SteelSeries limited edition Nimbus White game controller exclusive to Apple Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Gaming accessory maker SteelSeries has rolled out a limited edition of its Bluetooth Nimbus game controller for the Mac, iOS devices, and the Apple TV -- the Nimbus White.

As with the previous version of the SteelSeries Nimbus, the Nimbus White is compatible with more than 2.000 Apple TV games, and can control the Apple TV as well.

The rechargeable battery lasts for 40 hours of active use, and is charged with a Lightning connector. Connectivity is provided though Bluetooth 4.1.

AppleInsider previously reviewed the SteelSeries Nimbus, calling it the "best iOS-compatible gaming controller we've ever tested" and the obvious answer to Apple TV gaming.

The controller is compatible with the iPad third generation and newer, the iPod Touch fifth generation and sixth generation, the fourth generation Apple TV, and the iPhone 4s and newer.

The SteelSeries Nimbus White Gaming Controller is now?available exclusively at Apple.com?and Apple?Stores?for $49.95

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Really glad AI brought this one up. This is the finest example of Apple's totally mismanaged MFi strategy. I own this controller and as such it's a really great product, there's just one problem with it - hardly any apps support the MFi standard. Steelseries even has a dedicated app for iOS, where you can see all the latest apps that gained MFi/Nimbus support, but guess what - this app was last updated in July 2016, no new games since then. The reason is very obvious I guess - as long as Apple doesn't make it a requirement for developers to include MFi controller support in their apps, they simply won't do it. Why would they even bother, right? In case of the Apple TV, Apple at least required devs to include support for the Siri remote, which wasn't the best decision to begin with, but it was at least some standard. Later on Apple decided to remove this requirement, hoping that it will attract more devs (which it didn't for a variety of reasons and the ATV still feels rather abandoned) and now there's no controlder standard whatsoever. So yes, the Nimbus gamepad has some great potential and is probably the best solution for Apple devices out there, unfortunately it doesn't look like this potential will be fully utilized anytime soon.
    dysamoriafirelock[Deleted User]
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Hmm...that's weird. Whatever games so far I've tried and downloaded from Apple TV app store seemed to work with my Nimbus. It was a DuckTales game and some other one now that I can't remember...some blob like thing that kept getting squashed. Anyway, I didn't realize this was an issue...well, give it some time I guess until more games with controller support appear. I will say, not sure why the Apple TV isn't becoming more of a gaming thing...with that Nimbus and Apple TV it really plays nice. I wanted to see if any of the older GTA games where out on the Apple TV and I wanted to try my Nimbus with them.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The Siri remote could be better and they need to open the remote Lightning port to 3rd parties!!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    cali said:
    The Siri remote could be better and they need to open the remote Lightning port to 3rd parties!!
    For what?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    crowley said:
    cali said:
    For what?
    For analog stick and extra button support plus The Apple TV accessory market would explode like the Wii days.

then again they could release a Bluetooth thumb stick instead.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I agree that the Nimbus is a very good controller, and I also find that app support for it is lacking on Apple TV. Apple should require Mfi support for games on the Apple TV and also sell Apple TV game bundles that include this controller. For example, both Lara Croft Go and Hitman Go were released recently on Apple TV. While I played these extensively on my iPad, I find that playing them on the big screen adds a new degree of enjoyment. Both apps do not support the Nimbus, and so you have to play them with just the ATV controller. For whatever reason I find the controls in Lara Croft Go to be a little finicky, and I sometimes mis-swipe and get killed so I have to start a level over. Hitman seems to work fine. This is where having required Nimbus controller support would help.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    cali said:
    crowley said:
    cali said:
    For what?
    For analog stick and extra button support plus The Apple TV accessory market would explode like the Wii days.

then again they could release a Bluetooth thumb stick instead.
    Ugh, just buy a proper controller.  Confusing appendages and further fractured inputs is one thing the AppleTV ecosystem definitely doesn't need.