Watch: Up close with the 2016 MacBook Pro's 2nd-gen butterfly switch keyboard & huge Force Touch tr

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited December 2016
The 2016 MacBook Pro lineup features two key hardware enhancements that help boost productivity: a second-generation butterfly mechanism keyboard and the largest Force Touch trackpad ever integrated into an Apple laptop. In this latest video installment, AppleInsider takes a closer look at the new components and how they compare to past models.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

We're also interested in your questions! If you want to know anything about the new MacBook Pro or LG UltraFine lineup, chime in on our forums and we'll address it.
volcan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I like the quality of these new AI videos. Good job.
    MaxYuryev
  • Reply 2 of 13
    It's kind of absurd that all the work Apple has put into creating a completely silent laptop is chrushed by this terrible and extremely noisy keyboard. 
    Donvermo
  • Reply 3 of 13
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    rune66 said:
    It's kind of absurd that all the work Apple has put into creating a completely silent laptop is chrushed by this terrible and extremely noisy keyboard. 
    Coming on the next revision: active noise cancellation using a speaker under every key.
    rune66
  • Reply 4 of 13
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rune66 said:
    First, the sound is not that loud. The video exaggerates it in the recording process itself.

Second, it's there for a reason, as part of a tactile-auditory feedback "mechanism" to improve accuracy and, unconsciously, satisfaction. Go to the store and try it.
    edited December 2016 fastasleepjony0
  • Reply 5 of 13
    volcan said:
    Agreed. Really well done! Ai is fast becoming my one stop for all Apple "goings on." 

NEWS: Of course, the latest news/rumors. I used to read the print version of MacWorld Magazine and listen to their Podcasts.  Jason Snell and Phil Michaels (Probably the funniest guy in the Apple world), but that's gone bye-bye. I miss it.

PODCASTS: I've cancelled most of my other Apple podcasts and listen to Ai's podcast. Neil, Victor and Dan do an excellent job.

DEALS: I'm looking at there deal offerings for future purposes. (B&H no sales taxes...could save me $100's!)

TIPS: I read all the "Tips." 

REVIEWS: Read all the Ai reviews of new products.

VIDEOS: The most recent videos are really well done.

I just wish there was a "Dumb Ass" button that I could click on so as not to see all the naysayers and complainers (and "Dumb Asses") silly comments on every subject.

Best.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 6 of 13
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Is LG UltraFine 4K matte? Is LG UltraFine 5K matte?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    volcan said:

Agreed. Really well done! Ai is fast becoming my one stop for all Apple "goings on."

Thanks guys! We're trying to keep improving the content and quality.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    rune66 said:
    I disagree, it's not actually that noisy. Having used my machine for a few days now, I very much like it: the key response is positive and the click adds to that. I find myself making less mistakes than with the older, longer travel, keys; this one has such a well-defined start-of-travel/click/end-of-travel. The track pad is also excellent, the response is equally good; I think the new keyboard is somehow more consistent with that.

Once you get over the fact that USB-C is still very new, so you're going to have to buy dongles for all your existing peripherals, the machine is good. It looks the business (as it should for its price) and it's usefully lighter. The upside of losing the illuminated Apple logo is that you also lose the plastic insert in favour of a polished metal one - very classy. It's also fast: I have the 2.7GHz i7 and that's no slouch but the real speed is in overall system operation, born, I think, of the very fast SSD. In the real world, apps launch fast, run fast and save fast - the stuff that's hard to understand from benchmarks.

And for Appex, the LG Ultrafine 4K is about the same level of glossy as the MBP's own display. I thought the MBP's display was good until I plugged in the LG: it's a lovely display and I'm already seeing much more quality in my own photos (in Lightroom). I look forward to seeing an objective test of it but I'm subjectively impressed.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 13
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ^^^ Thanks for the real-world report. I suspected they knew what they were doing with the keyboard sound. (Haven't got mine yet.)
  • Reply 10 of 13
    flaneur said:
    rune66 said:
    First, the sound is not that loud. The video exaggerates it in the recording process itself.

Second, it's there for a reason, as part of a tactile-auditory feedback "mechanism" to improve accuracy and, unconsciously, satisfaction. Go to the store and try it.
    I did indeed try it in a shop. I was very negatively surprised about how loud it was.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    rune66 said:
    flaneur said:
    rune66 said:

I did indeed try it in a shop. I was very negatively surprised about how loud it was.
    Complaining complaining ... 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    And for Appex, the LG Ultrafine 4K is about the same level of glossy as the MBP's own display. I thought the MBP's display was good until I plugged in the LG: it's a lovely display and I'm already seeing much more quality in my own photos (in Lightroom). I look forward to seeing an objective test of it but I'm subjectively impressed.
    Thanks. Is it the same level of glossy as the iMac (late 2012)? What about the LG UltraFine 5K?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I have had the new laptop for a week now.  Like many here, I was not well disposed to the keyboard.

But let me tell you, it is GREAT.  Best keyboard ever.  I am sure my speed and accuracy have improved !

Still wish the sound were a little less, but as someone said above, that may be part of the tactile feedback necessary for true accuracy.  We will see.

The keyboard is a sleeper.

spheric