Elgato officially debuts Apple HomeKit-compatible Eve Motion sensor

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2016
After teasing the product at a trade show in September, HomeKit device manufacturer Elgato has officially unveiled its motion sensor, the Eve Motion.

the new motion sensor by long-time Apple accessory vendor Elgato has a 120 degree sensor with a 9 meter range (29.5 feet), and is splash-proof. The device runs on a pair of AA batteries, with a lifetime of a year.

Through the Home app in iOS 10, the new motion sensor can be used to switch devices, or as a trigger for pre-configured scenes. Connectivity is as normal with HomeKit -- through Bluetooth or Wi-Fi depending on user configuration and needs.

The Eve Motion is now available for $49.95.

Introduced in 2014, HomeKit allows users to connect to a variety of compatible so-called "internet of things" devices through the iOS Home app in conjunction with each other, as opposed to a series of disconnected interfaces. The addition of Siri control to HomeKit allows for complicated sequences of events to be induced from an iOS device or a Mac running Sierra.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Does its Bluetooth radio have a range of only 10 meters?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cpsro said:
    Does its Bluetooth radio have a range of only 10 meters?
    Not sure , but BT range is pretty rubbery once you put real world objects & bits of a house in the way (as is Wi-fi).

Given its 1 year battery life it's likely not a class 1 - i.e. High power /long range BT device.

Getting coverage of HomeKit devices from a single HomeKit Hub is something I'm finding pretty limiting

• Reply 3 of 4
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Shitz...instead, make a HomeKit Pusher, like Microbot Pusher...so I can turn my dumb garage opener into a smart one and even can remotely flush my toilet.
    edited November 2016 lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Magnus919Magnus919 Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    The Elgato site contradicts the assertion that WiFi connectivity is included. Just low energy Bluetooth. So basically, yeah, more sucktastic low-range maybe-it-will-work HomeKit toys. It'd be nice if Apple held manufacturers to a higher standard before they kill the HomeKit brand's reputation in the cradle.