Foxconn working on wireless charging system for 'iPhone 8,' report says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32

One last thing I wish they would include a close all function so when you double tap your home button to close apps running in the background, so you can just close them all instead of each one at a time..

Probably because there isn't a good reason to close all the apps out of the App Switcher. People who do that are basically wasting their time and going through the charge on their battery faster than they would if they just left them open. 

(Because they aren't "running in the background")

Well that's not correct, when there in the background, they are still using cellular data, so if there still using data, they must be still running, plus having less open does have a huge impact on consuming your battery life. I did a test this morning with 15 apps running in the background on an iPhone 7 Plus, they were all still using data. So if that's the way it is supposed to be, then Apple needs to fix this. It still would be better to have a closed all option. Closing one at a time is a PITA sometimes. :)

edited November 2016
  • Reply 22 of 32
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ireland said:
    Never a big fan of glass sandwich design of 4/4s. Preferred aluminium unibody of iPhone 5/5s/SE order of magnitude more. Hope iPhone 8 has aluminium rear. It's more durable and will never smash. As Ive has just said, different is easy, not necessarily better. I hope Apple has the courage to sacrifice the newness of a glass rear for the practicality of a more shatter resistant phone. It would still have a bezel-free design with all sorts of goodies anyway.
    i'm not sure i buy into the durability argument. i've dropped my 5 and 6 before, and they got nasty dings that permanently marred the shell. i never managed to shatter my 4 models' backside...but if i did? very, very simple repair -- two screws, pop off rear panel, replace. it was literally a 15-second operation (as part of a battery replacement). 
  • Reply 23 of 32

Well Apple did drop the headphone jack; everybody I know including myself, can't stand wires. Plus the Lighting Jack headphones sound so much better too, but they have already said wireless charging is coming next year on the iPhone 8, it would be great if they brought out wireless charging that didn't use a wireless charging pad, that would really be awesome. I do really wish they would have done that with the iPhone 7 when they ditched the headphone jack, it would have made more sense for some people. But it will be interesting to see what they come out with next fall. One last thing I wish they would include a close all function so when you double tap your home button to close apps running in the background, so you can just close them all instead of each one at a time.

for god's sake, you don't need to manually and habitually close your recently used apps! apple's own VP of software has confirmed this...ios manages the apps for you by suspending apps you're no longer using. in fact by force-closing them you incur MORE battery usage because it then has to load from scratch the next time you open it. 

the only apps you need ever force-close are ones running background processes such as music, GPS, or file transfers. 

http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/10/should-you-quit-ios-apps-answer/

edited November 2016
  • Reply 24 of 32

It was done a 100 years ago!   Time for Apple to catch up to ancient technology.   

Unfortunately, he was never able to complete the experiment (or was it proof of concept?) after he ran out of funding...

So, Apple!   Come on!   You're a 100 years out of date.   Time to catch-up! 
    Can't tell if you're being sarcastic. 

So, is it time for Apple to catch up to "ancient technology" because they are "100 years out of date" or was Tesla's work an experiment or a proof of concept?  Where has this wireless charging you are alluding to as being ancient ever been used in a practical application by millions of consumers?
  • Reply 25 of 32

So what does inductive charging (as used in the Apple Watch) buy you?   I see nothing.   Actually I see a negative.  It is actually harder for me to charge my Apple Watch than my IPhone:   For the watch, I clean the crystal (because its been reported the charger scratches it) then figure out which side of the charger to use (not an easy task in a dimly lit room) and then carefully attach the charger to the watch and then check it to be sure its charging.   But, despite all that, several times I've woken in the morning to find the watch not charged.

a few things. 1) the rear of your Watch is not crystal. 2) i've never heard of or been concerned with the charger scratching the watch. 3) if you use a nifty bedside charging dock you need never struggle attaching it in the dark. 4) i've never checked to be sure its charging, it just charges. day 1 users of two, here. 
  • Reply 26 of 32

One last thing I wish they would include a close all function so when you double tap your home button to close apps running in the background, so you can just close them all instead of each one at a time..

Probably because there isn't a good reason to close all the apps out of the App Switcher. People who do that are basically wasting their time and going through the charge on their battery faster than they would if they just left them open. 

(Because they aren't "running in the background")

Well that's not correct, when there in the background, they are still using cellular data, so if there still using data, they must be still running, plus having less open does have a huge impact on consuming your battery life. I did a test this morning with 15 apps running in the background on an iPhone 7 Plus, they were all still using data. So if that's the way it is supposed to be, then Apple needs to fix this. It still would be better to have a closed all option. Closing one at a time is a PITA sometimes. :)

sorry but you're wrong. unless your test apps are actually manipulating file processes, simply sitting in the background doesn't cause them to continue consuming data or continue running. they will in short order be put into a suspended state, tho may occasionally be updated with background refresh enabled. if you don't want that the best thing to do is disable background refresh. 

but closing them? a silly myth. something windows or android users need to do, not ios users. 

• Reply 27 of 32

Well Apple did drop the headphone jack; everybody I know including myself, can't stand wires. Plus the Lighting Jack headphones sound so much better too, but they have already said wireless charging is coming next year on the iPhone 8, it would be great if they brought out wireless charging that didn't use a wireless charging pad, that would really be awesome. I do really wish they would have done that with the iPhone 7 when they ditched the headphone jack, it would have made more sense for some people. But it will be interesting to see what they come out with next fall. One last thing I wish they would include a close all function so when you double tap your home button to close apps running in the background, so you can just close them all instead of each one at a time.

for god's sake, you don't need to manually and habitually close your recently used apps! apple's own VP of software has confirmed this...ios manages the apps for you by suspending apps you're no longer using. in fact by force-closing them you incur MORE battery usage because it then has to load from scratch the next time you open it. 

the only apps you need ever force-close are ones running background processes such as music, GPS, or file transfers. 

Well that's not correct, when there in the background, they are still using cellular data, so if there still using data, they must be still running. I have read that and I thought that was way it was now too, but something is messed up then, because if there still using data, then that tells me there still running and draining the battery.Seems like when they released the portrait update, things have been really goofy, heck I even notice my pictures don't look near as good on my iPhone 7 Plus, I hope there working on this. :)
  • Reply 28 of 32
    but closing them? a silly myth. something windows or android users need to do, not ios users. 

I’m sorry but I find that hard to believe, closing apps running in the background has always made the difference for me on battery life, and I am a heavy user on my iPhone, so consuming battery has always made a big difference for me. I really wish they made a case with an extended battery for my iPhone 7 Plus, but Thanks! for your thoughts on this Sir.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    I’m sorry but I find that hard to believe, closing apps running in the background has always made the difference for me on battery life,
    I'm not trying to come off as hard but it doesn't matter what you believe, the reality is that you don't need to close your apps out (with rare exceptions, such as an unresponsive app). If you think closing apps has always made the difference for you it's likely just the placebo effect. 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Only time will tell. Thanks for your thoughts on this Sir. 
  • Reply 31 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

So what does inductive charging (as used in the Apple Watch) buy you?   I see nothing.   Actually I see a negative.  It is actually harder for me to charge my Apple Watch than my IPhone:   For the watch, I clean the crystal (because its been reported the charger scratches it) then figure out which side of the charger to use (not an easy task in a dimly lit room) and then carefully attach the charger to the watch and then check it to be sure its charging.   But, despite all that, several times I've woken in the morning to find the watch not charged.

a few things. 1) the rear of your Watch is not crystal. 2) i've never heard of or been concerned with the charger scratching the watch. 3) if you use a nifty bedside charging dock you need never struggle attaching it in the dark. 4) i've never checked to be sure its charging, it just charges. day 1 users of two, here. 
    OK, its composite rather than 'crystal' (whatever that is...
    And yes, scratching of the 'crystal' DOES in fact happen frequently.   The cause is unknown, but many have blamed it on the charger.
    And, as I said:  I myself have had instances where the watch was not charged after being on the charger overnight.  So, now I check.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

It was done a 100 years ago!   Time for Apple to catch up to ancient technology.   

Unfortunately, he was never able to complete the experiment (or was it proof of concept?) after he ran out of funding...

So, Apple!   Come on!   You're a 100 years out of date.   Time to catch-up! 
    Can't tell if you're being sarcastic. 

So, is it time for Apple to catch up to "ancient technology" because they are "100 years out of date" or was Tesla's work an experiment or a proof of concept?  Where has this wireless charging you are alluding to as being ancient ever been used in a practical application by millions of consumers?
    I'm being tongue in cheek;
    Tesla was an eccentric genius on par with Edison and Westinghouse.  In fact, he is the one who made our modern day AC power system viable.  Later, he went on to demonstrate that he could light a bulb (a precursor of today's fluorescent bulbs) without attaching it to a power source.   The power it received came through space just like radio waves and cellular data do today "wirelessly".   

He believed that that concept could be used to send electrical power to homes and business miles away by sending it from towers much like the cellular towers we have today instead of building out the electrical grid that we still use today.   Unfortunately he ran out of funding before he could prove that it was a feasible concept.   Is it feasible?   We may never know...

But, what he did prove feasible was wireless transmission (broadcast?) of electrical power over short distances -- and that is what the article is talking about:  Apple enabling the charging of phones without wires.   And yes, I was being tongue in cheek when I said Apple needed to catch up to 100 year old technology.  But, that is what it would be using if it succeeds in making that happen:  technology Tesla demonstrated 100 years ago.