New router attack altering DNS settings, stealing ad traffic from infected users

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    macxpress said:

Just as an FYI...Linksys is no longer owned by Cisco. They were sold to Belkin back in 2013. Cisco didn't really do anything for the Linksys brand IMO...they kinda ruined them a little. The only started to be good again when they were sold to Belkin. 
    Good to know. All the more reason to not include Linksys in the list of junk routers.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    So they mentioned Chrome being used to identify the router. No mention of whether this is only possible through Chrome, and that if you were using Firefox or Edge that it wouldn't work? Why mention only Chrome and not further qualify there statements by talking about other browsers?
    Good point...  But I avoid Chrome anyway as I consider Google to be just another hacker of my information.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    So they mentioned Chrome being used to identify the router. No mention of whether this is only possible through Chrome, and that if you were using Firefox or Edge that it wouldn't work? Why mention only Chrome and not further qualify there statements by talking about other browsers?
    Good point...  But I avoid Chrome anyway as I consider Google to be just another hacker of my information.
    As the researchers mentioned it's not anything wrong with Google Chrome. DNSChanger has been used on other browsers going back to at least 2012  2007 (!), including yes Safari, to spoof a legitimate website with a fake one. The reason this new round is  different is that unlike in the past where the browser was the target instead they're using router flaws.

EDIT: Reading some older articles it looks like your router has been involved before. 
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-get-dnschanger-out-of-your-router/
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 24 of 24
    Not sure this is related but new Airport/Time Capsule updates have dropped. Every one I have on my network from Extreme version 1 to version 6 are updated as well as the Express.   Anyone know what's in them?