 days? Why didn't they update the MacBooks in Q4 2015 with Skylake? If they'd updated in Q4 2015 they could have waited until Q1 2017 for Kaby Lake. They're completely out of sync with Intel's release cycles now, couldn't really have released the 2016 MBPs at a worse time. Sadly, it seems to me like they're trying to let the Mac die.
    Just because one Skylake chip launched does not mean the entire family launched. The better CPU's, which Apple picks, come later, and Intel has had (and probably still continues to have) yield issues at 14nm. The Kaby Lake chips they need aren't out yet either. 

wood1208 said:
    LOL no. Intel isn't even releasing high-end (higher than 15W) Cannonlake now in 2018. They're doing a 4th CPU on 14nm, Coffee Lake. Ice Lake coming before 2019 would be a shocker.
    Intel didn't release quad core mobile with pro graphics until jan 2016, Apple stopped playing their game and only selected CPUs from the sept 2015 launch. Means we took a 20% graphics hit on the 15" but those models have GPUs anyway. Plus the 2016 CPU cost $100 more, never mind the fact the 2.9Ghz dropped to 2.8Ghz so Apple probably made the right choice this time. Something weird is going on between Apple and Intel, from the outside it looks like they aren't getting along.
    edited October 2016 ration aldoozydozendysamoria
  • Reply 27 of 193
    Dear AppleInsider staff,

thanks for clarifying things on this matter.

I have read some article on MobileGeeks (german page), and they totally don't get the point that Kaby Lake doesn't offer enough PCIe capabilities and CPU cores (up to 2). And beyond that, they didn't even think about the implications of the new CPU-GPU combo that consumes less energy (less battery volume and more battery lifetime at the same time), even their use of Argumentum Ad Populum shows that's it rather a "troll blog".

I think other media will try everything to support their (not) self-fulfilling prophecies.
    ewtheckmanration alSolidoozydozen
  • Reply 28 of 193
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    Not yet. If they're willing to dump all x86 stuff than sure, okay, but since that's unlikely they need ARM cores that can handle the heavy lifting of running Rosetta 2.0. In a few more generations they might be able to consider it. 

That being said I can almost guarantee they have ARMac prototypes in a lab in Cupertino.
    http://thenextweb.com/apple/2015/06/17/apples-biggest-developer-news-at-wwdc-that-nobodys-talking-about-bitcode/

There will be very limited need for Resetta 2.0. 

This is not 2006, folks. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 29 of 193
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2015/06/17/apples-biggest-developer-news-at-wwdc-that-nobodys-talking-about-bitcode/

This is not 2006, folks. 
    And the whole Boot Camp thing is, what, ignorable? You also forget that there is an entire ecosystem of Mac apps that aren't in the Mac App Store because it's a disaster of Eddy Cue's making. 
    edited October 2016 entropysdysamoria
  • Reply 30 of 193
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I keep seeing people post unrealistic expectations with HW. Just because Intel has released a Kaby Lake chip doesn't mean they've released the ones needed for the MBP. Just because Intel has a release date for the Kaby Lake chips that will be useable for the MBP does mean that Intel will have them in the quantity that Apple needs. Are people actually confusing HW with SW? There is no "as soon as it's available to one person it's available to everyone" when it comes to HW.
    edited October 2016 ration almagman1979
  • Reply 31 of 193
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:

This is not 2006, folks. 
    And the whole Boot Camp thing is, what, ignorable? You also forget that there is an entire ecosystem of Mac apps that aren't in the Mac App Store because it's a disaster of Eddy Cue's making. 
    I suspect Boot Camp is ignorable in terms of the proportion of Mac users who really use it. But I've never seen data on that, so if somebody can demonstrate that more than, say, 5% of Mac Users use Boot Camp, I'd reconsider my view. 

Yes, there are a lot of apps outside of the app store. But most of them use the exact same development tools -- it's not like those guys are hand coding x86 assembler. 

Sure -- there will be some apps out there that are used by a nontrivial number of people that require a bit more work to port. But the ecosystem-wide effort needed to switch from Intel to ARM is at least an order of magnitude less than the switch from PPC to Intel. Everything from Microsoft Office to Civilization will be much, much easier to move over. 
    propod
  • Reply 32 of 193
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    I think the major let down, aside from the absurd pricing, is the default RAM/SSD specs. With starting prices at $1800 and $2400, I would expect 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD standard. That it costs $2600 to have a 13" MBP with decent specs and $3000 for a 15" inch with decent specs is a lot higher than in the past. I don't expect to get 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD in a laptop unless I'm paying $500 for it.
    edited October 2016 elijahgbdkennedy1002dysamoria
  • Reply 33 of 193
    blastdoor said:
    I would like to see this happen, but this needs to start with the low-end traditional PC offerings, not their Pro-level machines where VMs, Adobe, MS, and other large and complex apps will be used. This needs to happen with a MacBook or Mac mini-like machine where we can have a sub-$800 12" notebook of sub-$500 mini-desktop where you get more performance on their ARM-based SoCs for more users that will most use the default apps and Mac App Store apps.
    watto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 34 of 193
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    Not as simple as that. Overriding the patent barrier with pure tech and physics is not a simple endeavour.
  • Reply 35 of 193
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    kpom said:
    They got the basics right with the new MacBooks. If the price were $200 less about 80% of the complaints on web forums would go away.

That's for dang sure.  $300 cheaper is about where I expected it to start,
    elijahgentropysdysamoria
  • Reply 36 of 193
    In case anyone missed it I'm reposting it…
    Dear AppleInsider staff,

thanks for clarifying things on this matter.

I have read some article on MobileGeeks (german page), and they totally don't get the point that Kaby Lake doesn't offer enough PCIe capabilities and CPU cores (up to 2). And beyond that, they didn't even think about the implications of the new CPU-GPU combo that consumes less energy (less battery volume and more battery lifetime at the same time), even their use of Argumentum Ad Populum shows that's it rather a "troll blog".

I think other media will try everything to support their (not) self-fulfilling prophecies.
  • Reply 37 of 193
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    So curious, and I'm ordering this machine.  The 3 levels of the 15" chips, anyone have a sense which one to order on a price/performance basis?

Also, I am ordering the top end graphics, but not able to find specific spec differences.  The delta for 4gb was only $100, so thinking a easy choice.

• Reply 38 of 193
    I would have taken 32GB RAM in the existing form factor with reduced battery life and been happy. As is, the constraints induced by their thinner machine required them to reduce battery capacity from 99.5 WHr to 76 WHr and that, coupled with Intel shipping issues, pretty much prevented any increase whosoever in RAM capacity. 

Bottom line is that I'm not completely letting Apple off the hook here. They chose the form factor, with all of the tradeoffs that choice entailed....
    doozydozenbdkennedy1002alphafoxdysamoria
  • Reply 39 of 193
    rbonner said:
    So curious, and I'm ordering this machine.  The 3 levels of the 15" chips, anyone have a sense which one to order on a price/performance basis?

Also, I am ordering the top end graphics, but not able to find specific spec differences.  The delta for 4gb was only $100, so thinking a easy choice.

Here's Intel's current price list for those buying 1000 chips at a time*.

@macplusplus gave us the model numbers in post 4 of this thread.
    13-inch dual-Thunderbolt 2016
    2.0 GHz i5: 6360U
    2.4 GHz i7: 6660U

13-inch quad-Thunderbolt 2016
    2.9 GHz dual i5: 6267U
    3.1 GHz dual i5: 6287U
    3.3 GHz dual i7: 6567U

15-inch quad-Thunderbolt 2016
    2.6 GHz: 6700HQ
    2.7 GHz: 6820HQ
    2.9 GHz: 6920HQ

As to which CPU is best for you, it all depends on what you need. Most people don't ned the fastest CPU. Most people don't even need the slowest CPU they offer because most people don't process data that ever spikes the CPU. I prefer the 15" model (and I'd even go for a 17" model if they offered it again) but I'd be fine with a dual-core CPU with Intel's Iris Pro integrated GPU and no discreet GPU. That would increase my battery life tremendously, potentially even allowing for a larger battery that would increase the battery life in another way, but that's not an option so I'll go with what is available.

* Apple would cheaper because they buy millions, but there's been talk for years that Apple also buys the more power efficient versions within a specific product number which would result in an increase, so it's impossible to know how much Apple pays for each cheap. Regardless, this does show a price difference from Intel.
    edited October 2016 rbonner
  • Reply 40 of 193
    Soli said:

@macplusplus gave us the model numbers in post 4 of this thread.
    This credit belongs to the author, not me ;-) I've just built a simple list for ease of copy/paste, from what I've read in the article.
    Solidoozydozen