AirPods selling out as quickly as they arrive at retail, Apple shipping orders faster than expected.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sog35 said:
    But, but, but, but, no one wants them.

they look so UGLY....sound quality sucks. You will lose them. fall out of your ear....

too expensive. 

Stupid ass Tech media don't know shit
    Because its not "Tech Media". Its a bunch of dorks that wish they had the talent to actually work for a technology company, but are instead stuck writing about it...so instead of honest journalism, they use their platform to put forward their "ideas" on what technology companies should do...which is pathetic and amateur...and then are constantly at a loss for explaining why they were completely wrong about everything. Again. And again.
    And that’s the problem with the Internet. Any swinging dick can hang out their shingle and claim to be a journalist with no credentials  at all. This is also why we now have the problem of fake news. Actually fake news has been around for millennia, we just called it propaganda back then. The Internet has just amplified fake news. Notice we haven’t heard a peep out of the AirPod naysayers yet.
    mac_128lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    We can also enjoy a GIF of actual, real journalist Jason Snell shaking his head back and forth to prove the AirPods don’t fall out your ears.
    https://sixcolors.com
    mac_128lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 36
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    mike1 said:
    And most forecasts show this one product adding several billion dollars of revenue to Apple.  That's amazing for a single new product.
    That's ROUGHLY 6.3 million units per billion dollars of revenue. (1B/159). They sell to dealers for a little less, but close enough. They also make more margin on every direct sale versus selling through an authorized reseller.
    I've stated a couple of times here that Apple will generate more revenue from AirPods than MS will from Surface. No way I'll ever be able to prove it but someone will come up with sales figures for AirPods. I'm guessing that Apple would need to sell something like 5 m units /quarter to do that. 
    Metriacanthosaurusmac_128lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 36
    blastdoor said:
    There's a lot to like about these, but the overall sense I get from reviews is that sound quality falls noticeably short of Bose wireless products.

So then it's really a tradeoff between audio quality and UI elegance. That's a tough choice because both are important. 

I'm leaning towards Bose, myself, but I can understand why people would pick the AirPods. 
    I bet they are spec-ed and tuned to sound exactly the same as Earpods, so all this audio quality stuff is nonsense. New Beats, with same W1 and same DAC (?) is tuned to sound like "Beats", if you don't like it - use EQ, or go for third party headsets.
    mac_128
  • Reply 25 of 36
    I have used mine for about 4 days now.  I was first surprised by how small the case was.  It is sleek and well built.  As described the pairing process is second to none.  The pods are comfortable and feel great with no cord to mess with.  The sound is great.  Double tap and ask Siri to play anything...very cool and very Star Trek like.  I found the distance to be good but not outstanding.  For how I use them they are great.  But if you expect to use them all over the house upstairs and downstairs you may be disappointed as the sound will break up once you get a wall or 2 between you and the source.  An absolute great product and IMO a great innovation.  Completely changes the user experience.  Well done.
    StrangeDaysalbegarcmike1brucemclolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 36
    I especially like the snarky bullshit video "review" put together by that firefox that writes for Macrumors, where he obviously likes them, wants to hate them, and makes sarcastic comments about how they are obviously not the best sounding things you could buy (no shit), and how they have no buttons on them.

Did it ever occur to anyone that buttons on the bluetooth buds has always been a terrible idea, because the very action of touching them dislodges them from your ears? Whereas a double tap is a subtle reinforcement that keeps them pushed in? I've never used the buttons on any pair of bluetooth earbuds because its just ridiculously awkward. Much easier to just use the device itself. I've also never liked having to Press and Hold a button on lanyard to activate Siri...yet another thing Apple got right with AirPods.
    edited December 2016 tmayStrangeDaysmac_128lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 36
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Where is @rogifan_new to tell us again why Apple releasing these before Christmas without enough stock so that they would never sell out was such a bad idea.

Or how Apple just screwed it all up no matter which way you put it - that Jeff Williams needs to go back to COO school.

Or some other rant as to why this was all Eddy Cue's fault.

Oh well, I guess poor old Apple will just have to settle for selling millions of units and delighting customers with a product that "actual users" are all saying is magical.
    tmayStrangeDaysmike1mac_128SleepySheeplolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Let's hope they're sufficiently water resistant so that if your dog eats them, there might be a chance for eventual recovery and reuse, after a thorough washing, of course.
    They appear very water resistant:

• Reply 29 of 36
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    But, but, but, but, no one wants them.

they look so UGLY....sound quality sucks. You will lose them. fall out of your ear....

too expensive. 

Stupid ass Tech media don't know shit
    Because its not "Tech Media". Its a bunch of dorks that wish they had the talent to actually work for a technology company, but are instead stuck writing about it...so instead of honest journalism, they use their platform to put forward their "ideas" on what technology companies should do...which is pathetic and amateur...and then are constantly at a loss for explaining why they were completely wrong about everything. Again. And again.
    Can you imagine the click revenue these crapsites  could make if they could just… somehow… force Apple into bankruptcy. They could all churn out the same analysis article for years. 
    mac_128
  • Reply 30 of 36
    OldJamesOldJames Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I got lucky yesterday and reserved for in store pickup, when I got there they said they were all sold within 10 minutes.
    albegarcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 36
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    mike1 said:
    And most forecasts show this one product adding several billion dollars of revenue to Apple.  That's amazing for a single new product.
    That's ROUGHLY 6.3 million units per billion dollars of revenue. (1B/159). They sell to dealers for a little less, but close enough. They also make more margin on every direct sale versus selling through an authorized reseller.

to put that number in perspective, that means 2.9% of FY2016 iPhone buyers purchase a set of AirPods as well. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Mine arrived 2 days earlier than the predicted date - absolutely awesome product, has the 'magical' feel to it when you realize they do fit securely, are so light and comfortable you could forget you are wearing them and there is this big sound seemingly out of nowhere - a product that arrived sooner than expected and is better quality and better performance than I expected.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 36
    It's been said Amazon has sold about 5 million Echos ($139) over a period of a couple of years and Wall Street is constantly praising how it's been such a highly successful product for the company. I'm willing to bet if Apple sells 5 million AirPods in a couple of months, Wall Street will claim it's a failure as a product. I can't wait to see how the news media and analysts turn selling millions of AirPods into an Apple loss. It won't be unusual because almost all Apple products nowadays are said to be disappointments or failures even if they sell moderately well. Apple really has a Dow Curse it just can't seem to shake off.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 36
    sog35 said:
    Too expensive
    Looks stupid
    Sound quality sucks
    You will lose them
    They will fall out of your ear
    No one wants to recharge 
    Only 5 hour battery life
    Did I mention they look stupid?

This is all the shit cakes the stupid ass tech media has spewing the last 2 months.  Same with Wall Street dumb asses.

Now they have that shit cake they baked all of over their collective faces.

And in 12 months they will be fawning over the Samsung Airbuds that will look EXACTLY like the Airpods.

Apple is stuck in a no-win situation with all of its products. There are always these advance claims about how some specific Apple product is going to immediately become a failed product before even one unit reaches consumers. Analysts and the tech critics are always pessimistic about Apple products. If there's a similar product from another company, that company will be praised to high heaven. I'm not sure how Apple got into such a bad position, but it's really quite discouraging to be an Apple shareholder.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 36
    woot -- my local apple store had a copy! day after christmas, amazing. they said they must have come in today. can't wait to put em thru the paces. 

my original launch day order arrives tomorrow. two pairs, both before end of year. definitely wouldn't have made sense for Apple to sit on the inventory until some point next year just to be able to fulfill more orders at once!