Jumpstart your automated home with these discounted Apple HomeKit and Nest products

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2016
Researchers claim that only about 6 percent of U.S. homes currently have some form of home automation facilitated by iOS devices, which isn't surprising given the higher costs of these emerging technologies. Here's a look at how you can take advantage of the holiday sales to get in on the trend while on a budget.

But first, a word on compatibility

Apple's HomeKit and Google's Nest technology are the heavy hitters in home automation, with them both relying on Bluetooth and wi-fi. However, for the most part, Apple's HomeKit and Nest devices are incompatible without some form of bridging and translating software.

Apple has brought refinement and polish to home automation with HomeKit, and Nest has some hardware that HomeKit doesn't, like the outstanding, eponymous Nest Thermostat, and a wide array of cameras available for the Nest ecosystem.

While an all-HomeKit solution is optimal from an operational and security standpoint, a mixed system with Nest and HomeKit devices controlled by two apps is better than using six different apps from five different hardware vendors with a mishmash of vendors and technologies.

Speaking of the Nest...

At the core of any Nest system is the Nest Learning Thermostat. In 2011, Tony Fadell, the proclaimed "father of the iPod" launched the first generation of the thermostat, and for a time, it was stocked in Apple stores. That is, until Google bought Nest Labs.

Apple and Google have gone their separate ways, but the Nest Learning Thermostat perseveres, and the third-generation of the Nest Learning Thermostat controllable by Alexa, Android, or an iOS app, is currently available for an all-time low of $185.00 on eBay Deals with no tax in most states.

For iOS users, the Nest app controls the entire ecosystem of compatible devices, just like the Home app does on iOS for HomeKit. Just be aware, that HomeKit support is probably never coming to the Nest Smart Thermostat itself -- but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Nest home Products
Nest Smart Thermostat (Current-Gen) for $184.99 @eBay Deals ($144 off + no tax outside FL, NJ, NY)
Nest Protect Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm (2nd gen) for $99.00 @amazon

Home is your castle

While moats and other medieval defensive measures are frowned upon by most counties, what good is a castle without a good lock? The August Smart Lock with Apple HomeKit integrates with a home automation system on iOS through the Home app, or Android with a stand-alone app, and besides just auto-unlocking the door with a user's proximity, allows for "virtual keys" to be sent to provide temporary access for specific dates and times.

The lock only replaces the interior portion of a deadbolt, and allows for traditional key use at any time. Additionally, the app on either platform logs access times, providing the user a security log.

The retail price on the August Smart Lock is $230, but it is currently on sale for $195.99.

August HomeKit products
August Smart Lock with Apple HomeKit (Silver) for $195.99 @B&H ($34 off + no tax outside NY)
August Smart Lock with Apple HomeKit (Silver) for $229.00 @amazon
August Smart Lock with Apple HomeKit (Dark Gray) for $229.00 @B&H (no tax outside NY)
August Smart Lock with Apple HomeKit (Dark Gray) for $229.00 @amazon

Seeing what's going on, even when you're not home

Apple's HomeKit is lacking a good outdoor security camera right now. While that should change at some point, a good option for the Nest ecosystem is the Nest Cam Outdoor Security Camera.

The camera records 1080 resolution at 30 frames per second, with a 130-degree field of vision. An array of 8 infrared LEDs allows for capture of the scene, night or day.

Through the Nest app on Android or IOS, the camera provides two-way audio, and connects with Bluetooth Low Energy and 802.11n wi-fi.

An individual camera sells for $200, but users needing a pair for full coverage can get a set for $348.

Alternatively, Amazon currently has a single camera for $182.87 with two-hour delivery in some locations.

Nest camera products
Nest Cam Outdoor Security Camera for $175.00 @amazon ($24 off)
Nest Cam Outdoor Security Camera 2Pack for $348.00 @amazon ($50 off)
Nest Cam Indoor Security Camera for $171.09 @amazon ($29 off)
Nest Cam Indoor Security Camera (Pack of 3) for $497.00 @B&H ($103 off + no tax outside NY)

Shedding some (colored) light on the situation

The real promise of home automation is energy savings and customizable, automated lighting solutions. The Philips Hue system not only has full HomeKit compatibility, but features scheduling and remote control, and the ability to project one of up to 16 million colors, and is dimmable for ambiance.

The Hue White and Color Ambiance A19 Starter Kit from Philips retails for $199 and includes 3 Hue White and Color Ambiance A19 Single Bulbs and one Hue Bridge. Additionally, the system is compatible with Nest!

Or, if you're not into the Philips HomeKit solution, Lutron has a HomeKit and Amazon Alexa-compatible setup. It has similar specifications, and includes bridging hardware for your network, as well as dimmers, with bulbs sold separately.

A starter kit with the bridge, and two dimmers retails for $300, but is currently available from Amazon for $189.95.

Philips Hue HomeKit Products
Philips Hue Stand-Alone Bridge (White) for $54.00 ($6 off + no tax outside NY)
Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance A19 Starter Kit $149.00 ($50 off + no tax outside NY)
Philips Hue A19 Starter Kit (Warm White) for $69.99 ($10 off + no tax outside NY)
Philips Hue A19 Starter Kit (Ambiance) for $119.00 ($20 off + no tax outside NY)
Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance A19 Single Bulb for $39.99 ($20 off + no tax outside NY)
Philips Hue Lightstrip Plus Base (6.6') for $86.77 @amazon ($3 off)
Philips Hue Lightstrip Plus Base (6.6') for $89.99 @B&H (no tax outside NY)

Lutron HomeKit Products
Lutron Caseta Wireless Lighting Kit w/ 1 Dimmer (P-BDG-PKG2W) for $74.72 @amazon ($25 off)
Lutron Caseta Wireless Lighting Kit w/ 2 Dimmers (P-BDG-PKG2W) for $189.95 @amazon ($120 off)
Lutron Caseta Dimmer Kit with 2 Plugs (P-BDG-PKG2P) for $202.48 @amazon ($107.52 off)
Lutron Caseta Wireless Smart Bridge w/o Dimmers (L-BDG2-WH) for $79.95 @amazon ($70.05 off)

Home condition monitoring and control

Elgato has an entire system of products geared towards the home environment, beyond just a thermostat for a furnace. The Eve system has sensors for the weather, the home's ambient condition, and offers smart controls for an old cast-iron radiator as well.

The entire environmental system compatible with HomeKit and Siri includes the Eve Light Switch, the Eve Energy switch and power meter, the Eve Room wireless interior sensor, the Eve Weather outdoor sensor, the Eve Thermo thermostatic radiator valve. Security add-ons include the eve door & window contact sensor, and the wireless Eve Motion sensor.

Retail prices vary for the system, starting at $50 for the Eve Light Switch:

Elgato Eve products
Elgato Eve Energy, Switch & Power Meter for $44.95 @B&H ($5 off + no tax outside NY)
Elgato Eve Room, Wireless Indoor Sensor for $47.95 @amazon ($2 off)
Elgato Eve Motion, Wireless Motion Sensor for $49.95 @amazon
Elgato Eve Door & Window, Wireless Contact Sensor for $34.99 @amazon ($5 off)
Elgato Eve Weather, Wireless Outdoor Sensor for $49.95 @amazon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Kinda surprised you left out Ecobee... I've honestly loved mine. And my Caseta stuff has been fantastic as well.
    libertyforalltacain
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Surprised so much endorsement for the nest products.  There have been numerous reports of the Thermostats failing, leaving owners without heat.  The Smoke detectors were recalled in 2015, and had reports of repeatedly losing the wifi signal.  And the Cam has had lots of issues including bad support

libertyforalldachar[Deleted User]
  • Reply 3 of 17
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Kinda surprised you left out Ecobee... I've honestly loved mine. And my Caseta stuff has been fantastic as well.
    Agreed. Ecobee3 is the only thing worth to buy. 
    Nest products? Overpriced for their functions.
    Philips products? Way overrated and overpriced.
    August locks? Stupid! What is the point? You have to approach the door and must use the key for the handle lock from outside. From inside, how hard it is to just unlock the deadbolt lock since you have to unlock the handle lock anyway?
    libertyforall[Deleted User]
  • Reply 4 of 17
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Nest??? No thank you! I will never support a Google product. Not only do I not trust Google with my data, Nest products are pretty shitty for the price. Much better alternatives out there. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpsMkLaEiOY WARNING: you will only want to watch a few seconds...and turn down your volume or else RIP ears! But you get the idea. BTW...this is from a Google Employee (at the time of recording. 
    edited November 2016 libertyforallpatchythepirate
  • Reply 5 of 17
    This article is NONSENSE, the current version of Ecobee3 thermostat fully supports HomeKit and Siri!  WHICH IS WHY I DUMPED NEST THERMOSTAT!  

Could not be happier.  

https://www.ecobee.com/topics/homekit/
    edited November 2016 EsquireCats
  • Reply 6 of 17
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I have had two Elgato products including the eve weather. Neither worked.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    No doubt that the Ecobee3 is the way to go!  In addition, you left out iDevices.  Excellent reliable products that work with HomeKit and Alexa.  The Eve indoor environment sensor is kind of silly, in my view.  It measures volatile organic compounds, CO2, humidity and temperature.  If you really want to make safety claims, you should be measuring carbon monoxide, the silent killer!  But not the Eve.  I frankly don't care about the VOCs and CO2.  For a home monitoring sensor, I like the iHome Audio iSS50.  It senses light, sound, motion, humidity and temperature.  It provides HomeKit triggers that are actionable.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Don't bother getting a schlage lock. I figured since they sold it at the Apple Store, it would work with Apple products. Apparently not. It doesn't work with iPhone 7. And after I called tech support, rebooted my lock, and set it up with my old iPhone 6, it still doesn't work, and hasn't synced up with my Apple TV. It's basically a dumb lock with a keypad now, and I have no way of knowing when the battery will go out until I can't get into my home one day. BTW, this isn't an isolated gripe. Schlage are aware of the issue, and there's no indication they intend to fix it. What a shitty company.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 9 of 17
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I use a Tado heating control system. They provide good customer support and thier hardware and software have worked well since January 2014. I have just taken delivery of their new smart radiator wireless controls. An Apple HomeKit internet bridge is due soon. Tado guarantee you will save money from thier system, typically around 30% or more l believe . This is a good example of smart technology. It gives you better programable control of your heating and savers you money.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Great feature, but, it looks like more content providers are opting out than in. Screwed again....
    Don't bother getting a schlage lock. I figured since they sold it at the Apple Store, it would work with Apple products. Apparently not. It doesn't work with iPhone 7. And after I called tech support, rebooted my lock, and set it up with my old iPhone 6, it still doesn't work, and hasn't synced up with my Apple TV. It's basically a dumb lock with a keypad now, and I have no way of knowing when the battery will go out until I can't get into my home one day. BTW, this isolated gripe. Schlage are aware of the issue, and there's no indication they intend to fix it. What a shitty company.
    Just my opinion, but, I don't believe the home automation / control arena has sufficiently matured yet for me to trust it to the locks on my home.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    tacain said:
    Great feature, but, it looks like more content providers are opting out than in. Screwed again....
    Don't bother getting a schlage lock. I figured since they sold it at the Apple Store, it would work with Apple products. Apparently not. It doesn't work with iPhone 7. And after I called tech support, rebooted my lock, and set it up with my old iPhone 6, it still doesn't work, and hasn't synced up with my Apple TV. It's basically a dumb lock with a keypad now, and I have no way of knowing when the battery will go out until I can't get into my home one day. BTW, this isolated gripe. Schlage are aware of the issue, and there's no indication they intend to fix it. What a shitty company.
    Just my opinion, but, I don't believe the home automation / control arena has sufficiently matured yet for me to trust it to the locks on my home.

FWIW, it seems to function fine as a dumb lock, so not a risk (until the battery runs out and I don't have the backup key with me). Also FWIW, the best Home Kit product I've tried so far is the Ring doorbell.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    macxpress said:
    Nest??? No thank you! I will never support a Google product. Not only do I not trust Google with my data, Nest products are pretty shitty for the price. Much better alternatives out there. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpsMkLaEiOY WARNING: you will only want to watch a few seconds...and turn down your volume or else RIP ears! But you get the idea. BTW...this is from a Google Employee (at the time of recording. 
    That was also a gen 1 product and the gen 2 is out. 
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Probably worth noting that the Nest thermostat has been shown to make negligible savings to your energy bills - it won't pay itself off. My recommendation would be to go with a homekit compatible device such as the EcoBee Thermostat. I'd also argue to steer clear of Nest in general (especially cameras) due to privacy concerns.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Probably worth noting that the Nest thermostat has been shown to make negligible savings to your energy bills - it won't pay itself off. My recommendation would be to go with a homekit compatible device such as the EcoBee Thermostat. I'd also argue to steer clear of Nest in general (especially cameras) due to privacy concerns.
    Ecobee with remote sensors blows the shit Nest out of water.
    tacain
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Nest and similar are OK for small apartments etc. but no use in a large house. The smart TRV system is better as you can control room-by-room; why heat a whole house if you're just using 1 or 2 rooms at a time. I'm toying between a few to opt for just now but the non-homekit Evohome from Honeywell is looking like the one I'll be investing in.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Be sure you buy the right version of Phillips Hue. They sell different versions and the packaging is hard to distinguish between versions. The latest version (version 3 as I recall) is the one you want as it has a better color range (better greens). When I bought mine in mid November version 2 was on sale for $149 but the latest version was full price at $199. Not all places had the most current version. I bought mine at Best Buy. I was skeptical when I bought it but wanted something for my birthday and am happy with the purchase. I bought it thinking it was gimmicky but it really sets the mood in my TV room and is a plus on long winter nights. Also, the older version of the Hue app, which is still available in the App Store, is more intuitive than the new app.

Edit: Here are the Phillips product numbers for versions 2 and 3 of the starter kit and the current prices at Best Buy which is where I got the product numbers. This is not meant to be an endorsement of Best Buy though I'm happy with them because they had a live person there when I bought it and could confirm it was the latest version. Sometimes it is better to buy in person vs online.

Gen 3: 464479 $199.99
    Gen 2: 456194 $179.99
    edited November 2016 patchythepirate
  • Reply 17 of 17
    I agree my Ecobee3 has been awesome, and i can use Siri to get different temps in different  rooms in my house!

Also, Lifx says they are close to a Homekit solution (in their website anyways) and Lifx doesnt need a hub.. I want to avoid a box full of bridges for every appliance i want to add.