Minecraft comes to Apple TV with 7 pieces of downloadable content for $20

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The Apple TV edition of popular world building game Minecraft is now available to purchase on the tvOS App Store, and it includes the newly released Ender Update, along with a number of other downloadable content.

All 7 pieces of DLC are included in the $19.99 price, including the Holiday 2015, Town Folk, and City Folk skin packs, as well as the Plastic, Natural, Cartoon, and Festive 2016 mash-ups.

The new Ender Update is also available for free to Minecraft Pocket players on iOS, while the new Festive Mash-Up Pack 2016 can be purchased to add on for $3.99.

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook first announced in October that Minecraft was coming to the fourth-generation Apple TV before the end of 2016. It made that deadline on Monday with less than two weeks to go in the year.

Minecraft was first released in 2009 and was ultimately purchased by Microsoft in September of 2014. The game allows players to build in a procedurally generated world either in a game-oriented survival mode, or in a free-build mode with no constraints on materials.

Minecraft is also available for Mac for $26.95, or on iOS for $6.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Cool. I'm interested in the details. Multiplayer? Controller required? My son will be ecstatic just because it exists, not sure if we'll buy. ... looks like Realms and XBox Live accounts aren't supported yet. Hmm...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    This game is so addictive and has a very negative impact,  I do not allow my kids to play it anymore.  Actually it would be nice if Apple gives us an option to surpress it on the App store completely.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 3 of 9
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    A game that allows kids to collaboratively build worlds in imaginative ways has a "very negative impact"?  Compared to what?  Gears of War?

This is like saying Legos have a very negative impact...
    jSnivelysingularityboltsfan17tallest skildasanman69williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 9
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Maybe they are concerned their kids are becoming interested in the grubby worlds of construction and engineering when they should be interested in something noble like journalism or politics.
    edited December 2016 singularitytallest skilwatto_cobraapplepieguy
  • Reply 5 of 9
    entropys said:
    Maybe they are concerned their kids are becoming interested in the grubby worlds of construction and engineering when they should be interested in something noble like journalism or politics.
    I went into journalism (print; broadcast journalism is an oxymoron) because I wanted to at least do no harm to society in my job, and potentially do some good. Twenty-three years later, 19 as editor of small-town paper of sorts, I'm fairly sure I've at least done no harm. Course, it's hard to do much harm when the news staff has been pared from six to just me.

Gone 10-plus years without a raise, but fortunately, my teacher wife supports my journalism habit.

(Minecraft! We're now back on topic.)
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ben20 said:
    This game is so addictive and has a very negative impact,  I do not allow my kids to play it anymore.  Actually it would be nice if Apple gives us an option to surpress it on the App store completely.
    I don't allow my kids to play it either. Using your imagination to build things is awful for children. Now, my kids play Grand Theft Auto 5 to avoid the negative impact of Minecraft. 
    tallest skildasanman69watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Cool. I'm interested in the details. Multiplayer? Controller required? My son will be ecstatic just because it exists, not sure if we'll buy. ... looks like Realms and XBox Live accounts aren't supported yet. Hmm...
    The developers said Realms and Xbox Live support will be coming. I would assume you need a controller to play. It seems like it would be pretty difficult to play with the Apple TV remote. 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    nht said:
    A game that allows kids to collaboratively build worlds in imaginative ways has a "very negative impact"?  Compared to what?  Gears of War?

To be fair, Lego has a very negative impact on my wallet...
    nhtsingularityboltsfan17
  • Reply 9 of 9
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    nht said:

To be fair, Lego has a very negative impact on my wallet...
    Okay, mine too.  Especially now that they do First Lego League...
    singularity