Make your new iPhone or iPad work harder with five of the best productivity apps

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    paxman said:
    bendansby said:
    Why use 1Password when iCloud Keychain is built into Safari and is automatically on all your devices?
    I do use iCloud Keychain but I can't find where to store my bank details, Drivers licence info etc etc, - so I use both. 
    Not to mention your secret questions/answers and other details about a login like your email address notes, customer number; and sections like identities, passport and membership data, software licenses, electronics details, like router data and configs files. On top of that, it warns you if you're requesting to submit a username and password to an unsecured website.

They also have a very comprehensive password generator, as well as their security auditing features like Watchtower which will monitor news and SSL changes to let know when you should change a password, as well as how old your passwords are, and previously used passwords. 

They're also very good about replying to forum posters, although there are some additions I've requested that haven't yet been added. For example, a dedicated health section that will not make it easy to include vaccinations, prescriptions, etc., but also send me a notification when those are about to expire. I built my own template for this, but I still have to then input expiry dates into Calendar manually.

Another example is to log the password requirements of the most popular websites so that their password generator can work within its confines. For instance, a website my require a special character and allow several, but their password generator is an all or nothing for special characters so I find I have to manually replace the unusable special characters when creating or changing a password.

Another issue are websites that list a password minimum but not a maximum. Sometimes it won't take the password, while other times it takes it without issue but then you go to use it and it won't log you in because your 20 character password has been limited to something less, which means you need to systematically remove the last character until you find the one that works, and then alter your 1P settings as a result. Ideally I'd like websites to use a cleartext file of password requirements so that all password manager apps can adjust their auto-generated passwords to best match the website with the least amount of hassle.
    My one possible quibble with 1Password is that it is now subscription-based. Still, I can think of worse ways to spend $3 a month.
    I've seen that, as well as their family plans(?) being subscription-based. Is there no flat fee option at all? So far, I haven't paid anything extra since I bought it for Mac+Windows for, I think $25, and then iOS, I think for under $6. If they want to pay again and if they force me to a subscription model I'll pay because it's just a great resource, but I'd obviously rather not.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    I've been using 1Password since its inception without a subscription. If you check the AgileBits pricing for 1Password you'll see they still offer onetime licenses. https://1password.com/sign-up/
    Solibestkeptsecret