Apple adds TBS & TNT to Siri live tune-in on Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has quietly updated the fourth-generation Apple TV with support for two more live tune-in options, TBS and TNT, while also adding new universal search entries for Norway and Sweden.

American Apple TV owners updated to at least tvOS 9.2 can now use Siri to jump directly into live TBS and TNT broadcasts. The change brings the total number of apps supporting the feature up to 17, some other examples being ESPN, NHL, FXNow, and several Disney/ABC channels.

Live tune-in is still restricted to the U.S., despite a number of apps offering live streams to international viewers.

The added universal search options include Sweden's SVT Play, and Norway's NRK TV and TV 2 Sumo. Previously, results in those countries were limited to Netflix content and movies on iTunes.

Universal search helps identify installed apps that host a particular movie or show when searching for titles via text or Siri, in some cases offering details like which seasons are available. Apple's support has so far been vastly weighted toward the U.S. -- while dozens of services are listed for American viewers, the next-best supported country, Australia, has just seven services with iTunes included.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Personally, I don't feel like Live Tune In - Siri Search - TV App - Single Sign On are connected at all. These are all meant to compliment each other and complete an experience, and they seem like utterly disconnected, unaware, proprietary features that I can't possibly keep track of.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Personally, I don't feel like Live Tune In - Siri Search - TV App - Single Sign On are connected at all. These are all meant to compliment each other and complete an experience, and they seem like utterly disconnected, unaware, proprietary features that I can't possibly keep track of.
    I can search for a show with Siri, and Universal Search directs me to a TV Everywhere app where I can watch the show, and thanks to Single Sign-On I'm already signed in, and after watching an episode the show gets added to the Watch Now list in the TV App and lets me know when there is a new episode to watch. Seems pretty connected to me.
    StrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 3 of 4
    i haven't had a problem with integration.

one thing that it doesnt seem to be doing tho is auto-adding new episodes of my iTunes season pass shows to TV's Watch Now. id kind of expect it to do that. for some reason i have a lot of trouble with Apple TV taking me to older seasons of my shows when i tap the show's icon. and it's too hard to find the actual current episode when it's tucked in between all the crappy 2-minute promos that i rarely watch. so that could use some improvement.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    For TNT to roll out this feature only to bring you to a screen stating you have to connect your account since they do not support single sign on yet is crazy and frustrating. Apple needs to command that these apps all support these features to bring the best experience to the customer.