Colbert's 'Late Show' skewers cost, content of Apple's new design book

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    blastdoor said:
    foggyhill said:
    Most specialized Texbooks are $200+.
    Coffee table books are always quite expensive too.

Most people .talking about this have no clue and are not the target audience for this.
    They probably never bought a book over $30..

Man, Colbert's show is now a piece of shit.

So... Apple is in the textbook business now? Or the coffee table book business? 

The Mac Pro is too niche to bother updating, but the opportunities in the coffee table book industry are worth pursuing? 

The issue here is that this book is a giant waste of time for any Apple employee with any meaningful responsibility for anything (like, for example, Jony Ive). It's vanity, it's navel gazing, it's a distraction. It's not something that a person focused on changing the world would do. It's something to do at the end of a career, or it's something to outsource. 

If this is how Ive wants to spend his time these days he should really just retire, or maybe become an advisor. Let someone else step into the role of lead designer. 
    Good fracking god buddy, Apple has a marketing department, a communication department, a customer relationship department.
    They have a huge varied public and not all of them are you! That should be obvious...
    Institutional memory is important to a company like Apple and the people that have lived and been influenced by this company for 40 years.

Go beyond your fucking self; everyone's not you.
    The Mac Pro has been updated as much as can be with current tech, so again major no sequitur whining.
    Many people actually like the current design.
    edited November 2016 jibberjbaconstang
  • Reply 22 of 73
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    jkichline said:
    People don't understand nor do they appreciate the art and design of a finely-crafted book.  This is not a run-of-the-mill, paperback on cheap paper and crap, generic blank ink.  This is work of art about works of art.  The paper is specially blended and handled, there are probably multiple inks and coating. 450 pages with a binding that will last and a specially designed cover that appears to be embossed... all of these things add up to the cost of a book.  It is not priced to be a pedestrian magazine, it's designed, built and priced to be a collector's item that will be timeless.

If you don't understand that, then you don't understand Apple.  They don't design things to be cheap and thrown away. They design things to last... to be functional works of art. This book is not only a testament to that, but the very embodiment of that underlying mantra.
    I agree with you about the quality of the book perhaps justifying the price. But I think the real question is why did they create the book in the first place?

If the book is a testament to anything, it's a testament to Apple's hubris.
    edited November 2016 mac_128entropys
  • Reply 23 of 73
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    wiggin said:
    jkichline said:
    People don't understand nor do they appreciate the art and design of a finely-crafted book.  This is not a run-of-the-mill, paperback on cheap paper and crap, generic blank ink.  This is work of art about works of art.  The paper is specially blended and handled, there are probably multiple inks and coating. 450 pages with a binding that will last and a specially designed cover that appears to be embossed... all of these things add up to the cost of a book.  It is not priced to be a pedestrian magazine, it's designed, built and priced to be a collector's item that will be timeless.

If you don't understand that, then you don't understand Apple.  They don't design things to be cheap and thrown away. They design things to last... to be functional works of art. This book is not only a testament to that, but the very embodiment of that underlying mantra.
    I agree with you about the quality of the book perhaps justifying the price. But I think they real question is why did they create the book in the first place?

If the book is a testament to anything, it's a testament to Apple's hubris.
    Apple has been celebrated for its design (not by them), it's a point of pride for them.
    Why not make a book about it. Man, can't believe the whining about EVERYTHING Apple these days.

Solimr opscooter63baconstangwetlander
  • Reply 24 of 73
    blastdoor said:
    foggyhill said:

Most people .talking about this have no clue and are not the target audience for this.

The Mac Pro is too niche to bother updating, but the opportunities in the coffee table book industry are worth pursuing? 

The issue here is that this book is a giant waste of time for any Apple employee with any meaningful responsibility for anything (like, for example, Jony Ive). It's vanity, it's navel gazing, it's a distraction. It's not something that a person focused on changing the world would do. It's something to do at the end of a career, or it's something to outsource. 

If this is how Ive wants to spend his time these days he should really just retire, or maybe become an advisor. Let someone else step into the role of lead designer. 
    Well put, people are so quick to refer to the state of things as they were as if the present is rosy and enjoy bringing up the faults of the low class who usually criticize copy or hate Apple and justify anything Apple does which isn't the question. I love the book idea it's great, but now ? Really amidst everything ? Anything Apple does is godly if compered to every other vendor, but Apple isn't measured against MS or Sammy its measured against Apple, people using Apple have been doing so for years so each new iteration is mesured against the previous vesion and never in those years has there ever been questions about who by fare makes the best, cares the most, and is at the very cutting edge of technology, that was always a previlladge Apple fans held with out question and for that Apple enjoyed the most loyal fan base of any company in history and gaine untold riches, jony is just a man and Apple is many such man and no matter how in denial we may all myself included no one is good forevere no ability of creativity of any man is inexhaustible.
    mac_128
  • Reply 25 of 73
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    jkichline said:

What you say is true, but there are plenty of beautiful art books published by museums and the like that retail for $60 to $125.   It's not like there is any tipped-in artwork in the Apple book.   And then there are the Tufte beautiful data design books, which required such complex printing that he published them himself because traditional publishers refused to take on the expensive work.  The most expensive one is selling on Amazon these days for $52.   They're smaller than the Apple book, but not 1/6th the size.  Embossing?  Hell, there are mass market paperbacks that have embossed or de-bossed covers.  My high-school yearbook had a de-bossed cover and that was in the late 60's!  

I do disagree with you about one other thing: that Apple makes products designed to last.   I think Apple used to do that and Apple products have the capability of lasting a long time (I'm typing this on a late-2008 MBP that still works for everything except frame-accurate video editing and also still looks almost brand new, although it won't accept the new OS), but their current designs, which don't allow the user to replace the battery or upgrade memory or storage does quite the opposite: it potentially makes the machines obsolete in just a few years.   Go to an electronics recycling fair one day and you'll see tons of Macs being tossed. 

And the expectation that you'll upgrade the phone every year or every other year also signifies that Apple is not really interested in designing products that last.   
    baconstangduervomac_128entropys
  • Reply 26 of 73
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    zoetmb said:
    And the expectation that you'll upgrade the phone every year or every other year also signifies that Apple is not really interested in designing products that last.   
    Why does my desire to get the latest iPhone mean that Apple isn't designing their iPhone well? 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 27 of 73
    Oh look, Colbert is still trying to be relevant.

It's failing. 
    Uh-oh, the Alt-Right is here. 
    Solicrowleybaconstangduervoboredumbhmm
  • Reply 28 of 73
    Apple has so much to do to stay ahead of the pack. It does seem a little odd that they have enough spare time on their hands for something this purely self-indulgent. 
    blastdoorholyoneduervoentropysavon b7
  • Reply 29 of 73
    Funny all the posts here talking about textbooks; show age demo for comment boards, I guess.
    Walk into any art book store and look at price of any comparable book.
    Heck, just go on Amazon; some are thousands and thousands of dollars.
    baconstang
  • Reply 30 of 73
    Hey, the sketch was comedy, not documentary. It was funny (well I thought it was) but it says nothing about the book, good or bad.
    baconstangduervopscooter63avon b7
  • Reply 31 of 73
    Outrage at cost of Apple "book," not a peep about cost of college textbooks.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Apple has so much to do to stay ahead of the pack. It does seem a little odd that they have enough spare time on their hands for something this purely self-indulgent. 
    How much time do this take? How much time on average for al the employees involved? Why assume that the employees spending the bulk amount of the time are shirking some other duty? If Apple has done a massive number of people for their continued growth in their marbelting department, maybe their workload was too light before the move into Campus 2, so this project was a way to both bond and evaluate the new group. It doesn't do us any good to associate this book with some OS bug or delay in MBP shipments because the chance of those things being connected is unlikely.
    baconstang
  • Reply 33 of 73
    williamh said:
    Nobody saw this coming,right?

Yep. They do this all the time. 
  • Reply 34 of 73
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Apple's photographers are also their hardware engineers, so this book is obviously responsible for the delays in the xMac.
    Solijibberjbaconstangtallest skil
  • Reply 35 of 73

blastdoor said:
    foggyhill said:

No, they just made a book. Most Industry Creative books cost what Apple is charging. 

Apple has many employees, and plenty of resources. Creating a book is literally NOTHING in the grand scheme of their business, and has absolutely no impact on the rest of their business. 

But exaggeration, distortion, and irrationality is the order of the day for Apple trolls, so...      Lol, really. 

You won't find a better designed phone, with a better ecosystem on the market. 

You won't find a better designed laptop, with a better ecosystem, on the market. 

You won't find anything better designed and better supported from cradle to grave in nearly every area in which Apple competes. 

The numbers all bear this out. The annual consumer satisfaction metrics bear this out. Apple's sheer brand power and cachet (supported by what stands behind it) bears this out, irrespective of whether some folks happen to personally prefer one iteration of a product over another. 

Been this way for years and years now. 

They have every right to showcase the remarkable ways in which they changed the industry over the years and how they currently set the standard. A gorgeous, well-made book seems like the perfect way. 
    edited November 2016 jibberjbaconstangpscooter63
  • Reply 36 of 73
    mr o said:
    IKEA did a much better parody, two years ago. Presenting bookbook:

>:x

cali said:
    I think this is the one of the best Apple products to be released this year.

It's a reminder to everyone of who invented technology and a slap to the face to all the copycats. I love it! 

dysamoria said:
    Seriously? A $200/$300 book? WTAF. 
     You didn't go to college did you? 

I was honestly hoping that that would be a lot funnier than it was. The "fake product reveal" videos are so old and cliche that it was actually painful to watch. 

Back to the drawing board! The embarrassing thing is that even Apple is better at making fun of itself. Remember that one keynote where they had all of those skits that had every Apple fan in stitches? Or how they began WWDC 15. FAVORITE. 

It wasn't that funny. My favorite book technology video is this one: 

Medieval helpdesk

+1 to both of you! Much better than Colbert
    mr o
  • Reply 37 of 73
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    dysamoria said:
    Seriously? A $200/$300 book? WTAF. 
    https://www.taschen.com/

foregoneconclusionSolijibberjbaconstang
  • Reply 38 of 73
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member

blastdoor said:
    foggyhill said:

No, they just made a book. Most Industry Creative books cost what Apple is charging. 

Apple has many employees, and plenty of resources. Creating a book is literally NOTHING in the grand scheme of their business, and has absolutely no impact on the rest of they business. 

But exaggeration, distortion, and irrationality is the order of the day for Apple trolls, so...      Lol, really. 

You won't find a better designed phone, with a better ecosystem on the market. 

You won't find a better designed laptop, with a better ecosystem, on the market. 

You won't find anything better designed and better supported from cradle to grave in nearly every area in which Apple competes. 

The numbers all bear this out. The annual consumer satisfaction metrics bear this out. Apple's sheer brand power and cachet (supported by what stands behind it) bears this out, irrespective of whether some folks happen to personally prefer one iteration of a product over another. 

Been this way for years and years now. 
    There are a lot of small things that are literally nothing compared to everything else Apple does. For example -- the Mac Pro. 

So why doesn't Apple just go and do all of those small things? 

The answer used to be "focus" -- the ability to say "no". 

entropys
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Beautiful, well made books, with perfect typography, COST. 

The current generation might not quite understand that, but a special, first, or limited edition can be eye-wateringly expensive. 

These aren't e-books, guys. They are products of careful craftsmanship. 
    edited November 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 40 of 73
    jkichline said:
    They don't design things to be cheap and thrown away. They design things to last... to be functional works of art.

I fear they do too well. I have 2006 iMac, and latest iOS has broken ability to sync phone.

I try not to bleat about it cuz such change is not only inevitable, but it's borderline miraculous to have been able to accomplish such tasks for this long. However, it's always a disappointment for software improvements to hobble hardware that lasts nearly forever.

I will, however, bleat about my fancypants Harmon Kardon subwoofer that I procured in late 2000 and got to use for a whopping year or so before Mapple disabled its functionality. (No Soundsticks, just woofer.) It resides under my desk, awaiting a possible resuscitation.

Technology! Whiskey! Sexxxy!