All 2017 iPhones expected to feature wireless charging and glass casing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    You can use the phone while charging with a (long) cable.  You can't while charging with a (wired) "wireless" charger.  If we can get truly wireless charging, I'm in.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Fatman said:
    Wow - Now if they make the glass unbreakable, and screen resolution 1080, it could possibly be the perfect phone.
    In my own personal opinion I hope they won't ship a phone with 1080p resolution. The processing power would decrease because it needs to drive more pixels without seeing a difference in sharpness since the pixels are already invisible. I prefer processing power instead of increased resolution you won't see anyway.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 42
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Fatman said:
    Wow - Now if they make the glass unbreakable, and screen resolution 1080, it could possibly be the perfect phone.
    What on earth would the value of increasing the screen resolution be? As far as perfect phone - I am not so sure. Perfection is relative. Besides, wireless charging is great but a perfect phone would have to be 'self charging' with a photovoltaic layer front and back.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I predict the wireless charging transmitter will be sold separately 
  • Reply 25 of 42
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    spice-boy said:
    Can some one please tell me what the benefit of wireless charging is? I've seen those Samsung ads and there appears to be a small platform thing which does the charging if so how is that an improvement over a small cable and outlet plug?

It is a small thing but pretty nice.  I'll admin I was skeptical as you seem to be, but I appreciate better having used it.  I have an Apple Watch and it really is nice just setting it down on the little charger.  Not life changing, but a good feature. I'd like it on the phone. 
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Fatman said:
    In my own personal opinion I hope they won't ship a phone with 1080p resolution. The processing power would decrease because it needs to drive more pixels without seeing a difference in sharpness since the pixels are already invisible. I prefer processing power instead of increased resolution you won't see anyway.
    You guys do know that the 7 plus has a screen resolution of 1920X1080 already...right?  So why would we want that in a perfect phone when it already exists?
    randominternetpersonpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Will it have a USB-C to Lightning or USB-A to Lightning? Will it even have a Lightning connector, maybe only a USB-C.
    Donglegate!

If it's wireless charging, the next logical step would be no socket at all.  Want to sync?  WiFi and Bluetooth.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    ireland said:
    Will it have a USB-C to Lightning or USB-A to Lightning? Will it even have a Lightning connector, maybe only a USB-C.
    Donglegate!
    It will have a Lightning port, most likely. It'd be great to see Apple coalesce behind USBc, but that will sadly not happen.

I just wish that USB-C used the Lightning connector.  It's got to be the best plug and socket design around.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 42
    mike1 said:
    So wireless charging is a good thing now?
    Not in my case. Not being able to charge while using the phone at my desk is not practical for me.
    This is the kind of wireless charging that you CAN use at your desk, or while walking around the room. Kind of sci-fi, right? You should read what they're doing.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Why glass all around? What is the benefit of this other than aesthetics.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    williamh said:
    Apple should get rid of the volume controls and the other button and switch.  People don't need that. 
    Yes, because you know what everyone wants because I'm sure you performed extensive research.  

I use the volume controls and mute switch constantly.  
  • Reply 32 of 42
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

mike1 said:
    hittrj01 said:
    spice-boy said:
    Can some one please tell me what the benefit of wireless charging is? I've seen those Samsung ads and there appears to be a small platform thing which does the charging if so how is that an improvement over a small cable and outlet plug?
    It comes down to ease of use and device integrity, really. If implemented properly, wireless charging is dead simple. Lay it down, magnets automatically align, and charging immediately starts. Even easier than a dual sided cable like Lightning or USB-C because there is no plugging anything in. That also ties into the second advantage, which comes down to wear and tear. Using the lightning port less because you aren't constantly plugging and unplugging a charging cable will make that port last much much longer, and will theoretically increase the lifespan of the entire device.
    Except that constant micro-charging is bad for the lifespan of the battery. Has anybody ever had a Lightning connector fail in the 1-3 years they've owned a phone? I guess the user just needs to pick their poison.
    Yes, the Lightning jack on two of my phones failed.  First they only worked if the cable was plugged in one way and then they failed completely.   I tried going the iFixit route, but when I was finished, the phone kept rebooting on its own.   That was one of my concerns about the new iPhone which eliminated the 1/8" audio jack.  It greatly increases the number of insertions on the Lightning jack.   (Haven't bought it - think I'll keep my iPhone 6 another year.)

I never thought wireless charging was all that big a deal (how hard is it to insert the cable?), but if it saves the jack, that's certainly beneficial.   Although in two years, I could see Apple deciding to eliminate the Lightning jack entirely, believing that people will both charge and use earphones wirelessly.  That would be bad, IMO.   
  • Reply 33 of 42
    zoetmb said:
    williamh said:
    Apple should get rid of the volume controls and the other button and switch.  People don't need that. 
    Yes, because you know what everyone wants because I'm sure you performed extensive research.  

I think williamh was kidding.
    williamh
  • Reply 34 of 42
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    This is the kind of wireless charging that you CAN use at your desk, or while walking around the room. Kind of sci-fi, right? You should read what they're doing.
    No it isn't.  The inverse square law for power dissipation of EM energy is a pretty hard barrier to get around.  Focusing the energy (with an antenna) helps of course, but then the device needs to be fixed in place or within a small area.  At the best you could possibly get a trickle charge of energy within a very short space.  Very energy inefficient however.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    zoetmb said:
    williamh said:

Constantly?  Volume controls and mute switches are 19th century technology and they take space that Apple needs for camera lenses or more speakers.  No research is needed for this. You think you understand Apple? Ford said* that if he had asked his customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse.  People just don't know that they don't want those things, and you are a perfect example of that.

* Apparently the Ford saying is apocryphal but Steve said that Ford said it so does represent Steve thinking.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 36 of 42
    evilution said:
    "Wireless charging cable".

err, what?
    How many things are completely 'wireless'? 
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Man, cannot wait until the iPhone 8, it's gonna be a monster!  Here's hoping we get a first glimpse of Apple's VR/AR.
  • Reply 38 of 42

I cannot even express the depth of my apathy for wireless charging. :)

It uses more energy (irrespective of whether broadcast or induction), and is less convenient.  I currently have three relatively inexpensive cables, on at home, one at work, and one in the car, that let me have no fuss charging pretty much wherever I go.  Will the charger for a wireless system offer the same low cost convenience?  Not for a while.  Quite a while, I imagine.

• Reply 39 of 42
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Apple is lost
  • Reply 40 of 42
    If this goes right. Samsung is doomed.