Thoughts from a former PC owner, on Apple, and my new iBook...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Skipjack:

<strong> think ctrl-alt-del (WIN) is more like ctrl-apple-power (MAC): force quit an application

opt-apple-escape (MAC) is more like ctrl-esc (WIN): restart the computer

</strong><hr></blockquote>

um... no. opt-apple-esc will force quit.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Dallenb, I thought you might find the following links useful:

? <a href="http://faq.arstechnica.com/?i=522&PHPSESSID=6bca04262c2f47e5b0b0a8fc7d360390"; target="_blank">OS X Shareware</a>

? <a href="http://faq.arstechnica.com/?i=253&PHPSESSID=6bca04262c2f47e5b0b0a8fc7d360390"; target="_blank">Essential Mac Links</a>
  • Reply 23 of 30
    ignore the cracks about the "dark" side...

apple is equally guilty of screwing its users

as m$

now for the ibook.....

1.cpu/ram/os ver ?

im running a ti800 (10.2.1)& hasnt crashed once

except from getting hot as hell

clean install 10.2 & update to 10.2.1

you may have a bad ram chip if you getting too many kernel panics

if you are using this for lightwork it will do fine ..if coding heavily get a g4 ...the ibook

is slow nevermind what people say

the filesystem is crappy..live with it until

we get a real jfs. luckily the unix layout is intact & apple simply hides it in the finder,

as mentioned elsewhere to remove an app trash it...yep it will leave plist files floating around.,,some apps to offer an uninstall option

when you run the orignal installer...again something apple needs to fix/look into

the finder....equivalent to fileman in win3.0

dont expect explorer here its not even close

& has quite a few warts but it works except for

refreshing correctly ..again something apple needs

to fix or throw out.

the dock....some like it some hate it..again dont

compare it to the task bar because its not even close

alt+tab = cmd + tab in osx

alt key modifiers... unfortunately this is

a weak area...you can enable keyboard nav but sometimes you are forced to use the mouse whether

u like it or not. use a regular 2btn scroll mouse

if the track pad drives you nuts its works fine.

the apple (cmd) key is used in all the cmds

cmd +c (ctrl c) cmd v (ctrl v).. again the level

of cua (keyboard access) is not at the same level

as win or os2 so simply grin & bear it.

last advice...make sure you have plenty of ram

512mb min & the fs is hfs+ & not ufs

if u are comfy with unix then the good news is

the unix core is rock solid & terminal is all

you need along with vi & gcc..

on the app side office x is the same as on the win32 side & works well...

also after deleting an app it still persists

in prefs then delete your ~/Library/Cache

that should cover it...im still learning myself

but other posts on here have some good advice...

enjoy
  • Reply 24 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by crawlingparanoia:

<strong>

um... no. opt-apple-esc will force quit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

mr. crawlingparanoia is correct. I reversed my function labels. I'll go back and correct them.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    check this link

<a href="http://www.macdevcenter.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.macdevcenter.com/</a>;

good info
  • Reply 26 of 30
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    [quote]There's already stuff in Mac Help for those users (with exception to unix/linux users)<hr></blockquote>

UNIX/Linux users wouldn't feel at home if learning a new OS was easy .

ctrl-alt-delete bring up the task manager before restarting the PC. You could use a terminal and send kill signals to the misbehaving app.s but that's a bit fiddly. (type "man kill" and "man top" in a terminal).
  • Reply 27 of 30
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]<strong>

the filesystem is crappy..live with it until

we get a real jfs. luckily the unix layout is intact & apple simply hides it in the finder,

What's wrong with the file system? It's not perfect, but it's much better than what's in windows. It's got support for metadata and what people bemoan is the fact that it's ADDED the UNIX part - the extensions - that make it so un-Maclike. Also, I think dallen's beef was with the structure of the system, which just takes some time to learn.

[quote]<strong>

as mentioned elsewhere to remove an app trash it...yep it will leave plist files floating around.,,some apps to offer an uninstall option

when you run the orignal installer...again something apple needs to fix/look into

WHAT!?!? Are you kidding me? An application is gone when you delete it. It's that simple. There are no .dll's lying here and there to worry about. There is no need for an uninstaller for most apps. The .plist file is about 4k big and it's just some text that holds some of your preferences. If it bothers you that much, delete it. But it does nothing to screw up your system at all. And, if you're messing around a lot with various programs, you may actually like that if you change your mind about deleting one your preferences are still there.

This, btw, is one of the best things about macs, IMHO. No Add/Remove programs to worry about.

[quote]<strong>

the finder....equivalent to fileman in win3.0

dont expect explorer here its not even close

& has quite a few warts but it works except for

refreshing correctly ..again something apple needs

to fix or throw out.

The finder is the equivalent of file manager? Are you insane? What functionality are you looking for in the finder that windows explorer has? It's different, that's for sure, but it's actually head and shoulders above windows. The navigation system takes some time to get used to but once you learn, you're set. Here's a quick tutorial.

The hardest thing a new user needs to learn is that apps don't quit if you close all the windows. So, if you click on the desktop, you'll be switched to the finder. cmd+n will open a new window. This will be either your home directory or your drives, depending on your preferences. cmd+3 will switch you to column view and the layout will be much more clear here. You can also add shortcuts to the toolbar by going to view -&gt; customize toolbar (an option present in most applications). Oh, and did you know that you can preview movies and mp3's in a finder window? Pretty cool.

Here's a screen shot of a finder window that's had a few things added to the toolbar.

Here's the type of view that I use. Notice the folder information.

[quote]<strong>

the dock....some like it some hate it..again dont

compare it to the task bar because its not even close

alt+tab = cmd + tab in osx

Man, you are really on a roll with your post. The dock is controversial, but it's way better than the taskbar. Where do your minimized windows go in the taskbar? What's that? Nowhere? Hmm, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. How do you know what's what in the taskbar if you've got 10 applications running? Can't really tell, can you? The dock is a very useful source of information. You can see all running apps by their icon with a triangle, applications can give you information just by looking down at the icon and you know what window goes with what application. You can also control some applications by just clicking and holding (or ctrl+clicking; equivalent of a right click) on the icon. Try it with iTunes playing.

[quote]<strong>

alt key modifiers... unfortunately this is

a weak area...you can enable keyboard nav but sometimes you are forced to use the mouse whether

u like it or not. use a regular 2btn scroll mouse

if the track pad drives you nuts its works fine.

Yes, the system is harder to navigate than windows without a mouse. But you'll find that keyboard shortcuts are universal through apps. You know that cmd+w will close a window. cmd+opt+w will close all open windows of an app. cmd+q will quit an app entirely. cmd+d will tell a save dialogue not to save. cmd+c will copy. cmd+v will paste. cmd+m will minimize to the dock. cmd+h will hide the app. cmd+opt+h will hide all others (in most cases, this is a new system-wide command that's not yet implemented in some apps).

[quote]<strong>

on the app side office x is the same as on the win32 side & works well...

Wow, you got ONE thing right Except that the installer doesn't require 2 restarts while you're installing. Just drag and drop. BTW, by microsoft's own admission, office v.X is better than office XP.

[quote]<strong>

also after deleting an app it still persists

in prefs then delete your ~/Library/Cache

No, that's not right. It's in ~/Library/preferences. The ~/ means that it's your home directory. So if you click on the home icon in your finder toolbar, go to the library folder then down one to your preferences folder. But you don't need to worry about it because it does nothing to decrease stability. It's just a text file. If you don't believe me, open it up in textedit.

Sorry to rail into you like that, but you were pretty wrong on most accounts. It's fine if you're new, but spreading misinformation like that is unacceptable.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by nullptr:

<strong>You also might want to upgrade to 10.21 (Just released on Tuesday). Go to "System Preferences" under the Apple Menu and select "Software Update". I was having some problems waking from sleep on my G4 Cube and this seems to fix the problem.

Also David Pogue's book "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual" is a great book that will help bring you up to speed on OSX.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, I upgraded last night. The machine prompted that update, and an iTunes update. Hoping this fixes my freeze issues.

Will check out the book, thanks!
  • Reply 29 of 30
    &gt;What's wrong with the file system? It's not &gt;perfect, but it's much better than what's in &gt;windows

umm we would much better off with ufs. performance

wise its no match for any jfs or ntfs

im not bemoaning the unix part i am an unix

guy..prolly just picky

(i use resierfs & xfs & find them to be really good)

&gt;The finder is the equivalent of file manager? &gt;Are you insane? What functionality are you &gt;looking for in the finder that windows explorer ?&gt;has?

a treeview that works correctly.

clicking on a file shouldnt go into edit mode right away.maybe they can implement the folder/files view as another option apart from

the list & cols that already exist.

&gt;Man, you are really on a roll with your post. &gt;The dock is controversial, but it's way better &gt;than the taskbar.

nope its not...cmd tab navs thru the apps but the

window doesnt come to the foreground in all cases

& other annoyances...apple needs to rethink this

perhaps a modified dock.

&gt;Yes, the system is harder to navigate than &gt;windows without a mouse. But you'll find that &gt;keyboard shortcuts are universal through apps

ibm & ms set their os's around the cua spec

ctl+space ctl+f4 ctl+c ctl+v etc etc have worked

the same way since win2.0

&gt;No, that's not right. It's in &gt;~/Library/preferences

i stand corrected

&gt;Sorry to rail into you like that, but you were &gt;

&gt;pretty wrong on most accounts.

i think you need anger management classes

or simply rant here ~!~grin

nope not insane or a troll just blunt.

some mac users like many in the linux camp get abusive & defensive ...forgetting the fact

that if the users dont pick on the os then theres

no incentive for apple to improve & they will foist what they think is correct upon the users

m$ is equally guilty of this, the diff is pc people are more picky.

so if a person is interested in knowing more

& only hears glowing reports then they will be

disillusioned if they dont like the product.

by shouting down any dissent we simply do ourselves a great disservice in the end

thanks for listening.

cheers

pete
  • Reply 30 of 30
    My mac experience has been the total opposite

new Tibook last friday, not 1 crash (and it I do put it to slep and wake it up a heck of a lot) its fast and the useability is amazing I mean drag and drop install/uninstall apps.

The real reason you were fidning it so hard is because windows makes you believe things cant be that easy.

The 1 problem I had was figuring out how to burn a pc readable CD but that was down to my own stupidity haha I didnt realise that if I just burned it as usual it would read perfectly on my pc which it did so I was really pleased, yet againI didnt expect it to be so simple