Apple makes case for Apple Watch Series 2 Christmas gifts in new ad series

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Ericthehalfbee  Posts: 2,875member
    11:44AM  edited 11:44AM Flag
    goldenclaw said:
    I'll consider one of these when they add some sort of ability for solar charging on the device itself.

Never going to happen. There just isn't enough energy in light to even make this feasible. Can't get around the laws of physics.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On powering the Apple Watch with alternative energy. Here is a chance to show my ignorance.

Any real world  chance of using one or several sources as suggested below, as an energy source?
    A.)I have read that new screen technology allows for a layer of PV collection. Could this be included in the AW screen?
    B.)How about this, it also seems that a possible energy source could be a micro kinetic energy generator/collector, especially with active users.
    C.)Also harvesting heat on/in AW or worn environ for energy?
    D.)A micro fuel cell energy exchange, for example using propane?

Please begin laughing now!

Actually nothing to laugh at here.   

Solar power is a real possibility as a suplemental power source. Such a source woild have a hard time charging the battery but coild easily supplement the battery especially for ifle periods.   The biggest problem here being that the watch is often covered or in a non optimal location.   Given that a few more process shrinks an you might actually be able to charge the battery.  

There is a lot of research going into energy harvesting devicesso this is possible.   The problem is space on a watch.  

Heat harvesting relies upon a heat differential.   Being that the watch is in body coontact i really doubt that a large enough differenyial can be had.  

Fuel cells require space.  They are almost an instant no go in a watch.  

What you really want is a nuclear powered watch with a 100 year life span!    
    edited December 2016 apple jockey
  • Reply 22 of 32
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I will never buy an Apple Watch until it has a battery that lasts a month or more
    freshmakeribillmacgui
  • Reply 23 of 32
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    I am still baffled by tech pundits saying things like they should be able to make calls with the Apple Watch or it should run independent of the iPhone or the battery last forever, etc. Since these pundit are not into technology and manufacturing I doubt they have any idea what sort of technology is needed to make these kinds of ideas work and that's why they are still writers because all they know is to type and regurgitate what others are saying without a mind to understand anything how technology works. One more things ads work because they are repeated many times over and after watching them a few times the mind will see things we miss the time time we see the ads.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 24 of 32
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    wizard69 said:
    I have the Series 2, I love it and use it daily.

I must be getting old, I can't see the relevance in such quick advertising. You barely get a taste of the theme.

this wouldn't entice me! But I hope it does inspire other would be buyers.

What i find inexplicable is the timing, which in my mind is a bit late for Christmas shopping.  You dont start an advertising champsigne after you sales problem crops up.  Frankly it is things like this that bother me more about the new Apple than all the whining about drawn out product releases.  
    No it is not too late.

Many of us do last minute shopping and the ads are timed just right to change our mind on what we have decided earlier.

Marketing is about timing and what works and Apple know more about us and our shopping habits than we armchair critics.
    macgui
  • Reply 25 of 32
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Despite Note 7 fires,
    Apple Watch is the hottest gift this season!
    freshmaker
  • Reply 26 of 32
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    The best way to recover from a dip during your run is to slow your pace. What you never should do, is to stop running and lean against a tree, as shown in the ad. It is not really a great way to promote the Apple Nike watch.

Perhaps the watch should warn you to slow your pace if your heart rate is running high in order to prevent the runners's dip? The best way is to monitor your breathing and heart rate yourself however.

>:x

I am off for a run myself now.
    edited December 2016 freshmakermacgui
  • Reply 27 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

I must be getting old, I can't see the relevance in such quick advertising. You barely get a taste of the theme.

Good to know you like it, just bought one for my wife.  
  • Reply 28 of 32
    mazda 3s said:

It it might not be waterproof, but at that price who cares :) Makes a great gift. 

In other words: "Here ya go, Hon. It's a year-old, last-generation watch that doesn't do everything the new Apple Watch does – but I got a good deal on it!" Then what, an intimate dinner at Arby's?
  • Reply 29 of 32
    MicDorsey said:
    mazda 3s said:

It it might not be waterproof, but at that price who cares :) Makes a great gift. 
    In other words: "Here ya go, Hon. It's a year-old, last-generation watch that doesn't do everything the new Apple Watch does – but I got a good deal on it!" Then what, an intimate dinner at Arby's?
    Or perhaps it's, "Hey, hon, I didn't waste money because you're not a runner, you don't swim, and you don't know what a nit is so you won't miss a few extras and with the money I saved I bought you some other bands for it or another present entirely because, you know you tell me all the time, hon, 'we're not made of money so let's not do stupid things like waste it on useless things just because some tech whores on the internet convinced you the size of your penis would decrease if you didn't get the bestest, latest greatest with the largest number on the model number because, well, you know, bigger is better crap and all that.'" [rolls eyes]
    GeorgeBMacmazda 3s
  • Reply 30 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MicDorsey said:
    mazda 3s said:

Or perhaps it's, "Hey, hon, I didn't waste money because you're not a runner, you don't swim, and you don't know what a nit is so you won't miss a few extras and with the money I saved I bought you some other bands for it or another present entirely because, you know you tell me all the time, hon, 'we're not made of money so let's not do stupid things like waste it on useless things just because some tech whores on the internet convinced you the size of your penis would decrease if you didn't get the bestest, latest greatest with the largest number on the model number because, well, you know, bigger is better crap and all that.'" [rolls eyes]
    Yep!   Well said!
    I just wanted to comment on the myth that the original series and Series 1 are not usable for running.   Most serious runners that I know carry their phones with them on a run -- which means that, for running, either will do just as good a job as the Series 2.

For some reason, the media really promoted the idea that without onboard GPS the Apple Watch was worthless for runners.

Actually, the biggest limitation of the watch has been that 3rd party apps were blocked from accessing the watch's metric such as heart rate.   But, that limitation was removed with Watch OS3 (it was never a hardware problem) and now we are starting to see high quality 3rd party running apps become available for the Apple Watch.  

With that, the Apple Watch now has the capability to become the Gold Standard of exercise trackers. 

I just wish that Apple would listen more to actual athletes and design their own app to better meet their needs (such as making the display user modifiable instead of hardcoding it to display 5 metrics even if the user only wants to see 2 (currently it leaves 3/5 of precious screen-estate blank if the user only wants to see 2 metrics). 
    williamlondonmazda 3s
  • Reply 31 of 32

"Informal Sector Parade (Thornato Remix)" by Filastine
    "Go Play," set to "Realligator" by Magnus the Magnus
    "Backwardz" by Junglebae

This sums up everything that is worng with popular music today...

• Reply 32 of 32
    wizard69 said:

What i find inexplicable is the timing, which in my mind is a bit late for Christmas shopping.  You dont start an advertising champsigne after you sales problem crops up.  Frankly it is things like this that bother me more about the new Apple than all the whining about drawn out product releases.  
    Your frustration arises out of a false premise.  Apple never had "sales problems crop up."   That turned out to just be fake news from IDC.  One analyst said it was 1.1 million, another said 2.8 million, Tim Cook had to contact Reuters and slap them all down because the Apple Watch is selling so well it is on its way to an all time best quarter and towards being the most popular consumer electronics item of the holidays.  IDC and the other analysts had no way of knowing what sales were, so they just made their figures up.  
    williamlondon