Apple's Ive and Newson unveil unadorned fir trees for Claridge's Christmas installation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    jkichline said:
    Wow. Bunch of non-designers and armchair art critics peer upon a single, poor photograph of a lighting installation and pan it as rubbish.  Some art and design needs to be experienced and is not easily captured by a photo on a webpage.  I think the same thing goes for other designs and products of Ive.  Stop judging things by the simple and myopic view your web browser gives you into the world.
    First off, I AM a designer. Not sure about the other member. And there are plenty of other photos to see. None of which help your cause. 

Stop creating strawman arguments to burn down. It's not a good look. 
    aknabisirlance99dysamoriaavon b7tallest skilwetlanderduervologic2.6
  • Reply 22 of 61
    Donvermo said:
    That just looks boring and uninspired.  Christmas is a season of celebration and joy (and this is explicitly called the Claridge CHRISTMAS tree installation).  

There is nothing about that setup that makes me feel joyful.  Complete fail by Ive.  Ive is usually really good about tying function and design, but this just looks like some shallow attempt to produce something "chic."
    In a huge fan of Ive's work and have been for a long time. 

But it I agree here. 

Great design relates to the purpose. This does not. 

Does it it look nice? Sure. 

But it it's almost spooky. Not celebratory. 

Actually I have to disagree, the set seems like it is meant to instil a sense of serenity. The true meaning of Christmas is not about gold, glitter and presents, it's about celebrating the birth of Jesus and to reflect for a moment on the sanctity of life. If anything this set seems to capture this feeling way more than any other over the top treasure trove of presents I have seen throughout the years. If this set is supposed to communicate what this holiday is really about, Ive is spot on here.
    I personally celebrate the birth of Jesus as the "reason for the season." But God coming in human flesh to make grace available to all is more a reason to celebrate than anything. Good Friday would be more cause for s serene setting. 

This is just looks like a dark, spooky forest in most pictures and just uninspired in others. 

To to be fair, it was just a side gig. Not something he would have time to invest his heart and soul into. But a fun diversion no doubt. Most people have no idea how much work is involved in design. It's shocking how much Ive is able to do year after year. 

Hes amazing. But this isn't reflective of his talent. 
    Donvermotnet-primarywetlanderduervo
  • Reply 23 of 61
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Did no one check out the other images? It definitely creates a magical space. If you think that Christmas is about multi-colored flashing lights and plastic statues of Santa Claus and reindeer then you're missing the point.
    irelandration al
  • Reply 24 of 61
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    It is pretty much in line with the Apple store concept: living indoor trees creating an awesome zen like atmosphere. The logs underneath the trees are a nice touch because Xmas is about gatherings, not so much about superficial decorations. The fake snow covering the logs are a bit unfortunate though, unless they are seating pads? I can't tell from the pictures.

>:x 
    ration aldoozydozen
  • Reply 25 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mr o said:
    It is pretty much in line with the Apple store concept: living indoor trees creating an awesome zen like atmosphere. The logs underneath the trees are a nice touch because Xmas is about gatherings, not so much about superficial decorations. The fake snow covering the logs are a bit unfortunate though, unless they are seating pads? I can't tell from the pictures.

>:x 
     They do look to be for sitting on. 

• Reply 26 of 61
    Donvermo said:
    That just looks boring and uninspired.  Christmas is a season of celebration and joy (and this is explicitly called the Claridge CHRISTMAS tree installation).  

There is nothing about that setup that makes me feel joyful.  Complete fail by Ive.  Ive is usually really good about tying function and design, but this just looks like some shallow attempt to produce something "chic."

But it I agree here. 

Actually I have to disagree, the set seems like it is meant to instil a sense of serenity. The true meaning of Christmas is not about gold, glitter and presents, it's about celebrating the birth of Jesus and to reflect for a moment on the sanctity of life. If anything this set seems to capture this feeling way more than any other over the top treasure trove of presents I have seen throughout the years. If this set is supposed to communicate what this holiday is really about, Ive is spot on here.
    I personally celebrate the birth of Jesus as the "reason for the season." But God coming in human flesh to make grace available to all is more a reason to celebrate than anything. Good Friday would be more cause for s serene setting. 

This is just looks like a dark, spooky forest in most pictures and just uninspired in others. 

To to be fair, it was just a side gig. Not something he would have time to invest his heart and soul into. But a fun diversion no doubt. Most people have no idea how much work is involved in design. It's shocking how much Ive is able to do year after year. 

Hes amazing. But this isn't reflective of his talent. 
    Well said.  My criticism isn't full of anger and hatred. It's simply a commentary/opinion that this is not his best work.

Don't we live in a society of diverse thinking and he open sharing of ideas without name calling?  No?  HELP!!!!!  I NEED A SAFE SPACE!  I NEED A SAFE SPACE!!  
    tallest skilDonvermoduervo
  • Reply 27 of 61
    "Every year the swanky hotel commissions a world-renowned designer to reimagine the festive arboreal symbol in their own style."

This year, the "festive arboreal symbol" was that small pine tree in the spotlight that didn't get chopped down for the brief amusement of people gorged on maternal wealth. In modern society it has become almost radical to appreciate the natural and unadorned.
    edited November 2016 perkedeldysamoria
  • Reply 28 of 61
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member

It's cold and desolate.  

I cant say the tree stumps add any warmth.

Santa will be pissed.

Schnapps?
    wetlander
  • Reply 29 of 61
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Soli said:
    If you think that Christmas is about multi-colored flashing lights and plastic statues of Santa Claus and reindeer then you're missing the point.
    Well if the point of Christmas on the 25th of December with a fir tree symbol is for the celebration of the birth of Christ you have been deceived along with pretty much the entirty of Christian believers. According to the New Testament (Luke) the shepherds were in the fields tending their flocks during the night at the time of his birth which would have been sometime between March and November because the flocks would be in the barn during the winter months in that region. The pagen winter solstice festival was renamed Christmas by a Roman emperor around 300 AD... so flashing lights and Santa Claus are just fine for that day because it has nothing to do with the birth of Christ.
    edited November 2016 sirlance99dysamoriarob53williamlondonwetlanderduervo
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Donvermo said:

But it I agree here. 

Only if you believe in fairy tales. For me and others it's all about the lights, sliver/gold, and all that jazz. 
    dysamoriawilliamlondonduervo
  • Reply 31 of 61

Your inability to feel joy is on you. Maybe the ghosts of Christmas past can help you out. The rest of us might find it the selfless audacity of designers proposing we find it in nothing more than a baby tree bathed in angelic light. 
    pscooter63wetlander
  • Reply 32 of 61
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    iForest?
    wetlanderlamboaudi4
  • Reply 33 of 61
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,305member
    dbolander said:
    Glad to see Jony expressing himself more publicly in other spaces outside of Apple.

Without his creative partner in tech, Steve—it's clear that Apple is not enough to fulfill his discipline anymore.
    I wonder what it would be like if the CDO of Apple was actually excited about his day job. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Opinions are offered by fools like me
    But only Jony could untrim a tree

logic2.6
  • Reply 35 of 61
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    jkichline said:
    Wow. Bunch of non-designers and armchair art critics peer upon a single, poor photograph of a lighting installation and pan it as rubbish.  Some art and design needs to be experienced and is not easily captured by a photo on a webpage.  I think the same thing goes for other designs and products of Ive.  Stop judging things by the simple and myopic view your web browser gives you into the world.
    First off, I AM a designer. Not sure about the other member. And there are plenty of other photos to see. None of which help your cause. 

Stop creating strawman arguments to burn down. It's not a good look. 
    Judging the aesthetics of a light installation by looking at individual photos is like judging a song by listening to individual chords.
    williamlondonpscooter63
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Donvermo said:

But it I agree here. 

Only if you believe in fairy tales. For me and others it's all about the lights, sliver/gold, and all that jazz. 
    Lol. How do you know it's a fairy tale?  You never know. It could all be true. :)
  • Reply 37 of 61

Your inability to feel joy is on you. Maybe the ghosts of Christmas past can help you out. The rest of us might find it the selfless audacity of designers proposing we find it in nothing more than a baby tree bathed in angelic light. 
    Lol. Fair enough.  And major props to you for the phrase "selfless audacity of designers."   Very well done.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Xmas is uninspiring to me in all cases. It's a corporate orgy, overlaid on top of a cult's takeover of another cult's holiday that was meant to celebrate the solstice. I'm not sure which holiday is more grotesque: xmas or thanksgiving (National Shame Day II... with Columbus Day being National Shame Day I). I don't see how anyone could really make the season tasteful to me as an educated and conscientious adult that puts a priority on reality, nature, and sustainability (instead of fantastical legends and consumer gluttony/corporate force-feeding).

This cold blue starkness fits the snowy season well enough. I prefer it over xmas clichés, color vomit, and blinking lights. However, it's still a mockery of nature to cut down a tree for no reason other than the self-indulgence of decorating for a cult/consumerist holiday. Surrounding it with fake trees and fake snow is just as tasteless as other tacky xmas display.

Talking about form over function here is ludicrous. What's the "function" of destroying trees and manufacturing plastic garbage (future litter) for decorative "nature objects"?

The more celebrity design announcements that pop up around Jony Ive, the more I see nothing but a caricature of the 1% and of haughty designer stereotypes. He's been contributing to Apple's cringeworthier-by-the-event PR wanking, and presenting bad design (both industrial and software) & poor taste since at least 2013. I'm not impressed with this xmas celebrity showcase of minimalism either. Why is everyone still pretending to be inspired by amateur craft? Austerity and minimalism is a fad that has allowed Ive's obsession with minimalism to grow to a pathological degree. That, and his Apple work since 2013, should not make him a celebrity.
    sirlance99
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Wish they would put as much time and effort at Apple as they did here. WE MISS YOU, STEVE!!!
    tnet-primary
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Soli said:
    Did no one check out the other images? It definitely creates a magical space. If you think that Christmas is about multi-colored flashing lights and plastic statues of Santa Claus and reindeer then you're missing the point.
    Agree. I am a retired theatre set designer and I find much to appreciate. Whether you are Christian or not, the Christmas symbolic message and its pagan antecedents are harbingers of hope in a period of darkness. A small tree, warmly lit, overshadowed by a cold dark forest, is apt. Especially in these times. 
    pscooter63duervolamboaudi4