First look: Apple's Powerbeats 3 Bluetooth headphones with W1 chip and 12-hour battery life

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    nhughes said:
    I have spoken to accessory makers who say Apple does not allow iPhone-connected devices to be powered by the Lightning port because battery use is already at a premium. 
    Huh. I hadn't considered that but it makes sense, given Apple's constant emphasis on battery life in Keynotes.

As for why the Powerbeats3 and Beats Solo3 don't recharge via a Lightning to USB cable (while other products like the Beats Pill do), only Apple can answer that one. My guess, however, is that they sell a considerable amount of Beats headphones to non-iOS device users, and their internal research suggests a switch to Lightning would deter sales to that market.
    This is the first thing that came to my mind. Isn't micro-USB the required charging standard in the EU? Another adapter to through into another box. Given the branding of Beats, probably more non-Apple people will buy them than Apple people. Apple probably doesn't mind that.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
     Obviously it's the future, but if you're going to introduce the user base to the future I think it ought to be a complete picture. 
    TL;WNRL

The future happens minute by minute, day by day, not sprung forth fully formed like some mythical goddess from daddy's forehead.

Too many people parrot the 'this is the ________ they should have shipped' mantra totally clueless of the benefit derived by people and early adopters (a species of their own) from initial versions of any number of products or devices.

I'll wait until the AirPods are shipping and reviewed before passing any judgement or assuming any incompetence and short-sightedness of Apple engineers.

For me it's a very simple fret-free process— wait, examine, evaluate, conclude, act/don't.
    Soliwilliamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 24
    "first look"? On headphones? What about a "first listen"?
    Soli
  • Reply 24 of 24
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Wonder if the sweat resistance has improved... I'm on my 4th set of the PB2 in 8 months (just keep returning them to Apple for a new pair)... and all I'm doing is gym treadmill + weights (though a lot... and sweat a lot). Hopefully when the latest pair die in a few weeks (as they always do) they won't have any PB2s to hand me and will get a set of PB3s in replacement. Note I'm sure even with all the exchanges they've still made a healthy margin