Samsung aims to beat Apple with edge-to-edge display, no home button on Galaxy S8

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 70
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 1,879member
    sog35 said:
    Man if Samsung comes out with a bezeless phone next year and Apple only gives us the 7s they will get killed

    Why is Apple so slow with design?  Why can't Apple lead in design anymore?

    The bezeless iPhone should have been the 7.

    When was the last time Apple was actually cutting edge?

    iPhone and iPad were cutting edge. And the Watch to a lesser extent.
    WTF ???
  • Reply 22 of 70
    ireland said:
    Then there is the issue of volume versus profit and I suspect Samsung and Sog fail to understand which is more important.
    Who cares anymore. I use tech to enjoy myself and be productive, not to follow profit or sales charts. Life's too short!!
    Metcalf's law matters.

    The key thing in communications technology is network compatibility of you and all the things you want to talk with (people, services, things).  The more people using iMessage (or ApplePay) the more useful the technology and more the 'stickiness'.

    So Volume is important, if it speaks to driving people to incompatible networks.  Profits are for shareholders, volume is for market control.   volume (at least critical mass) is what Apple must strive to have to keep the iOs/ITMS/AppStore ecosystem a growth engine.

    I use Tech to do my 'job' so, nothing on the S8 makes me want to jump.  (curvy edges are visually appealing, but then you lose grippiness and/or increase falsepos touches.)   
    Using the same form factor for 4 years for the 'phone' isn't a big deal, as they increase the inputs (Siri, watch, AirPods, continuity, proximity controls).  The phone stays in the pocket more and more, where it should be most of the time, as a 'phone in your face' is the least impressive attributes I see in a pocket computing device.   
    calivolcan
  • Reply 23 of 70
    sog35 said:
    Gorecki said:
    sog35 said:
    Man if Samsung comes out with a bezeless phone next year and Apple only gives us the 7s they will get killed

    Why is Apple so slow with design?  Why can't Apple lead in design anymore?

    The bezeless iPhone should have been the 7.

    When was the last time Apple was actually cutting edge?

    iPhone and iPad were cutting edge. And the Watch to a lesser extent.
    Because Apple is the only one who has to produce 1 million units A DAY! Therefore you need to have a design that some manufacturer is capable to make in that kind of volumes, quality and price per unit.
    Thats ridiculous.

    So that means the iPhone needs to  have the same basic design for FOUR FRIKEN YEARS IN A ROW!
    Did I say that? I said that more revolutionary changes, like f.e. AMOLED, edge to edge or curved display and so on are limited by the objective reasons of what is possible now. I can assure you that Apple has many prototypes that would drop your jaw, but there is no one capable of producing it.

    And like I have said to you several times, stop commenting on industrial design! You are clueless about it and you just embarrass yourself.
    patchythepirateai46palominewaverboytmaysmiffy31baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 70
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 1,891member
    sog35 said:
    Man if Samsung comes out with a bezeless phone next year and Apple only gives us the 7s they will get killed

    Why is Apple so slow with design?  Why can't Apple lead in design anymore?

    The bezeless iPhone should have been the 7.

    When was the last time Apple was actually cutting edge?

    iPhone and iPad were cutting edge. And the Watch to a lesser extent.
    Does benzeless works correctly?  I think after a case is put on part of the screen become inaccessible. 
    calibaconstang
  • Reply 25 of 70
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,158member
    We all know what happens when Samsung tries to beat Apple to the punch. 
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 70
    sflocal said:
    eightzero said:
    mwhite said:
    sog35 said:
    Man if Samsung comes out with a bezeless phone next year and Apple only gives us the 7s they will get killed

    Why is Apple so slow with design?  Why can't Apple lead in design anymore?

    The bezeless iPhone should have been the 7.

    When was the last time Apple was actually cutting edge?

    iPhone and iPad were cutting edge. And the Watch to a lesser extent.
    SHUT UP!!!
    Please don't feed the troll. Just block and ignore him. Fairly, I do think we need to congratulate sog on his ability to write English so well. Not easy for Korean folks to pick up the nuances of English so convincingly. Could be his samsung handlers have sent him (her?) to some good schools; or even provided him (her?) top notch translators. 
    Blocking SOG does zero on this AI when this miscreant gets quoted all the time by others telling him to shut his pie hole.   I have him blocked and when he opens his mouth, he just contaminates the entire thread.

    AI needs to implement a blocking system where not only is the person blocked, but any quotes with his remarks are removed as well.  He's really contaminating threads and I rarely read anything passed the first page now when Sog decides to chime in his crap.  It just goes downhill.  He's contributed to others just giving up and leaving.

    There are several levels involved.  How would you handle this:



    Just eliminating the OP's text (outlined in red) would yield:

    sflocal said:
    eightzero said:
    mwhite said:
    sog35 said:
    SHUT UP!!!
    Please don't feed the troll. Just block and ignore him. Fairly, I do think we need to congratulate sog on his ability to write English so well. Not easy for Korean folks to pick up the nuances of English so convincingly. Could be his samsung handlers have sent him (her?) to some good schools; or even provided him (her?) top notch translators. 
    Blocking SOG does zero on this AI when this miscreant gets quoted all the time by others telling him to shut his pie hole.   I have him blocked and when he opens his mouth, he just contaminates the entire thread.

    AI needs to implement a blocking system where not only is the person blocked, but any quotes with his remarks are removed as well.  He's really contaminating threads and I rarely read anything passed the first page now when Sog decides to chime in his crap.  It just goes downhill.  He's contributed to others just giving up and leaving.

    Unfortunately, he/she would still be successful in dominating and hijacking the thread...  but a member would be able to avoid the rants.

    edited December 2016 mwhitepatchythepirate
  • Reply 27 of 70
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Yeah I feel like I'm getting an overly negative view of Apple due to reading these and other forums... when really the company's sales are holding up okay.

    I'm sure some criticisms are valid... but then again Apple is going to get criticized on these boards no matter WHAT the company does...
    mwhitepscooter63
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Can't help but wonder if Samesung's privileged position as major supplier to Apple gives them access to future iPhone specs that they in turn push out in their own product. The sooner Apple can wean themselves off Samsung for all its components the better. Industrial "espionage" on a major scale here, and it's legal as long as Apple does business with them. 
    palomine
  • Reply 29 of 70
    cali said:
    If true, doesn't this imitation goods manufacturer learn?

    rushing a product to beat Apple doesn't work.
    Sure it does, Samsung was so efficient producing a great fire starter that Apple abandoned their efforts with the Note 7 introduction. 

    But seriously Samsung has taken Apple patent scraping to new levels with each Galaxy or Note introduced, from utility patents to design patents, then Samsung rushes a model out to have what they can reasonably predict are Apples features for future phones (or pad or watches). This results in Apple then seeing Samsung and spending huge amounts of money defending their patents ... They have to or there would be a bunch of identi-clones in large enough numbers to pollute the market.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 70
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 4,556member
    sog35 said:
    Gorecki said:
    sog35 said:
    Man if Samsung comes out with a bezeless phone next year and Apple only gives us the 7s they will get killed

    Why is Apple so slow with design?  Why can't Apple lead in design anymore?

    The bezeless iPhone should have been the 7.

    When was the last time Apple was actually cutting edge?

    iPhone and iPad were cutting edge. And the Watch to a lesser extent.
    Because Apple is the only one who has to produce 1 million units A DAY! Therefore you need to have a design that some manufacturer is capable to make in that kind of volumes, quality and price per unit.
    Thats ridiculous.

    So that means the iPhone needs to  have the same basic design for FOUR FRIKEN YEARS IN A ROW!
    Yeah, it's weird that after all this time it's still FRIKEN PHONE-SHAPED!

    C'mon Tim! Your customers want this!


    smiffy31
  • Reply 31 of 70
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,690member
    I love¡ how the headline says that Samsung is aiming to "beat" Apple when there'd no evidence that Apple is looking to do either of these things. I guess we can say Samsung "beat" Apple to including a battery that is too large for its casing, that is prone to combusting, gets an official ban by the FAA, and the largest recall of a CE in history. Go Samsung¡
    StrangeDayssuddenly newtonmwhite
  • Reply 32 of 70
    cali said:
    Sog steals another thread!!
    By my count, Sog made 2 out 42 posts to this thread, and other members quoted him 16 times (including Sog quoting himself).

    We gave the thread to Sog -- he didn't need to steal it!

    edited December 2016 pscooter63patchythepiratebaconstang
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 4,556member
    Soli said:
    I love¡ how the headline says that Samsung is aiming to "beat" Apple when there'd no evidence that Apple is looking to do either of these things. I guess we can say Samsung "beat" Apple to including a battery that is too large for its casing, that is prone to combusting, gets an official ban by the FAA, and the largest recall of a CE in history. Go Samsung¡
    "You Apple sheep wouldn't know innovation if it exploded in your face!"



    edited December 2016 Solibaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 70

    Can't help but wonder if Samesung's privileged position as major supplier to Apple gives them access to future iPhone specs that they in turn push out in their own product. The sooner Apple can wean themselves off Samsung for all its components the better. Industrial "espionage" on a major scale here, and it's legal as long as Apple does business with them. 
    I don't think so...

    AIR, Sammy built Apple's A7 chip and didn't know it was 64-bit.

  • Reply 35 of 70

    sog35 said:
    Gorecki said:
    sog35 said:
    Man if Samsung comes out with a bezeless phone next year and Apple only gives us the 7s they will get killed

    Why is Apple so slow with design?  Why can't Apple lead in design anymore?

    The bezeless iPhone should have been the 7.

    When was the last time Apple was actually cutting edge?

    iPhone and iPad were cutting edge. And the Watch to a lesser extent.
    Because Apple is the only one who has to produce 1 million units A DAY! Therefore you need to have a design that some manufacturer is capable to make in that kind of volumes, quality and price per unit.
    Thats ridiculous.

    So that means the iPhone needs to  have the same basic design for FOUR FRIKEN YEARS IN A ROW!
    The same basic design? It has been the same basic design since 2007. The innovations occur in increments some in the electronics, and some to refine the design. There is no need to continually fix something that isn't broken. And there is a HUGE amount of innovation in the most important part, the eco system the phone lives in. It is greatly under appreciated. 

    T-Mobile is just recently announced that, for a fee, you can answer your phone on your phone, tablet or desktop. Apple has provided this for free in a carrier agnostic manner for years. Apple FaceTime provides a unified across devices means for voice call or video calls on data only. For years ... 

    Apple innovations are more for making seamless integration of their devices, and consistency. For example I can still play the first songs I bought through iTunes and played on my 10GB iPod on my latest desktop, notebook, even a windows system, as well as my phone, tablet and apple tv. Apple even "upgraded" my music through "match" to DRM free much higher fidelity versions ... 

    Apple's version of innovation makes much more sense to me, smaller stepwise design changes that are well thought out, delivery of exemplar devices in terms of fit and finish as well as materials and process, and better, smoother integration into a uniform ecosystem. This makes much more sense that making a bezel that is .5mm thinner and a phone that has a different radius corner or is flatter, curvier, or shaped in a circle. Apple spends years in human factors research for a feature and suppliers often leak the details, then others like Samsung rush an imperfect version out and the Android fanboys jump on it as the height of innovation. When often it is based on Apple patents and leaked industrial design information. The folks at Samsung also stick a finger into the wind to map their designs. Apple without a headphone jack, leaked months before the iPhone 7 release. The public was aghast (well the pundits were) and Samsung wasn't rushing to implement that feature. The iPhone 7 comes out, and it isn't a big deal, the public adapts quickly and it helps the phone be water-resistant. And incidentally saves Apple money, allows for more electronics/battery space. Samsung measures the response and guess what, no headphone jack on their next model. Samsung is a follower not a innovation leader. 
    Macsplosionai46smiffy31baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 70
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,771member

    There are several levels involved.  How would you handle this:


    I think it is pretty simple. As I recall someone here already wrote a script a couple years ago when TS was on the rampage and it was very effective. It collapsed the comments from the user on your block list, even inside nested comments, and then turned the user's name red and put the word blocked under their name. If you wanted to read it you could reveal it and then re-colapse again as desired. Personally, I have no one blocked. 
    palominerepressthis
  • Reply 37 of 70
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,792member
    sflocal said:
    eightzero said:
    mwhite said:
    sog35 said:
    Man if Samsung comes out with a bezeless phone next year and Apple only gives us the 7s they will get killed

    Why is Apple so slow with design?  Why can't Apple lead in design anymore?

    The bezeless iPhone should have been the 7.

    When was the last time Apple was actually cutting edge?

    iPhone and iPad were cutting edge. And the Watch to a lesser extent.
    SHUT UP!!!
    Please don't feed the troll. Just block and ignore him. Fairly, I do think we need to congratulate sog on his ability to write English so well. Not easy for Korean folks to pick up the nuances of English so convincingly. Could be his samsung handlers have sent him (her?) to some good schools; or even provided him (her?) top notch translators. 
    Blocking SOG does zero on this AI when this miscreant gets quoted all the time by others telling him to shut his pie hole.   I have him blocked and when he opens his mouth, he just contaminates the entire thread.

    AI needs to implement a blocking system where not only is the person blocked, but any quotes with his remarks are removed as well.  He's really contaminating threads and I rarely read anything passed the first page now when Sog decides to chime in his crap.  It just goes downhill.  He's contributed to others just giving up and leaving.

    There are several levels involved.  How would you handle this:



    Just eliminating the OP's text (outlined in red) would yield:

    sflocal said:
    eightzero said:
    mwhite said:
    sog35 said:
    SHUT UP!!!
    Please don't feed the troll. Just block and ignore him. Fairly, I do think we need to congratulate sog on his ability to write English so well. Not easy for Korean folks to pick up the nuances of English so convincingly. Could be his samsung handlers have sent him (her?) to some good schools; or even provided him (her?) top notch translators. 
    Blocking SOG does zero on this AI when this miscreant gets quoted all the time by others telling him to shut his pie hole.   I have him blocked and when he opens his mouth, he just contaminates the entire thread.

    AI needs to implement a blocking system where not only is the person blocked, but any quotes with his remarks are removed as well.  He's really contaminating threads and I rarely read anything passed the first page now when Sog decides to chime in his crap.  It just goes downhill.  He's contributed to others just giving up and leaving.

    Unfortunately, he/she would still be successful in dominating and hijacking the thread...  but a member would be able to avoid the rants.

    I "think" I speak for quite a few regulars here when I say that I kinda wish AI would adopt different forum software. The current software really doesn't work very well. Its very quirky. One time it does one thing, another time it does something different. Its slow and sometimes double posts (which is why you see A LOT of double posts in threads), etc, etc. Its very frustrating to use sometimes. There are times when I just say the hell with it, its not worth posting now because of something it did (or didn't do)
    edited December 2016 repressthis
  • Reply 38 of 70
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,771member
    sog35 said
    I'm thinking how the low IQ public thinks.  
    [...]
    They want something that screams: HEY I GOT THE NEW ONE!
    Well at least they have some smarts - they are screaming about their new iPhone and not some new flagship Samsung phone which only screams "I'm a total dorky geek who doesn't have a girlfriend".
    baconstang
  • Reply 39 of 70
    sog35 said:
    T.j.p. said:

    sog35 said:
    Gorecki said:
    sog35 said:
    Man if Samsung comes out with a bezeless phone next year and Apple only gives us the 7s they will get killed

    Why is Apple so slow with design?  Why can't Apple lead in design anymore?

    The bezeless iPhone should have been the 7.

    When was the last time Apple was actually cutting edge?

    iPhone and iPad were cutting edge. And the Watch to a lesser extent.
    Because Apple is the only one who has to produce 1 million units A DAY! Therefore you need to have a design that some manufacturer is capable to make in that kind of volumes, quality and price per unit.
    Thats ridiculous.

    So that means the iPhone needs to  have the same basic design for FOUR FRIKEN YEARS IN A ROW!
    The same basic design? It has been the same basic design since 2007. The innovations occur in increments some in the electronics, and some to refine the design. There is no need to continually fix something that isn't broken. And there is a HUGE amount of innovation in the most important part, the eco system the phone lives in. It is greatly under appreciated. 

    T-Mobile is just recently announced that, for a fee, you can answer your phone on your phone, tablet or desktop. Apple has provided this for free in a carrier agnostic manner for years. Apple FaceTime provides a unified across devices means for voice call or video calls on data only. For years ... 

    Apple innovations are more for making seamless integration of their devices, and consistency. For example I can still play the first songs I bought through iTunes and played on my 10GB iPod on my latest desktop, notebook, even a windows system, as well as my phone, tablet and apple tv. Apple even "upgraded" my music through "match" to DRM free much higher fidelity versions ... 

    Apple's version of innovation makes much more sense to me, smaller stepwise design changes that are well thought out, delivery of exemplar devices in terms of fit and finish as well as materials and process, and better, smoother integration into a uniform ecosystem. This makes much more sense that making a bezel that is .5mm thinner and a phone that has a different radius corner or is flatter, curvier, or shaped in a circle. Apple spends years in human factors research for a feature and suppliers often leak the details, then others like Samsung rush an imperfect version out and the Android fanboys jump on it as the height of innovation. When often it is based on Apple patents and leaked industrial design information. The folks at Samsung also stick a finger into the wind to map their designs. Apple without a headphone jack, leaked months before the iPhone 7 release. The public was aghast (well the pundits were) and Samsung wasn't rushing to implement that feature. The iPhone 7 comes out, and it isn't a big deal, the public adapts quickly and it helps the phone be water-resistant. And incidentally saves Apple money, allows for more electronics/battery space. Samsung measures the response and guess what, no headphone jack on their next model. Samsung is a follower not a innovation leader. 
    I'm thinking how the low IQ public thinks.  The low IQ public (which makes the grand majority of the user base) does not think about mobile CPUs.

    All they think about is if the new iPhone looks 'different' and if people would be able to tell. That is why the Black iPhones are selling like crazy. Because if you have a Black iPhone people know its the new one.

    I can instantly tell the difference between an iPhone 4s and an iPhone 5 
    I can instantly tell the difference between an iPhone 5 vs an iPhone 6
    I can't instantly tell the difference between an iPhone6 and iPhone7.  And if next year is the same story that will be a disaster to sells.

    people don't want to throw down $1000 for a new phone that looks just like a FOUR YEAR OLD PHONE!  They want something that screams: HEY I GOT THE NEW ONE!

    I know this sounds shallow and lame, but its the truth.
    Please don't conflate being an early adopter / gadget enthusiast with "high IQ."
    baconstang
  • Reply 40 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,292member
    Gorecki said:
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    If true, doesn't this imitation goods manufacturer learn?

    rushing a product to beat Apple doesn't work.
    I don't think the edge-to-edge display is being rushed rushed based on rumors from much earlier in the year where it was said to be a feature on the S8 for 2017. News reports of Samsung and bezel less displays goes back much further than that, 2012 at least, so it's not anything new.
    http://pocketnow.com/2012/02/24/is-samsung-working-on-a-galaxy-b-phone-without-a-bezel
     
    Of course they won't be the first to do so anyway as at least one Chinese OEM (maybe more) already offers a "bezel-less" display smartphone.

    Thats not a "bezel-less" display. They faked their promotional rederings, where they changed the bezel. Real life pictures show that the bezel is quite the same as wirh other phones. Well, what do you expect from Chinese firm.

    And btw, Sharp Aquos came out already in 2014 and has smaller bezels than this Xiaomi.
    They faked the video too? Did you watch it? Hard to believe it's not a real review or images. Great work if they did. 
    edited December 2016
Sign In or Register to comment.