Quick take video review: Apple's 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar is an exciting upgrade

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2021
Apple's new 15-inch MacBook Pro is the lightest and thinnest professional-grade notebook ever from the company. It features a high-contrast wide color Retina display, improved speakers, a larger Force Touch trackpad, versatile expansion via USB-C and Thunderbolt 3, Touch ID, and it's the first device to sport the Touch Bar input row. If you're looking to buy, AppleInsider has you covered with everything you need to know in our video review.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

We're also interested in your questions! If you want to know anything about the new MacBook Pro and its OLED Touch Bar, USB-C ports, Touch ID fingerprint sensor or any other new features, chime in on our forums and we'll address it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I hadn't used Secure Notes yet because it's too much of a chore to input a password. Thanks for noting how the new MBP will make this convenience with Touch ID.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    It's not professional grade.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    bdkennedy said:
    Since when does the "Pro" portion of the MacBook Pro mean it's only for supposed Pros? Apple only uses this designation to separate it from the lower end MacBook. Is any laptop actually powerful enough for real professionals? People are making too many assumptions into how Apple labels a product. The only true Pro Apple product was/is the Mac Pro. Everything else is less than what a Pro would actually want in their equipment. The problem with my statement is there are not enough professionals to justify creating a separate line of computer products. Of course, speed freaks and geeks will buy the Pro line equipment just because but there aren't enough of those to justify the additional R&D and expense to build them. The old Mac Pros were affordable when compared to other computers but the new Mac Pro was lights out when it came out and had a price to match. I don't know how many Mac Pros were purchased but it doesn't appear there were enough to justify continuing development of that product line. Apple might surprise everyone and upgrade/replace the Mac Pro when Intel and Nvidia/AMD finally come out with something that justifies the upgrade but maybe they won't, pushing the MBP as the best way to provide professional tools to those who actually need them. 
    jony0
  • Reply 4 of 9
    bdkennedy said:
    What the heck does that mean? "Professional" for whom? You probably do a fraction of the data processing I do...
    Bluntkevin kee
  • Reply 5 of 9
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    bdkennedy said:
    Well you don't sound verry professional so it might be the perfect machine for you.
    jcdinkinskevin kee
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bdkennedy said:
    It is, you're not.
    kevin kee
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Maybe bdkennedy was being ironic and mocking all the asshats.  I've yet to see one of them show me a professional grade laptop that isn't a whole lot more expensive, none have.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Soli said:
    I hadn't used Secure Notes yet because it's too much of a chore to input a password. Thanks for noting how the new MBP will make this convenience with Touch ID.

I assume you are talking only about the Mac, right? On iOS you can secure the notes with your finger-print.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    I assume you are talking only about the Mac, right? On iOS you can secure the notes with your finger-print.
    Yes, the Mac.