Apple predicted to post best holiday quarter revenue ever on strong iPhone 7 sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    brucemc said:
    A few other points to consider as well:
    - Record high revenue despite the USD being at its strongest point in about 14-15 years (which makes Apple products much more expensive in other markets, and dampens demand somewhat).
    - Apple continues to build its installed base.  I think it was Above Avalon that did some calculations to show that Apple grew its iPhone user base over 100M subs in FY 2016.  And no doubt that continues until today.  It is that growth of the installed base, driven by great products, which is allowing Apple to grow their services revenue so much.  And most of those new users will upgrade in the future.
    - The AirPods are surprising on the upside with more units being sold than estimated I would say.

iPads probably will shrink with no new updates, but at the same time as the installed base gets older, there will be more natural upgrades.  My wife's needed replacement (4 year old with broken screen), so I went with the iPad Air 2 (she doesn't need the features of the 9.7" Pro).  Similarly, I bought one for my mother on her 80th birthday - first computer product she has ever had.  Point here is that even without updates, I needed to buy two new iPads as gifts, and while I would rather have had an "iPad Air 3", the $399 iPad Air 2 was what got the orders (what else would I buy them that works as well? - they are very fast all of the required tasks).
    Nice... :)

I also forgot..."Best in Class" tablet: iPads.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Rayz2016 said:
    altivec88 said:
    Huh? I thought so.

"Best in class" MacBook, Apple enjoys ~98% of Market Share of laptops over $1,000.

"Best in class" MacBook Pro

"Best in class" Apple Watch...within 8 months of it's debut, it was second to only Rolex as far a income generation.

"Best in class" desktops.

"Best in class" OS.

"Best in class" iOS. Just ask MS, RIM, Nokia, etc., etc.

"Best in class" mobile phone....ask Samsung!

"Best in class" Free software included w/ every device.

Most popular camera in the world.

Most popular video camera in the world (I think that's right?).

Best Music SW. iTunes.

Best TV interface. AppleTV.

Best Stores: Apple Store generate more sales $'s per sq/ft than Tiffany's.

Highest Customer Sat., in the ~90%+

Best.

Best in class desktops?   Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.   are you being sarcastic, because that's a good one?  Ha ha ha 
    It's entirely possible that you're not in Apple's target market. 

You might have have been at one point, but then you got set in your ways, and now you're not. 
    What does making the claim "best in class desktops" have to do with me?  It either is or it isn't.   I guess you agree that the 3+ year old MacPro is best in class,  or that the archaic mac mini with its 5400 rpm drive are best in class?   Just because you don't care that they don't update their hardware and that you happen to be in take what ever Apple feeds you target market, it does not equate to "best in class" just because you say so.
    singularity
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Huh? I thought so.

"Best in class" MacBook, Apple enjoys ~98% of Market Share of laptops over $1,000.

"Best in class" Apple Watch...within 8 months of it's debut, it was second to only Rolex as far a income generation.

"Best in class" OS.

"Best in class" mobile phone....ask Samsung! :)

Best Music SW. iTunes.

Best.

You forgot:

Apple Pay -  Zoomed past Samsung, Google and others to now have more than 75% of all contactless pay transactions in US

Wireless headphones market - Apple now is the largest seller of wireless headphones in the world

Premium headphone market - Apple now has more than 60% of the entire premium headphone market in the world

Cellular phone market -- Apple now is earning more than 90% of the entire industry's profits

calischlackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 45
    brucemc said:

iPads probably will shrink with no new updates, but at the same time as the installed base gets older, there will be more natural upgrades.  My wife's needed replacement (4 year old with broken screen), so I went with the iPad Air 2 (she doesn't need the features of the 9.7" Pro).  Similarly, I bought one for my mother on her 80th birthday - first computer product she has ever had.  Point here is that even without updates, I needed to buy two new iPads as gifts, and while I would rather have had an "iPad Air 3", the $399 iPad Air 2 was what got the orders (what else would I buy them that works as well? - they are very fast all of the required tasks).
    I'm suspecting [hoping] that an early 2017 iPad Pro will drop with a new SOC (A10X?, A11X?) that is much more robust than those in current iPads. Ideally it would have capabilities similar to a MBP, but with Touch and KB/Touchpad UIs.

The new 15 inch MacBook Pro has:

• 15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology
    • 2880-by-1800 native resolution at 220 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors

The current 12.9" iPad Pro Display has:

• 12.9-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display
    • 2732-by-2048 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)

So, the iPad has the same (if not better) display real estate.  If Apple were to eliminate the bezels on the 12.9" iPad, it would have 14.3" diagonal measurement and, likely greater display real estate than any current Apple Laptop.

Likely, the new iPad Pro would use an OS somewhere between iOS and macOS -- a variant of iOS/tvOS specifically designed to provide features needed for Pro: software developing, AV Editing, CAD/Drafting, Drawing/Painting, Writing...

I've advocated this on several other forums and AI Threads, because I think it is a very natural and obvious evolution of the iPad Pro.

edited December 2016 apple jockey
  • Reply 25 of 45
    altivec88 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    altivec88 said:
    Huh? I thought so.

"Best in class" OS.

"Best in class" mobile phone....ask Samsung!

Best Music SW. iTunes.

Best.

Best in class desktops?   Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.   are you being sarcastic, because that's a good one?  Ha ha ha 

You might have have been at one point, but then you got set in your ways, and now you're not. 
    What does making the claim "best in class desktops" have to do with me?  It either is or it isn't.   I guess you agree that the 3+ year old MacPro is best in class,  or that the archaic mac mini with its 5400 rpm drive are best in class?   Just because you don't care that they don't update their hardware and that you happen to be in take what ever Apple feeds you target market, it does not equate to "best in class" just because you say so.
    Ok...it's in need of an update. :)

• Reply 26 of 45
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    lkrupp said:
    Apple could beat its quarterly record for revenue set at this time last year, on the strength of the iPhone, increased Mac sales, and services, one analyst believes. But that growth could also be at the cost of 2017 expansion and a soft “iPhone 8” demand.
    Perpetually doomed! Gimme a break. First analysts predicted the iPhone 7 would flop because it wasn’t much different than the iPhone 6. It would also flop because of the headphone jack being removed, a prediction confirmed by the chronically bitching haters right here on AI. Okay, so fast forward and the iPhone 7 could produce the best ever holiday revenue, leaving analysts and AI based haters with massive amounts of egg on their faces. What is their reaction? Why to predict all this success will kill sales of the iPhone 8 of course. See what I mean by “perpetually doomed”? Apple can’t win... EVER.
    You are reacting to two cases of speculation. Nothing actually real. I would wait for the earnings call.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Analyst 101: say something the opposite of obvious, and your name will be guaranteed on every single publications. if it is positive (Apple), spin it into negative. If it is negative (Amazon), spin it into positive. Your name will be famous, popular and everybody will know you. Whether they like you or hate you it's another matter.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 45
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

jungmark said:
    Apple can't win with these analyst morons. A record breaking qtr spells doom for future quarters. A "typical" Apple qtr spells doom for Apple now. 

Analyst are analysts for a reason: they failed to run their own businesses. 
    Funny anecdote to relate here. I was a member of my local Rotary Club many years ago. Rotary Clubs consist mainly of businessmen and professionals. Anyway we had a member who was a business professor at SIUE (Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville). As a project he decided to start and run his own business, a sports bar, to demonstrate to his students how business actually works. His business failed within the first year. 
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Notsofast said:
    Huh? I thought so.

"Best in class" OS.

Best Music SW. iTunes.

Best.

You forgot:

Apple Pay -  Zoomed past Samsung, Google and others to now have more than 75% of all contactless pay transactions in US

Wireless headphones market - Apple now is the largest seller of wireless headphones in the world

Premium headphone market - Apple now has more than 60% of the entire premium headphone market in the world

Cellular phone market -- Apple now is earning more than 90% of the entire industry's profits

Yep...thanks. Also, "Best in Class" Browser. Safari
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 45
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sog35 said:
    Huh? I thought so.

"Best in class" OS.

Best Music SW. iTunes.

Best.

still doomed.....next year...or year after that.....or next decade

if you believe the shit head Wall street media.
    I think Asshats is a more appropriate term to describe Wall Street media.

asshat |ˈashat| noun North American vulgar slang, a stupid or contemptible person.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    lkrupp said:

Funny anecdote to relate here. I was a member of my local Rotary Club many years ago. Rotary Clubs consist mainly of businessmen and professionals. Anyway we had a member who was a business professor at SIUE (Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville). As a project he decided to start and run his own business, a sports bar, to demonstrate to his students how business actually works. His business failed within the first year. 
    An old joke:

A man suggested to a friend that he would benefit by joining one of the various clubs available.

A frustrating week later, the friend reported:
    1) Yesterday, my application to the Knights Of Columbus was denied because I professed to be non-religous...

2) Today, my application to the Masons was denied because I professed to be a staunch Catholic...

Well, I'll be a son-of-a-bitch!

The man told his friend:  If you put that last in writing -- I think I can get you into the Lyons Club!

edited December 2016
  • Reply 32 of 45
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    lkrupp said:

jungmark said:
    Apple can't win with these analyst morons. A record breaking qtr spells doom for future quarters. A "typical" Apple qtr spells doom for Apple now. 

Analyst are analysts for a reason: they failed to run their own businesses. 
    Hahaha! Fantastic...
  • Reply 33 of 45
    $850 for a smartphone? What are they smoking over there in Cupertino?
  • Reply 34 of 45
    At $869-$969 for the Jet Plus -- "I think we, Apple, have a winner!"

Or iPaaS: $41.58/mo-$45.75/mo

edited December 2016
  • Reply 35 of 45
    fallenjt said:
    This seems to happen at this time of year every year. IF (and that is a big IF) Apple are reducing orders they will be for March Delivery onwards. Sorta makes sense that 6 months after release the volume of sales will drop when compared to the launch period.

Move along there, nothing to see.

The People who talk out of their backside need to generate stories to get hits on their sites in order to get Ad revenue.

Good point. Apple news gets hits. And negative news gets hits. Apple + negative news = lots of hits. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 45
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    altivec88 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    altivec88 said:

The iMacs are best in class for its desktop category (AIO).  The mini and pro are no longer best in class and in need of an update but the statement is still true.  Apple does have best in class AIO desktops whether you measure in terms of profit, unit sales, customer satisfaction or reviews.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Ahhh, but there is a whole market of millions of people who would pay way more than that, say $1,500, if the value was there. Apple might actually be smart to drop a $1,200 or $1,500 phone for halo effect. As long as the value was there. 
  • Reply 38 of 45
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    If the rumors are true, they'll likely call two models the 7s and 7s Plus, but maybe they'll simply go back to their roots and call the high end model iPhone.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    sog35 said:
    Those putzes are saying this after everyone called the iPhone 7 one of the most boring smartphones Apple has ever made. I've seen a fair number of rants on how the iPhone 7 is worse than Android smartphones at half the price. The buzz had been how consumers refuse to buy any Apple product which lacks innovation. /s What really puzzles me is how Apple continues to open new retail stores around the world despite the claim that "almost no one" is buying Apple products. Does that sort of strategy make any sense at all for a company? I would think Apple executives would realize it would be pointless to do if there was no demand for new stores. I do remember at one point there were Starbucks stores on almost every corner and Wall Street had claimed Starbucks stores weren't doing enough business to warrant the number of stores. Is this the case with Apple? Whatever it is, Apple must be doing something wrong. I still believe investors are shunning Apple to put their money into the FANG stocks and even worse, Microsoft. Investors believe they can get more bang for their buck in almost any other tech company than they can from Apple. All I know is that it's a very frustrating situation for Apple shareholders having to watch every other major tech stock make gains while Apple stock makes almost no gains at all.
    patience

we see $150 next year and $200 in a couple of years
    Says the man who promised us $150 by last dec 31st and said that if it didn't get there hew would leave Apple insider. You have NO CREDIBILITY WHAT SO EVER

singularitywatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 45
    You are like that other moron who said the original iPhone would not sell for $500, oh yeah he used to be the CEO of Mircrosoft. (which is why he was fired). Wait the Pixel retails for prices start at $649 when bought direct from the Google Store. That's for a 32GB handset, with prices rising to $749.  The samsung Galaxy S7 retails for $680 and $780 not  that much cheaper. So again your silly little opinion is absurd. Given That iPhone makes 90% of all the smart phone profits , they can justify a slight premium and still outsells  the competition and has the added perceived advantage it doesn't explode either even though it was the note that exploded. The price difference is negligible when paid off over 2 years anyhow which again makes your comment stupid
    edited December 2016 watto_cobra