Apple posts 'Designed by Apple in California' promo video to YouTube

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Tuesday posted the promotional video for its new "Designed by Apple in California" monograph, originally viewable via an embedded player on its website, to the company's official YouTube channel.

As seen below, the video features Apple SDO Jony Ive discussing the design process, or more specifically how the operation works in Cupertino. From conception to internal discourse amongst the team to modeling and prototyping, Ive breaks down what "design" means at Apple.

Interspersed throughout the short promo are shots of Apple's design lab. The highly secretive facility has made its way into the public eye in past media reports, but the new video is unique in that employees are shown at their respective stations working on various projects.

Today's repost to YouTube comes one month after Apple announced the release of "Designed by Apple in California," a book chronicling 20 years of design through 450 high quality photographs of Apple products. A version of the original Ive commentary uploaded to YouTube by Japanese design magazine Casa BRUTUS has already logged 330,000 views.

"Designed by Apple in California" is available from Apple's online and brick-and-mortar stores in two sizes, a small (10.20" x 12.75") version for $199 and large (13" x 16.25") edition for $299.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    "we listen" nope you dont... "we keep our head down and focus on work "... nope your head is up in the clouds... if you did the above 2 .. 2015 and 2016 would not have been the the most embaressing, frustrating years packed with half baked products... and some real poor design solutions. ... effecting Apple's image quite negativly !
    edited December 2016 twa440
  • Reply 2 of 4
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    nice proto shop - lucky dogs (green eyes monster on my shoulder). 
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I'm certain that Californians are very proud of all the great things they have accomplished and all the great stuff they have come up with. I congratulate them. But when I see "Made in California", it doesn't mean much of anything.

I'm from Texas and I'm proud of many things (not counting, of course, all the stupidity and nonsense from the obnoxious 48% - the other 13.6 million are nice people). Among many other things, Apple has a strong tech presence in Texas, but I wouldn't label anything as "Made in Texas" as if this were something special, because it is not a point of pride for anyone except a Texan. The same thing goes for "Made in California".

I love California as much as anyone, but if something is made within a certain geographic area, this doesn't mean that it is better or more important that a product manufactured in Ohio, Montana, Louisiana, Texas, Maine, or anywhere else.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    "we listen" nope you dont... "we keep our head down and focus on work "... nope your head is up in the clouds... if you did the above 2 .. 2015 and 2016 would not have been the the most embaressing, frustrating years packed with half baked products... and some real poor design solutions. ... effecting Apple's image quite negativly !
    I'm pretty damn happy with my 2016 MacBook Pro. Nothing about it feels "half-baked". It is significantly faster under sustained loads than the 2015 model, and it is extremely quiet and doesn't get hot. Maybe I'm an outlier, but I really don't see reason to complain. At least not about Apple.
    edited December 2016 watto_cobrakamilton