Cook talks Apple's social activism in interview promoting World AIDS Day plans

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67

I feel much more inclined to purchase products from a company that has a social policy that is in line with mine. The thought that you can separate corporate behaviour from social behaviour I find affronting. If I were to find out that Apple had investments in big tobacco or big coal I would not continue buying their products. A corporation may exist to generate value for shareholders but there is intangible value in supporting social and environmental outcomes. You can't have an economy without an environment or a society to support it.
    Do you think that someone with a social policy view that is the exact opposite of yours might boycott Apple for the same reason? Moreover, would you then agree that would perfectly rational and logical thing for that person to do?
  • Reply 62 of 67
    I would just as soon that corporations did not get involved with social policies, on either the Left or the Right. Social policymaking should be left to governments, NGOs, and private citizens. 

I think everyone should keep, and be allowed to keep, their 9-to-5 life separate from their 5-to-9 life. I realize, however, that is wishful thinking.
    This entire world is run by corporations. It's only natural the they'd get involved in social policies. 
    1) No, it's not. 2) No, it's not.
  • Reply 63 of 67
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I feel much more inclined to purchase products from a company that has a social policy that is in line with mine. The thought that you can separate corporate behaviour from social behaviour I find affronting. If I were to find out that Apple had investments in big tobacco or big coal I would not continue buying their products. A corporation may exist to generate value for shareholders but there is intangible value in supporting social and environmental outcomes. You can't have an economy without an environment or a society to support it.
    Do you think that someone with a social policy view that is the exact opposite of yours might boycott Apple for the same reason? Moreover, would you then agree that would perfectly rational and logical thing for that person to do?

I can't speak for the OP, but I certainly don't have a problem with it. Nor do I really have a problem with someone who doesn't like Apple's social policy agenda continuing to buy Apple products. I kind of wish they'd stop whining about it, though.

Simply, you have a right to disagree with Apple's non-tech related policies, and either boycotting their products as a result or not. It's a trade-off. It depends on whether their social policies are more important to you than their products.

• Reply 64 of 67
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    apple ][ said:

I don't like religion and extremism and I classify most liberals as being very religious and extreme. Most operate on faith, feeling, emotion and not much fact or science.
    Just out of curiosity: do you think climate change is happening, and if so, is it human-caused?
    I believe that climate change is constantly happening throughout history. For example, eventually there will be another ice age, humans or no humans.

I also believe that much of today's climate change hysteria is because of people that are motivated in part by politics, in part by religion, in part by greed and in part by ignorance. Simple people are easy to manipulate and many simpletons have apparently fallen for the green scam.

I'm not in favor of pollution or anything like that, I'm not that evil, but I do find much of 'climate change' to be complete BS. How much humans contribute to it is up for debate, but what I am mostly against is the totalitarian and hypocritical global warming crowd. 

If climate change is such a huge, huge threat, then all hypocrites like Al Gore should immediately go and sell their huge mansions and quit wasting energy. The asshats should practice what they preach.

And I certainly do not believe that it is the biggest danger that we face, like certain not very bright individuals such as Obama believes. Climate change wouldn't even rank on my top 10 list to be honest.

I will never in my entire life make any concessions to the global warming crowd. I will use as much energy and do whatever I please, and even then, I will not have used up a tenth as much energy as those hypocritical asshats have used.

So, no, climate change is not something that I would ever lose any sleep over. 

tallest skil
  • Reply 65 of 67
    Just out of curiosity: do you think climate change is happening, and if so, is it human-caused?
    Do his thoughts matter? Objective truth exists outside of public opinion, whether invented or otherwise.
    1) No, it's not. 2) No, it's not.
    True enough; standalone bankers play a huge role.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 66 of 67

I have been buying Apple products for 38 years -- since Apple ][.   I have never bought another brand for my personal use.

Never have I considered purchasing Apple products because of, or in spite of Apple's social policies!

Rather, Apple's technical vision/implementation, ethics, product quality, ease-of-use and customer support are the factors that influence my decisions.

I support most of Apple's and Tim's social policies -- but they are just icing on the cake -- reinforcing, rather than influencing my decisions.

anome