Quick take video review: LG's UltraFine 4K Display

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    AppleInsider has really done a disservice with this video. Contrary to what the video says, the LG UltraFine 4K is not a Thunderbolt display. It uses USB instead. The LG UltraFine 4K also works with the 2015 and 2016 MacBooks that lack Thunderbolt. Read the product page for the details.
  • Reply 22 of 23

command_f said:
    db1 said:
    jonyo said:
    grizzly said:
    Why do they always gimp the "lower end" models? It's so frustrating. The 4K would be amazing if it had the feature set of the 5K. At a minimum, the 4K being limited to USB 2.0 speeds is inexcusable to me and is honestly what's stopping me from purchasing it. 
    That's weird. The 4K model only doing USB 2 speeds while the 5K model does USB 3.1 speeds on the USC-C ports seems really arbitrary and dumb. I have trouble believing that bumping the 4K model to the same internal USB port circuitry as the 5K model would add much to the cost of production, so it seems more like a purposeful gimping to steer you toward the more expensive 5K model. Not loving that.
    Or maybe because this is NOT a Thunderbolt 3 display, it's a DisplayPort over USB-C display, and once you plumb up the 4K display, all you have left over on the cable is USB 2.0. The 5K has Thunderbolt 3 bandwidth, so more bandwidth available for camera, microphone, USB 3...
    That's a useful clarification, thanks.

I don't think Apple has done itself any favours by describing these ports as Thunderbolt 3. I'm open to correction but I believe they're USB-C ports, capable of providing Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 or Displayport depending on the cable/peripheral used. The standard also includes concurrent either-direction power and USB 2 (useful article here). When we've all (including me) got over the dongle issue and the market has produced a few more devices, we're going to see how forward-looking a decision it was to go with four of them rather than a predetermined mix of dedicated ports.
    Apple has not described these ports as Thunderbolt 3 (because they are not). Apple calls the ports "USB-C". It's AppleInsider that's incorrect here.
    Soli