15-inch MacBook Pro mystery connector connects to special apparatus for emergency data transfer

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    Soli said:
    rob53 said:
    I'm wondering how easy it will be for the FBI to get the necessary components to do their own cloning of "terrorist" computers. Time to make sure Apple provides unbreakable encryption on the new Touch ID MacBook Pros. 
    Just never use your fingerprint to unlock anything, ever.
    Why not when Touch ID is designed for convenience as your password is still used for primary authentication?
    Because no individual or company truly concerned about security would allow their devices to be accessible by fingerprint, versus a long password. For the casual user who keeps absolutely nothing of value on their devices or in the cloud, it may be of no consequence.

• Reply 42 of 43
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Soli said:
    rob53 said:
    I'm wondering how easy it will be for the FBI to get the necessary components to do their own cloning of "terrorist" computers. Time to make sure Apple provides unbreakable encryption on the new Touch ID MacBook Pros. 
    Why not when Touch ID is designed for convenience as your password is still used for primary authentication?
    Because no individual or company truly concerned about security would allow their devices to be accessible by fingerprint, versus a long password. For the casual user who keeps absolutely nothing of value on their devices or in the cloud, it may be of no consequence.

Obligatory XKCD

https://xkcd.com/538/
    hmmSolitallest skil
  • Reply 43 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    rob53 said:

I consider myself "truly concerned about security" and yet I use 1Password on my iPhone with Touch ID. I have what most would consider an unreasonable long and complex password (one of the very few I have to remember) and then I use Touch ID on my iPhone to access the app at other times before a restart or timeframe occurs. This is brilliant in Safari where I can simply tap the poorly named Share button, which brings up the 1Password icon (I used the More button to add and place it as the first option like in the screenshot, below), and tap the icon which calls the app that defaults to the logins that match the website I'm on.

I can't wait to do the same with my Mac instead of having it unlocked when clicking the Extension icon in my Safari browser after having inputted the master password after a restart or login.

edited November 2016 macxpress