Thunderbolt 3-equipped MacBook Pro can use external GPUs, but at a cost

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    So this new 2016 MacBook Pro is definitely underwhelming to say the least. I got word that Apple is going to release a new Macbook Pro early 2017 possibly going with AMD! :) This will be the real updgrade.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Intel will release Kaby Lake processors on 5th January 2017 at CES. Expect great new Macs after that.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    Whoever wrote this, God bless. This was exactly what i was looking for OR a new Mac Pro with Thunderbolt 3 Display (GPU included pref. NVIDIA).
  • Reply 44 of 47
    rob53 said:
    You need to look at Bizon for a deliverable external GPU product for the new MacBook Pro (https://bizon-tech.com). The BizonBOX 2S is available now with the BizonBOX 3 coming in early 2017. Some of the latest NVIDIA GPUs aren't supported yet but you can get the NVIDIA GTX TITAN X, 12 GB, DVI, HDMI, 3 DP (3072 CUDA cores). Of course it will set you back $1500 but as you say these are for the adventurous.

Barefeats evaluated this box way back in July 2016, http://barefeats.com/bizon_box.html. I'm sure they'll be testing the new version when it comes out. He mentioned the new version in October while evaluating the new MBP, http://barefeats.com/rmbp2016.html.
    Unsure if you're a paid shill for this garbage company or just EXTREMELY gullible & eager to steer others down a ill path due to your own ignorance.
    Either way.... to any that assume you aren't talking out of your ass: NO!!!!!!!!! Stay away from this scam company. The previous "product" was exposed as being a rebadged Akitio sold at 2x-4x the price. Further... they are the only company that claimed that it works in macOS, on the new MacBook Pros- for certain, even before either their product or the new MBP was released.
    They are precisely double what everyone else is charging & won't ship theirs until the competition releases theirs.
    It doesn't take a genius to figure out these scumbags are up to their same old tricks.
    Let OP stack his money in a pile & burn it, if that makes him happy. For those that want a real product: try any of the others mentioned. I prefer Akitio... it's MUCH more "barebones" than the others, but supports full length, width, & height cards- read details on others; they are all constrained in at least one dimension.
    As an aside- I emailed "hairforceone" one about this recently & got back a pat response that they don't have an eGPU announcement at this time.
    So.... for the most part: BootCamp gaming is the only lock.
    hmm
  • Reply 45 of 47
    alxkntalxknt Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    The "ATP Tipster" has a lot to say about this subject. He claims that Sierra has excellent (read; hot pluggable) eGPU support, built for the vaporwear 5K display with built in GPU. It needs to be enabled with some EFI magic. He recommends the Bison box. Who knows if he's legit, but it sure makes an interesting read.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member

In case anyone wonders, sadly, no you can't use AMD driver updates while in Windows as they deliberately exclude their own GPUs made for Apple as being 'not recognized', nice one AMD!  It was possible to mod the Omega drivers prior to Crimson, to stop rejecting the D500s, but a complex hack, I've yet to look to see if this is possible with the latest Crimson but I probably won't anyway as the hacked Omega drivers made the Mac Pro run very hot.  That's why I am using the long outdated official Crimson drivers from Apple still!
    AMD releases special drivers for BootCamp. Choose "BootCamp" in the menus then choose Windows version and Mac model on the driver downloads page. This is all we can get at this time.
    Right, then you update the Apple Utility  that Boot Camp installs  (multiple times) in Windows, that version AMD driver you refer to is then updated further by Apple to version 6 in their parlance.  I would give you the Crimson driver release numbers if I could but away from my Mac Pro at the moment.  From memory it's something like a jump from 15.1 to 15.3 but I could be way off.  I seem to recall the PC world are on 16 now.  In fact there was an update this week especially for Watch Dogs 2 which scared the hell out of me but it turned out my older drivers worked fine as per my earlier post.
    Thanks. I was just about to install those AMD BootCamp drivers that I stopped, because I'd previously installed Apple's latest BootCamp software.
    I just discovered this site:  http://www.bootcampdrivers.com/
    tallest skil
  • Reply 47 of 47
    Hopefully soon my self-built gaming PC's will be a thing of the past. It has only ever been the lack of GPU performance in Mac hardware that has meant living a Jekyll and Hyde life. The wonderfully configurable MacPro's vanished from Apple's line-up (and no, the most recent objects of ridicule were never as flexible as the cheese-grater MacPro iterations) which meant I had to get dirty with the disgusting intestinal internals of a home-built PC. Even with the huge popularity of gaming on an iOS device, Apple has never given much attention to the billion dollar PC gaming market. Though now, with the aid of third-party hardware manufacturers, lowly MacMini's, thunderbolt enabled, will perhaps allow me to ditch the GTX1080 PC rig I built.