British MP urges schools to confiscate iPads, says children use tablet to bully

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Mikeymike said:
    Proposal makes sense.
    You can tell from that photo; that while Mr. lefty liberal pinko CA hipster teacher is trying to teach about flowers (oops, gay also); clearly, the young student is busy starring at pictures of giant ta-ta's. (just look at his face)
    Haha - love the facetiousness!
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 40
    bucksterbuckster Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    I guess it's really tough being a kid today when Billy Bully sends you an SMS that "your mother looks like Caitlyn Jenner" causing you to cry in the middle of class. Oh for the days of a good ass kicking after school has let out.
    netmage
  • Reply 23 of 40
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    So shouldn't they ban anything that might be a tool or cause for bullying? Pencils -- they can be used as a weapon. Money -- because bullies can demand your lunch money. Lunches -- they can also be an item in demand. Shoelaces -- take a lesson from prisons: these are really dangerous! Shoes -- some middle eastern countries use these to shame others. Hair -- it can be pulled by a bully.
    GeorgeBMacnetmage
  • Reply 24 of 40
    I support banning IPads from schools.
    I also support banning automobiles...  It put millions of buggy whip makers out of work and its unhealthy for people to ride in the new fangled things.

No, sorry...  Computer learning is the future...  Like healthcare we just can't afford the billions and trillions being poured into the inefficient and ineffective systems we use currently.

I got a sense of that over 50 years ago in my 8th grade Algebra class where we learned algebra using a predecessor of today's computers called "TeMac" (short for "Teaching Machine").   The 25-30 kids in the class learned on their own at their own pace using only a system where you learned by the book asking a question, the student would answer it then slide down a cover to reveal the answer.   The teacher was only in the room to keep the kids from killing each other and to answer questions.   It worked VERY well.

Today, with the technology available, we could do so very much more....
  • Reply 25 of 40
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Mikeymike said:

cashxx said:
    How about using discipline on the bullies?? Don't tell me that the Britain is also catering to kids like the U.S. is?  This has got to stop, our world will be a mess in 40 years with todays kids running everything. 
    Today's kids 'are' running everything.
    Today's kids are 'ruining' everything.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    cashxx said:
    How about using discipline on the bullies?? Don't tell me that the Britain is also catering to kids like the U.S. is?  This has got to stop, our world will be a mess in 40 years with todays kids running everything. 
    Assuming we are talking about personal devices, not school provided devices which are part of the lesson plan, isn't allowing them to use their personal devices during class "catering to kids"?

That aside, I agree 100% about discipline and not catering to kids (or their parents).

EDIT: I'd also suggest for consideration that discipline and not catering applies to both the bully and the person being bullied. 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 27 of 40
    What's the saying"...a poor craftsman blames his tools."
  • Reply 28 of 40
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Bring back the abacus. Aside from using it to hit people over the head, it is perfectly safe.
    Is this how they're bullying with the iPad. Threatening others with smacking them over the head with the iPad? I'm trying to figure out how you bully someone with a iPad or tablet in general?!?! I don't get it.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I have a solution to bullying, sign all the kids up for boxing classes and teach them the art of defense. Also make sure the real bully is pared up with a kid much larger them. Bullies tend to stop bullying when they get their asses kicked.

The world has to stop treating kids as fragile items.

• Reply 30 of 40
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Years ago, to take care of a bully, a group of non-bullies would get together and beat the ever loving shit out of the bully. And the problem went away.

Today, the blame is place on everything and anything except where it belongs...the bully.

They hold hour long assemblies in school on bullying, playing up nothing but victim suffering.

Victim culture is a disease.

I suspect you're more aligned with the perpetrators of social abuses than the victims of it, if you subscribe to the myth of "victim culture".
  • Reply 31 of 40

lostkiwi said:
    viclauyyc said:
    cashxx said:
    That is what they said 40 years ago.
    Many people would look at the world - particularly the political sphere in the USA and UK - and argue that they were right 40 years ago.
    Are those "many people" in their 40s or older today?
  • Reply 32 of 40

Yep! Can't agree more. Just look at our President-Elect who is bullying half the United States with his middle of night tweets on one of his iPhone or iPad!
    The fact that you got a bunch of dislikes shows what kind of crowd this is: the crowd that prefers to stand with the mock "strength and directness" of bullies. These are the same people that think there's a thing called "victim mentality".

The upsurge in bullying, bigotry, and overt racism does in fact have a causal relationship with the highest office in the land of the USA being taken by a bullying, narcissistic bigot. Just like when the same thing happened in the UK after brexit. Your comment was entirely valid.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 33 of 40

Mikeymike said:
    Proposal makes sense.
    You can tell from that photo; that while Mr. lefty liberal pinko CA hipster teacher is trying to teach about flowers (oops, gay also); clearly, the young student is busy starring at pictures of giant ta-ta's. (just look at his face)
    I don't know how you did it but you managed to squeeze in more childish stupidity per word than in any other post I've ever seen on this site
    Look up Poe's Law. 
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Sounds like some administrator needs to learn how to get their IT department to lock down the networking features of those iPads.

A conservative ranting against technology tools for students, rather than talking about using them correctly... What a shock.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Oh my! Just think what will happen they realise kids can use a pen and paper to write notes or draw pictures of each other! They'll have to ban pens and paper!
  • Reply 36 of 40
    cashxx said:
    It will be in a mess in a much shorter time, let's say the next four years....
  • Reply 37 of 40
    cashxx said:
    This has got to stop, our world will be a mess in 40 years with todays kids running everything. 
    The world is already a fucking mess because of the kids from 40 years ago. Everything needs kicked back at least two generations.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    dysamoria said:

Mikeymike said:
    Proposal makes sense.
    I don't know how you did it but you managed to squeeze in more childish stupidity per word than in any other post I've ever seen on this site
    Look up Poe's Law. 
    Considering the number of people on here that appear to genuinely hold similar views, it does become difficult to tell satire these days so I took a guess and assumed it was real. I used to laugh at the Facebook "this is satire" warning until Trump came along and I couldn't tell what was real anymore
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 39 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    hattig said:
    Another Tory saying something is happening, that appears to lack evidence that this is happening. Key phrase "we sadly know" == "I have no clue, but I guess it's happening", for example.

This is Tory modus operandi. And without an opposition party in government right now this will continue.

But we are living in a post-factual world, where evidence and experts count for nothing, and dogma and hunches are all that matter.
    Plus an with iPad grammar app it would tell you not to start a sentence with a conjunction!  ;)
  • Reply 40 of 40
    dysamoria said:
    …bullying, bigotry, and overt racism…
    Learn what words mean before you use them.