Questionable rumor says Apple could add 'Jet White' option for iPhone 7 & 7 Plus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    larz2112 said:
    Personally the color choices for the iPhone are of little consequence to me. My phone is always in a case, so I never see the color of it. The color of the case basically becomes the color of my phone. Likewise, I rarely see the color of anyone else's phone because the majority of them are in cases. Yeah, I know, some colors have a slightly higher resale value, but that is not a huge concern for me either. 
    I liked the look of the Jet Black, which is what I preordered, be after holding them I didn't care for the tacky feel. Switched to matte black. I, obviously, don't use a case.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    My choice would be "Imagine White" in honor of John Lennon and his white Steinway. Sure they'll have to dip into the piggy jar for some royalty cash but it would be worth it. 
  • Reply 23 of 42
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I don't see Apple releasing a new phone colour mid-cycle, without having mentioned it previously. With the negative backlash over the MacBook Pro, the last thing they need is to say "Hey, here's a new, shiny thing we didn't even tell you about 2 months ago when you were looking to upgrade your phone." It would undoubtedly be met with "Well, I would have bought that if it had been available at the time, and now I'm upset I can't have it" mixed with "Apple are just trying to screw us for more money".

If they are planning a "Gloss White" (as many pointed out above, "Jet White" is a bad name, it was presumably thought up by someone who was only aware it involved a similar polishing process to the Jet Black phone), I would expect it to be next year's new colour.

Maybe, just maybe, they'll release it around March to try and revitalise iPhone sales which might have slowed by then, but they never seemed to need to do that before.

Either way, I look forward to the Almost Gloss White Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Now less explode-y than ever before!

watto_cobrarandominternetperson
  • Reply 24 of 42
    dewme said:
    My choice would be "Imagine White" in honor of John Lennon and his white Steinway. Sure they'll have to dip into the piggy jar for some royalty cash but it would be worth it. 
    Almost would get blasted for that name.
  • Reply 25 of 42

there's a Fr Ted moment for everything
  • Reply 26 of 42
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    anome said:

I don't see Apple releasing a new phone colour mid-cycle, without having mentioned it previously. With the negative backlash over the MacBook Pro, the last thing they need is to say "Hey, here's a new, shiny thing we didn't even tell you about 2 months ago when you were looking to upgrade your phone." It would undoubtedly be met with "Well, I would have bought that if it had been available at the time, and now I'm upset I can't have it" mixed with "Apple are just trying to screw us for more money".

If they are planning a "Gloss White" (as many pointed out above, "Jet White" is a bad name, it was presumably thought up by someone who was only aware it involved a similar polishing process to the Jet Black phone), I would expect it to be next year's new colour.

Maybe, just maybe, they'll release it around March to try and revitalise iPhone sales which might have slowed by then, but they never seemed to need to do that before.

Either way, I look forward to the Almost Gloss White Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Now less explode-y than ever before!

"Snow White" is already in Apple's lexicon of Trademarked design names. 

I think we ned look no further than the Watch mid-season case material updates during its first year. Add to that the alignment of Watch release with the new iPhones, and one can imagine a correlation between customers wanting their watches to match their phones. They need to add a matte black watch case, which I can imagine appearing alongside a "Snow White" option to match the Edition model. Jet Black is already covered in the stainless models. 

So it would not surprise me at all to see a new phone model finish appear mid-cycle, especially if there's no SE upgrade to boost iPhone sales in the Spring as there was last year. A white option would almost certainly see some customers who already bought the 7 upgrading yet again, as well as getting customers who skipped the 7 upgrade to re-consider. New watch case colors, and bands, and a new iPhone to complement both product lines. I could even see new iPad Pros being released along side it in Snow White and Jet Black as well, possibly even the Retina MacBook, which would help sell the first MacBook to possibly drop the headphone jack.

• Reply 27 of 42
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    mac_128 said:
    anome said:

I think we ned look no further than the Watch mid-season case material updates during its first year. Add to that the alignment of Watch release with the new iPhones, and one can imagine a correlation between customers wanting their watches to match their phones. They need to add a matte black watch case, which I can imagine appearing alongside a "Snow White" option to match the Edition model. Jet Black is already covered in the stainless models. 

So it would not surprise me at all to see a new phone model finish appear mid-cycle, especially if there's no SE upgrade to boost iPhone sales in the Spring as there was last year. A white option would almost certainly see some customers who already bought the 7 upgrading yet again, as well as getting customers who skipped the 7 upgrade to re-consider. New watch case colors, and bands, and a new iPhone to complement both product lines. I could even see new iPad Pros being released along side it in Snow White and Jet Black as well, possibly even the Retina MacBook, which would help sell the first MacBook to possibly drop the headphone jack.

Why would Apple need to trademark the color name? Jet Black has been used in many products for years: BMW cars. I can see Alpine White as another name for the phone too.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 28 of 42
    mac_128 said:
    anome said:

I was only using "Gloss White" as a generic term, not as a proposed trademark. It's glossy, and it's white.

What mid-season case material updates were there during the Apple Watch's first year? I didn't think they changed anything until about 15 months after the eventual release (IE at the iPhone event, after it was released in May last year.)
  • Reply 29 of 42
    anome said:
    What mid-season case material updates were there during the Apple Watch's first year? I didn't think they changed anything until about 15 months after the eventual release (IE at the iPhone event, after it was released in May last year.)
    They added new band options. You do specific "case material updates," but this is really about visual aesthetics, so the bands should count, even though they are interchangeable.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Soli said:
    anome said:
    They added new band options. You do specific "case material updates," but this is really about visual aesthetics, so the bands should count, even though they are interchangeable.

I only specified "case material updates" because that's what mac_128 said. To my mind, the band is really an accessory to the watch, albeit a rather important one. It's more akin to them releasing new colours of iPhone cases, rather than releasing a new iPhone colour.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    anome said:
    mac_128 said:
    anome said:

I was only using "Gloss White" as a generic term, not as a proposed trademark. It's glossy, and it's white.

I meant to use different wording -- I meant different case colors. They added gold and rose gold in the Fall with new band releases in the first year. This is similar, except it may well be a new case material as well. 

As for "Snow White", they don't have to trademark it, I meant more from the standpoint that it is a specific Apple relatable term, in as much as Apple has regularly recycled names from old products to new, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it used. Jony Ive in particular would be well acquainted with "Snow White", albeit that it never referred to color and rather a design language. 
  • Reply 32 of 42
    anome said:
    Soli said:
    anome said:
    I only specified "case material updates" because that's what mac_128 said. To my mind, the band is really an accessory to the watch, albeit a rather important one. It's more akin to them releasing new colours of iPhone cases, rather than releasing a new iPhone colour.
    I see that argument, too, but I'm leaning heavily toward it counting since it's pretty much a requirement for use outside of a really unique setup; and unlike an Apple-branded, after-market phone case, Watches get shipped with a band so it could definitely be a tactic to invigorate Watch sales, not just the sale of a watch band.

But keep in mind that Apple has had a prior debacle with a white glass phone that was announced and then took 15(?) months to come to market because they couldn't get the color right. I remember a lot of people that held off buying because they wanted white. That was under Jobs as CEO. They really shouldn't announce anything they aren't certain they can ship quickly. Even waiting a month for the new MBPs with a Touch Bar is a bit disappointing. Let's also remember that they didn't have much or any announcement before they came out with the 16GB iPhone 3G mid-cycle. If they do white back casing again, making it a mid-season drop wouldn't be a bad idea to help invigorate sales mid-cycle with a slowing smartphone market.

So what sounds more Apple to you: announcement something that won't be for sale 6+ months ahead of time, or wait until you work out the process and then let the announcements fly?
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Soli said:
    anome said:
    Soli said:
    anome said:
    I see that argument, too, but I'm leaning heavily toward it counting since it's pretty much a requirement for use outside of a really unique setup; and unlike an Apple-branded, after-market phone case, Watches get shipped with a band so it could definitely be a tactic to invigorate Watch sales, not just the sale of a watch band.

But keep in mind that Apple has had a prior debacle with a white glass phone that was announced and then took 15(?) months to come to market because they couldn't get the color right. I remember a lot of people that held off buying because they wanted white. That was under Jobs as CEO. They really shouldn't announce anything they aren't certain they can ship quickly. Even waiting a month for the new MBPs with a Touch Bar is a bit disappointing. Let's also remember that they didn't have much or any announcement before they came out with the 16GB iPhone 3G mid-cycle. If they do white back casing again, making it a mid-season drop wouldn't be a bad idea to help invigorate sales mid-cycle with a slowing smartphone market.

So what sounds more Apple to you: announcement something that won't be for sale 6+ months ahead of time, or wait until you work out the process and then let the announcements fly?

Definitely waiting until they get the process right, and then selling it, but that also tends to push it more towards next year's model, rather than releasing it for this year's. If they have the white process sorted now, then they can focus on the other aspects of the new phone, whether it's the 7S or the iPhone 8 X Anniversary Edition.

In other words, that they're working on a white version in a similar style to Jet Black wouldn't surprise me, but releasing it before next year's iPhone event would.

• Reply 34 of 42
    anome said:
    Soli said:
    anome said:
    Soli said:
    anome said:

Definitely waiting until they get the process right, and then selling it, but that also tends to push it more towards next year's model, rather than releasing it for this year's. If they have the white process sorted now, then they can focus on the other aspects of the new phone, whether it's the 7S or the iPhone 8 X Anniversary Edition.

In other words, that they're working on a white version in a similar style to Jet Black wouldn't surprise me, but releasing it before next year's iPhone event would.

Here are the release dates for the iPhone 4. It was a wonky year.
    • GSM model (black): June 24, 2010
    • CDMA model (black): February 10, 2011
    • GSM and CDMA models (white): April 28, 2011

Now, that was also the last time they started with a mid-year release. The iPhone 4S came out October 14, 2011, making the white model closer to the middle of the cycle than the end.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 35 of 42
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Not only love the jet black color, but am finally getting a protective bumper that matches the color while allowing the beauty of the phone to shine through. 
    https://www.thanotech.com/pages/iphone-7-k11-bumper
    Debuting in January.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 36 of 42
    EmptyBurgerEmptyBurger Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    madprof73 said:
    Jet white…? Didn't know jet could be white…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_(lignite)
    I'm holding out for a Pitch White model. :|
    Solibaconstangrandominternetperson
  • Reply 37 of 42
    madprof73 said:

I'm waiting for Vanta White that will be the most reflective surface ever created by man.

• Reply 38 of 42
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    That actually makes sense. Also I reckon fingerprints and scratches would be less noticeable on such a bright shade. As in the car world glossy black shows every imperfection, white far less so. I doubt it'll be introduced on the current 7/7 Plus line though, more likely next years iPhone 8. But then again maybe the 7 line will get it when the upgraded iPad/iMac line are introduced in the first half of next year...to boost the inevitable continuous drop in sales after the holiday season.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 39 of 42
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    I'll bet Ive could come up with a beige you'd DIE FOR!
    Maybe with a rainbow ?
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Soli said:
    madprof73 said:

I'm waiting for Vanta White that will be the most reflective surface ever created by man.

That video comes across as an Onion parody of an Apple design video.  And someone needs to tell that guy to tuck his nose into his filter mask.