Apple marketing power, inconsistent video purchasing habits confusing Hollywood

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

...Most of it is priced the same as iTunes with a few series that stream for free. It's only a useful if you don't have an Apple and/ or Hulu, Netflix, HBO or Starz. ...
    It's funny, but I am beginning to tire of the following steps: (i) Switch TV inputs; (ii) turn on Apple TV; (iii) navigate to Netflix/iTunes Movies/HBO Go/Youtube/etc. etc; (iv) go through sign-ups seemingly randomly again and again (depends on the app); (v) when done, press and hold once to get to main screen; (vi) press and hold once again to turn off AppleTV; (vii) switch input back to TV viewing.

Even though the "connected TV" interface is less elegant than Apple's, I like the fact that two out of the three TVs have Amazon/Netflix/Youtube buttons right on the remote (there's one for Hulu too, but I don't subscribe), and allow me to watch those channels with one click.

Let me put it this way: AppleTV is likely not a must-have so as to be able to attract non-Apple users anymore, like it used to be.
    A very sensical post. Thanks! My wife enjoys her Roku TV in the bedroom for the same reasons, direct access to Netflix being the biggie along with Hulu to a lesser extent. Even popping over to Sling is darn easy. Going thru the same process (changing inputs, navigating to the app)  in the living room via Nvidia Shield TV is too bothersome for her when a single button on the remote works on another tv. 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 22 of 23
    ireland said:
    Wish they'd buy Netflix.
    Unfortunately, with Netflix all of their studio deals would not survive a transfer of ownership, which is why they've been charging full on into original content. They're like MTV when they originally started to develop their own content. Without original content, these companies really own nothing.
    edited November 2016