Kwikset debuts Kevo Convert smartlock, Canary brings security cam footage to iPad & Apple TV

Posted:
in General Discussion
Kwikset this week announced a new smartlock, the Kevo Convert, while security camera maker Canary brought its software to the iPad and the Apple TV.

The Kevo Convert notably attaches onto existing deadbolts from the interior of a house or apartment, making it an option for renters as well as homeowners. For friends and other guests who need to get in, "eKeys" can be sent through the Kevo app for iPhone and Android.

Another feature is auto-lock, which if toggled on will automatically secure a door 30 seconds after it's unlocked.

People using a phone to control the Convert are normally limited to Bluetooth range. A Kevo Plus upgrade -- costing $99.99 -- is required for remote access.

The accessory doesn't support Apple's HomeKit platform, but it does integrate with a variety of other devices, including Android Wear watches, Nest and Honeywell thermostats, and video doorbells by Ring and SkyBell.

The Convert can be preordered for $149 from the Kwikset website or Home Depot.

Canary

On the Apple TV, Canary and Canary Flex owners are presented with dashboard letting users switch between live and recorded feeds, or select a specific camera if they have more than one installed. Incidents with detected movement are grouped into "events," and can be replayed and bookmarked.

The company's free iOS app should be updated with iPad support later today. On top of monitoring and recording, the app sends push notifications for suspicious movement, and can be used to track indoor air quality and temperature, call local emergency services, or even sound a 90-decibel siren.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4

Why is the security camera facing into the house rather than out?

Anyone have any experience with, or knowledge of, a related product called Ring (https://ring.com/).  At $200 is seems somewhat compelling.  My wife asked me to get it (it was probably featured on the Today Show or something), so I figured I could ask around.

• Reply 2 of 4
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member

Anyone have any experience with, or knowledge of, a related product called Ring (https://ring.com/).  At $200 is seems somewhat compelling.  My wife asked me to get it (it was probably featured on the Today Show or something), so I figured I could ask around.

I think you are mixing the two different products. The lock doesn't have a camera. The Canary video camera is an entirely separate device. Not sure why AI merged them into a single story as they are entirely unrelated.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 3 of 4
    wiggin said:

I think you are mixing the two different products. The lock doesn't have a camera. The Canary video camera is an entirely separate device. Not sure why AI merged them into a single story as they are entirely unrelated.

Right.  I assumed that black plastic was covering a camera.  That Canary camera seems creepy.  More peeping Tom than baby/pet monitor.  I have teenagers and I don't want to know what they are doing when I'm not watching.

• Reply 4 of 4

It's quite simple, really. If you want to be alerted to suspicious activity inside your home when you're away, the camera has to be pointed at the inside of your home. 

Canary makes two cameras currently: the original Canary, which is indoor-only, and the Canary Flex, which can be used indoors or outdoors. You can decide what parts of your home require monitoring and purchase the camera(s) most appropriate for the job.