Advice for buying a PowerMac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    [quote]Originally posted by superfula:

<strong>If you are looking at getting a ddr dual gig, you'd be better off getting a quicksilver dual gig. There is no speed difference at all. You'd be saving quite a bit of money. Ram for the quicksilvers is almost half as cheap as the ddr.

The new ddr machines are the worst buy out there. Much more expensive than quicksilvers with the same performance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I second this sentiment. Normally, the premium paid for the very latest hardware will future proof your investment. However, the DDR machines don't really offer much more performance yet cost more to purchase _and_ upgrade.

You would be much better off purchasing the dual gig quicksilver and then using the saved money on more memory and other goodies. For photoshop and quark work, you can easily use more than a gig of RAM. With the money you save, you'll be able to max it out to 2gigs of ram and still have some money left over for additional HD space.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by Altivec_2.0:

<strong>I have all Mac's at home. We have 3000 to spend on just the computer and maybe some computer add-ons. Pretty sure I'll be doing all the installing of software. No one else really knows how. I'll proably be the only one using too. .mac is a good suggestion. 100MB iDisk would be perfect to transfer templates .etc to my home computer. Anyone have any other suggestions of possible add-on's?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You said this is for a college? Don't get .Mac if your school has a high speed conection that this computer will be conected to.

You could set up a small(and secure) ftp, web, or even smb server that you could use to transfer files. You don't need to pay $100 for that.