Jony Ive speaks on means and methods of 'Designed by Apple in California' book

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Yeah, I mean it's like Jamie Oliver teaching how to cook!! Sorry to be blunt, but you're wrong. Copying a recipe for success won't turn another company into Apple. You can't look at this book and suddenly replicate Apple's culture. A culture is about values and they must be internal. How they work is born of their values as people and what they see as important. This book and the accompanying video is Apple putting design itself on a pedestal. It's good for the brand to show the outside world to what degree they value this stuff. And it's good for internal teams within Apple to remind themselves why Apple exists and how it views itself. This is something Samsung cannot copy. But you miss that nuance.

You'll run yourself into an early grave the way you're going. No amount money or whatever value you have on your AAPL shares is worth your constant complaining. Give yourself a break. Take up daily meditation or something. I never in a million years thought I'd need it but for 9 months now I meditate once or twice a day. You might try it. Might calm down your need to control the world for a while and improve your health. Life's too short. All this giving out isn't getting you anywhere. Have a think about it.
    Good point about cooking cooking, I know and I do a good bit of it. One can follow as closely as one can on a recipe but the ending may be great or plain lousy. Knowing the recipe wouldn't makes one a good cook. SOG35 the troll, time to crawl back to that wet place under the rock which you called home.
    netmage
  • Reply 42 of 59
    It's a beautiful book.
    I'd know that I'd certainly find a greater appreciation for the company if I had the opportunity to spend some quality time with the book. 
    macpluspluspatchythepirate
  • Reply 43 of 59
    Why is this book not available as a downloaded iBook for $9.99???

I thought we were told iBooks were the way of the future and kinder to the environment because they didn't waste paper?

I thought I was told to buy expensive iPads and 5000k monitors because they revel images in stunning, life-like colors?

Let's give Jony another bazillion shares in stock options for his new job title, Apple Historian. 

• Reply 44 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    bobroo said:

I thought we were told iBooks were the way of the future and kinder to the environment because they didn't waste paper?
    Paper is renewable and knowing Apple the book is made from recycled stuffs. But the point here is this is an object for your table as much as it is a book. It's something to use and view for years. Way more sentimental than an app. Apple have been binding books and calendars for years. They've lots of experience at it and are good at it.
    edited November 2016 netmagejony0
  • Reply 45 of 59
    jkichline said:
    macxpress said:
    blastdoor said:
    Dude -- if you want to retire and teach then just do it.

i want a new Mac Pro, not a coffee table book!
    Yeah Apple decided a book was more important than a niche product for them. And yes, sorry the Mac Pro is a nice product for them. Also ummm...what CPU do you suppose they use in it? 
    Yeah because they don't have like 2,000 engineers working on stuff already. Sheesh. One or more people working on a book in a corporation like Apple is NOT going to pull their focus.

Look, the hold up on the MacPro (and the MacBook Pro) is that Intel hasn't released anything new that is any faster than what they already have.  Sure they can release an incremental update that may be marginally faster (like a few percentage points), but why when they are planning to refresh in a few months? They need to now wait until the next release of Xeon chips based on Skylake: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-xeon-skylake-purley-cpu,31980.html which have been severely delayed and has pushed Apple's roadmap out as well.

Apple's designers are probably waiting on the technology they designed for to catch up and become available at this point. We know that Apple's new way forward is TB3 over USB-C so expect the new MacPro to feature USB-C at 40 Gb/s instead of 20 Gb/s.  You'll also expect much faster memory, more memory expandability and faster SSD access.
    When one of the people working on the book is Jony Ive, yeah it really is a problem. 

I'm getting the impression that this guy has his finger in as many pies as Jobs did, but without Jobs' maniacal work ethic. I'd love to know how many projects at Apple are being held up because Jony hasn't signed off on them yet because he's dreaming about new cars or working on a book. 
  • Reply 46 of 59
    Books like this (they're a category, yes) all sell for around what Apple is charging. The print process alone is pretty impressive. 

I don't understand the outrage. It's an industry special edition book that's essentially a collector's item. 
    brucemcnetmagejibberjwelshdog
  • Reply 47 of 59
    altivec88 said:
    macxpress said:
    blastdoor said:

Yeah Apple decided a book was more important than a niche product for them. And yes, sorry the Mac Pro is a nice product for them. Also ummm...what CPU do you suppose they use in it? 
    What CPU do you suppose they use.... Really dude. The Xeon E5 CPU in the MacPro has been updated by intel twice since 2013. The E5v2 tops out at 12 cores, the current E5v4 tops at 22 cores. For those needing this level of power, such as ourselves, this difference is enormous. The improvements in graphics cards since that time is even more drastic. You have no idea, how many companies rely on the Mac Pro as their back bone. The Mac Pro has been updated once in 5 years. We skipped the 2013 update because Apple's design choice of removing a cpu and causing it to max out at 12 cores made it equal to what we already had. So here we are 5 years later and still stuck at 12 cores with aging/dying systems. We refuse to replace any with the full price current 3 year old tech and our frustration with Apple grows every day. So although the Mac Pro may be niche, without it, we will be dumping all Apple products. Don't get me wrong because I am aware that Apple just wants to be a phone company. If they are dropping the Mac Pro, I just wish they would have some respect and communicate it ASAP so all us companies that are waiting and waiting so that we can transition on. The frustration level from the pro market is at a full boil. So every time we hear about executives working on a book or a Christmas tree, when their flagship computer is 3 years old and a complete embaressment , there is going to be some negative comments on the board.
    What on earth are you doing on your Mac Pro that it is too slow for you? (assuming you have a Mac Pro). Until we move into 8k video do we really need a Mac with 24 cores?
  • Reply 48 of 59
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Books like this (they're a category, yes) all sell for around what Apple is charging. The print process alone is pretty impressive. 

I don't understand the outrage. It's an industry special edition book that's essentially a collector's item. 
    As more and more people grow up in the era of believing that copyright infringement is not an issue, where they trade "free" services for their eyeballs, and there is an ever increasing amount of cheap e-waste junk which lasts a couple of months in use, they lose perspective on quality.  They want everything priced so that it takes no decision to purchase (e.g. Apple Watch should have been priced at $99 or less).  

One thing I respect about Apple has been their approach to pricing (not that they don't sometimes push the boundaries too much sometimes).  They price for value, not just "cost +".  I might not like the price of certain items (e.g. new MBPs) as it makes it difficult for me to justify them, but I respect the general pricing approach.  The products have superior build quality, include s/w and support not provided by others, and maintain their value as a result.  Thus they are priced accordingly.

This book is something that sounds like it was a large expense to produce, using great quality photos and materials, so why not price it as value.  The whole point of a collectors edition is that it won't be priced so everyone can buy it and not care.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    jkichline said:
    macxpress said:
    blastdoor said:

Yeah because they don't have like 2,000 engineers working on stuff already. Sheesh. One or more people working on a book in a corporation like Apple is NOT going to pull their focus.

Look, the hold up on the MacPro (and the MacBook Pro) is that Intel hasn't released anything new that is any faster than what they already have.  Sure they can release an incremental update that may be marginally faster (like a few percentage points), but why when they are planning to refresh in a few months? They need to now wait until the next release of Xeon chips based on Skylake: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-xeon-skylake-purley-cpu,31980.html which have been severely delayed and has pushed Apple's roadmap out as well.

Apple's designers are probably waiting on the technology they designed for to catch up and become available at this point. We know that Apple's new way forward is TB3 over USB-C so expect the new MacPro to feature USB-C at 40 Gb/s instead of 20 Gb/s.  You'll also expect much faster memory, more memory expandability and faster SSD access.

yes, you might have to wait... more core does not mean better, unless you have software that can take advantage of it.  https://www.lifewire.com/multiple-core-processors-832453 ; it is complicated, that is why no chinese processor chip out there...
    FYI.  transmission 40Gb/s or 20Gb/s need overall consideration, not just locally, what ever the USB-C or not.  what ever is the system bottle neck, will be the over all transmission speed.  The industry moves according to roadmap, that involved tooling, chip making equipment (10 nm or 14 nm technology), testing...etc.  if you jump over the curve, it will costly (you are in the customer made non-standard situation... you can not do a bench mark - round robin test, because you have no one to compare to... basically, you are on your own - that is why called bleeding edge at leading edge).  For example, if you have fast processor, but no stack of memory that can take advantage - or not small enough to fit in to your phone, or the delay that will long enough to slow your speed, you can forget the performance enhancement...) IMHO.  besides, it will cost you arms and legs - if not your head (layoff). 

• Reply 50 of 59
    ireland said:
    macxpress said:
    altivec88 said:
    macxpress said:
    blastdoor said:

What CPU do you suppose they use.... Really dude. The Xeon E5 CPU in the MacPro has been updated by intel twice since 2013. The E5v2 tops out at 12 cores, the current E5v4 tops at 22 cores. For those needing this level of power, such as ourselves, this difference is enormous. The improvements in graphics cards since that time is even more drastic. You have no idea, how many companies rely on the Mac Pro as their back bone. The Mac Pro has been updated once in 5 years. We skipped the 2013 update because Apple's design choice of removing a cpu and causing it to max out at 12 cores made it equal to what we already had. So here we are 5 years later and still stuck at 12 cores with aging/dying systems. We refuse to replace any with the full price current 3 year old tech and our frustration with Apple grows every day. So although the Mac Pro may be niche, without it, we will be dumping all Apple products. Don't get me wrong because I am aware that Apple just wants to be a phone company. If they are dropping the Mac Pro, I just wish they would have some respect and communicate it ASAP so all us companies that are waiting and waiting so that we can transition on. The frustration level from the pro market is at a full boil. So every time we hear about executives working on a book or a Christmas tree, when their flagship computer is 3 years old and a complete embaressment , there is going to be some negative comments on the board.
    Mac Pros are NOT their flagship computer. Sorry dude try again. Its their least selling Mac. The Mac Pro is the least of their worries. What exactly are you doing to where you need this kind of power?
    The Mac Pro probably is headed for the dustbin. For whatever long term strategic goals Apple has in mind, it evidently does not include the high-end professional.
    I'd like if they maybe headed in my proposed direction: a Mac mini type computer that can be stacked both physically and technically. You stack as much power as you can afford and would like. There's virtually no need to the power you can get. I'd would replace both Mac Pro and Mac mini and really complete Apple's pro desktop vision for the future. As technology progresses people would need to stack less and less of them until the machine is needed no more and MacBook, phones, pads and iMacs do all we need.
    I'm with you on this one. Stackable minis to create a computing cluster would be a great solution.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:
    macxpress said:
    altivec88 said:
    macxpress said:
    blastdoor said:

Mac Pros are NOT their flagship computer. Sorry dude try again. Its their least selling Mac. The Mac Pro is the least of their worries. What exactly are you doing to where you need this kind of power?
    The Mac Pro probably is headed for the dustbin. For whatever long term strategic goals Apple has in mind, it evidently does not include the high-end professional.
    I'd like if they maybe headed in my proposed direction: a Mac mini type computer that can be stacked both physically and technically. You stack as much power as you can afford and would like. There's virtually no need to the power you can get. I'd would replace both Mac Pro and Mac mini and really complete Apple's pro desktop vision for the future. As technology progresses people would need to stack less and less of them until the machine is needed no more and MacBook, phones, pads and iMacs do all we need.
    I'm with you on this one. Stackable minis to create a computing cluster would be a great solution.
    Yeah it'd simplifly Apple's pro desktop computer lineup from two computers to one and cater to virtually every computer need their portables and iMacs do not.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 52 of 59
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ireland said:
    bobroo said:

Paper is renewable and knowing Apple the book is made from recycled stuffs. But the point here is this is an object for your table as much as it is a book. It's something to use and view for years. Way more sentimental than an app. Apple have been binding books and calendars for years. They've lots of experience at it and are good at it.
    This will be available as an iBook after the bound books sell out, though I don't see them really competing with each other, as you point out, this is primarily decoration for a coffee table or office ... An iBooks edition can't take the place of that.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 53 of 59
    altivec88 said:
    altivec88 said:
    The E5v2 tops out at 12 cores, the current E5v4 tops at 22 cores. For those needing this level of power, such as ourselves, this difference is enormous.

So is the price -  $7,007.00 for just one processor - and that's in lots of 1,000.  But you knew that, right? 

Think about the economics (and the niche-iness) of that for a minute.
    Yah so.  I'm not claiming that the 22 core is the sweet spot.  The top of the line chip usually isn't.  But if you drop a few cores, I find that the 18 core is decently priced.   The bottom line is that for the $9500 CAN Apple wants for its 12 core Mac Pro,  I can get a dual 18 core (36 total) Dell.  But you knew that too, right?

I can understand if you don't need that kind of power, or if you think that its niche or crazy money.  I get it, I really do.  But some of us do need it and the cost is justified by the work we produce.   For the last 30 years,  Apple has relatively kept up, so its not like I'm asking them to get into this market now.  They chose to be in it.  We built around them and now rely on them to provide us with the tools so that we can be competitive with our competitors that use PC's.  They have dropped the ball the last 5 years and we need and deserve to know what's going on.

I am not naive to think that this is not a niche market, nor am I asking Apple to do something they don't want to do.  I am asking them to decide if they are in or are they out.   Switching platforms is not an easy thing to do.  I don't want to switch to PC but if they say we are out of the pro market, then we have no choice.  So as long as the Mac Pro is for sale, I am with the mind set that they are interested in being in the pro market but just doing a really bad job of it.   Them leaving us in limbo like this is really not fair to us.   I just wish some of you would just understand where the pro market is coming from why they are so frustrated.

You make quite excellent points, but, wrong crowd, it's hard for most fans to fault Apple, especially in forums like these were people measure against their own experiences and use cases, everybody has such knee jerk reaction to any criticisms pointed at Apple because they usually do such a good job at most and honestly the company is so near and dear to all of us it's like a family member and any bashing from those not "related" is intolerable even if someone is just as much a fanboy as you are it's hard to stand it. If jony Ive was doing all these extramural things upon a "reasonably" happy and content fan base we'd all be aplauding and commenting, but it's not it's like the entire executive is far removed from their customers and that should worry us all, I'm not claiming any inadequacies against Apple I wouldn't dare but to use Jony's words people can sence carelessness they can sence when something was made with out love and passion, that has never been something you could accuse Apple of before whether you can now remaines one's own prerogative
  • Reply 54 of 59
    vahancouvervahancouver Posts: 14unconfirmed, member
    I don't undertsnad all the negativity around this book. It's a beautiful book about beautiful products most of us got to use, appreciate and love. Anyone knows why isn't it vaialbale in Canada? I would really like to buy one. Thank you.
    patchythepiratejony0
  • Reply 55 of 59

There's nothing to understand (no logical argument against this book). Anyone that complains about this is just being a fucking crybaby (or a troll). Grown adults (I assume), who are so self-important that they feel the urge to whine about this book. It's pathetic. I don't know how society functions as well as it does.

FWIW, I bought the book this am, will be picking it up at my local Apple store this evening, and I plan to enjoy it thoroughly.
    jony0
  • Reply 56 of 59
    "Dedicated to Steve Jobs." Nice touch. :)
    jony0
  • Reply 57 of 59
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    iqatedo said:

'Early iPod in the cockpit of Space Shuttle OV-105 Endeavour...' Another commercial product that years before could have been seen on the flight deck of a space shuttle was the Hewlett Packard 41 calculator (HP41). They ran a program that alerted crew to upcoming communications opportunities with ground stations. Can remember so clearly my first encounter with an HP calculator, hooked on RPN after that. My 1975 HP21 cost $120. Those days...

Ah yes, the HP-21. Now there's a nice blast from the past. After drooling over the HP-65 for a few years I did pick up an HP-21, kept it for less than a year to buy the HP-25, not quite the 65 but programmable, a deal breaker.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    I don't undertsnad all the negativity around this book. It's a beautiful book about beautiful products most of us got to use, appreciate and love. Anyone knows why isn't it vaialbale in Canada? I would really like to buy one. Thank you.
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm guessing by your name, you are also in Vancouver. I ordered mine off the US site, to be delivered to the Seattle store, where I will pick it up. But it makes no sense why it isn't online in Canada.