Apple wants to be known as a services company, says Gene Munster in farewell note

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    volcan said:
    volcan said:
    Software development requires version control. Until you can use Git and SVN on iOS…
    But why couldn’t that be done? Think about something along the lines of Versions, in OS X already, where the Save command has been changed to “create a version” that you can go back and peruse. You can’t imagine an iOS Pages-style layout of your files where you’d touch just one and be able to see all the past versions of it?
    Oh it could be done, but it wouldn't be Xcode, because that is not how Xcode works. Besides you really need access to the file system for all your resources. Also, having the ability to create compiled executables on iOS is the last thing Apple wants. Hiding all that was the principle reason they created iOS in the way they did - for maximum security.

Here's what I setup for my granddaughter to learn Swift on her MB (This image is from my iMac 27):

The 2 main players are the training video and the Xcode file (in this case a playground).  Also open on the desktop are github and the SourceTree Mac app to maintain local repos of the source code.  When you run an app, you also have a window for the iOS Simulator or the Mac app

As to the iPad capability -- I wonder if Apple is being pressured for a more robust iPad interface (especially the iPad Pro):

• from IBM for Pro Swift developers
    • from Pro Artists,  AV Creatives, Writers and content creators
    • form the early acceptance of the TouchBar on the new MacBook
    • from watching the acceptance of the revised MS Surface offerings

There may be a convergence of needs somewhere between the necessary lock-down of iPhone iOS and the free-for-all openness of macOS.

Let's just call it proOS.  It would be a new approach, going forward without the legacy baggage of the past.
    It would provide robust stand-alone capabilities on the iPad for Artists,  AV Creatives, Writers and content creators.  
    It would treat the iPad as an equal player when attached to a Mac as a second screen, graphics [tablet] I/O [Photoshop] or touch I/O [Resolve, FCP, Logic].

For the developer you would be able to write, compile and run apps for Mac, iDevices and backend [server] services -- all on the iPad.

Likely, proOS would be written entirely in Swift and have an open[er] File System, enhanced MultiTasking, CLI !

Farfetched?  Maybe not so much.

Here's an example of an iPad Pro 12.9" running a Split Screen with 2 apps (actually 3  if you consider the on-screen kb):

On the left, we're watching a video course "How to Make a Freaking iPhone App - iOS 10 and Swift 3".  https://www.udemy.com/how-to-make-a-freaking-iphone-app-ios-10-swift-3-xcode-8/

On the right, we're using the iPad Playgrounds app.

On the bottom we have the Playgrounds on-screen kb -- a smart kb that is aware of Swift and customizes itself (LIFO) to what the user enters (vars, funcs, etc.).

It is somewhat kludgey, but, for Playgrounds at least it is roughly equivalent to running an Xcode Playground on the Mac.

With not too much engineering Apple could implement the necessary capabilities into proOS so that 
    as a  developer you would be able to write, compile and run apps for Mac, iDevices and backend [server] services -- all on the iPad.

Just MHO!
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 42 of 43
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member

Of course it is far fetched. Apple does not want to make iOS into a software development platform. It is contrary to all their foundational principles. iOS is about comsumers and business users not enabling delvelopers to use iOS instead of macOS. If you want to develop for iOS you need a Mac. End of story.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 43 of 43
    volcan said:

Of course it is far fetched. Apple does not want to make iOS into a software development platform. It is contrary to all their foundational principles. iOS is about comsumers and business users not enabling delvelopers to use iOS instead of macOS. If you want to develop for iOS you need a Mac. End of story.

I wasn't talking about making iOS into a software development platform -- rather creating an intermediate OS to exploit the capabilities of the iPad.

We'll have to see how this plays out.

edited December 2016