Absent an Apple Siri alternative, Alexa hardware family tops Amazon holiday sales charts

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,394member

k2kw said:

blastdoor said:
    altivec88 said:
    freeper said:
    As Amazon refuses to sell Apple TV (or Chromecast) products that compete with the awful Fire TV, I am not certain that an Alexa competitor by Apple would have been sold by Amazon either. 
    I agree... But some of those that wanted a home type of device like this that would have chose Apple are now in the Amazon Eco system.  Lets face it, Apple is the new Microsoft.  Big Goliath thats slow to react to anything.  They just can't walk and chew gum anymore.  They can only update the iPhones yearly, the rest of their lineup is either a nuisance and gets cancelled or just a hobby that gets updates every 3 to 4 years.  Meanwhile Tim has been talking about amazing pipelines while other companies are selling actual products.  I remember a time when the opposite was true (ahh the good old days)
    I think the period of time during which Apple successfully walked and chewed gum was actually pretty short, if by "walk and chew gum" we mean "maintain multiple product lines". 

They started off as the Apple II company. 

Then they switched to being the Mac company (seriously alienating die hard Apple II fans in the process). 

Then they became the iPod plus Mac company. That eventually worked ok, but there were some major bumps along the road -- the early 00s weren't great for the Mac (hello Cube). 

Then they became the iPhone plus Mac company. There were initially some big bumps in the road, such as the delay of Leopard. But they got things under control around the time of Snow Leopard. 

Then they became the iPhone plus iPad plus Mac company. From about 2010 to 2014, this was a golden age -- probably the best stretch in the history of the company. It had some bumps -- like Maps -- but it was clearly a golden age. 

Today Apple is trying to be the iPhone plus iPad plus Mac plus Services company, potentially with some massive new efforts in the pipeline (autonomous car; AR/VR). They are now hitting some serious bumps in the road. It's definitely a step down from the golden age, but that golden age was an outlier. 

I think Apple has serious problems, but at the same time they also have tremendous advantages and assets. They need to address their problems, and it's by no means a slam dunk that they'll do that. But I think it's do-able, and my guess is that they'll do it. It just kind of sucks right now, particularly for those of us who want to buy a new Mac Pro. 

Edit -- one point i forgot to make, though -- I don't think Apple should try competing with Echo/Alexa right now. I think their priorities should be:

1. Make the Mac great again (this is low hanging fruit -- so easy to do, and the reward will be a nice surge in Mac sales growth)
    2. Get the iPad growing again by addressing all the little things that are obstacles for education and corporate deployments (there needs to be an iCloud pro that addresses the needs of those markets better)
    3. Keep the iPhone moving forward. I think it would be better to include AirPods with every new iPhone 7s than it would be to have an OLED-screen iPhone 8. I actually think AirPods are a bigger deal than OLED screens. 
    4. Update the AppleTV to include an A10X chip, thereby making it a much more credible gaming console

Generally agree.

1.   The definitely need to get all macs update within this year with latest processors and implementations of TouchBar and TouchId.  Right now TouchBar seems 50% nice feature 50% gimmick.   It needs to be on all Mac computers including the MacPro and Mini.it needs to be ubiquitous in all mac based software.

2.  iPad needs some software love.   If you aren't an artist what reason is there to get the pro.   Maybe it's time for mouse support.

3.   We will see how their 1st quarter results are to see if the need to do something like this.

4.  Apple TV needs 4K support along with a true TV service - otherwise Cue should be canned.   top of the line CPU would be great.

Apple watch has gotten a lot of attention in the last two years.   It should wait till Sep 2018 for its next update.

Better to not due an Apple Hub unless Siri has been drastically overhauled.   Otherwise it will be a big embarrassment
    I agree with #1 and #4

I don't think a mouse for the iPad makes sense, but I agree it needs continued improvement. 

I agree with what AppleTV needs, but I'm not sure about firing Cue -- some of this stuff is beyond his control. I guess it depends on what you mean by a "true TV service." 

If a choice must be made between updating the Mac in 2017 and updating the Watch, then I agree that the Mac should take precedence. But really, they ought to be able to update all of their product lines once a year. 

I totally agree on the Apple hub point. Until Siri is a lot better, it would be a major embarrassment. But in addition to that, I'm just not sure it's necessary. Between the Watch, iPhone, Macs, AirPods, and apple TV people's lives can already be totally saturated with ways to effortlessly invoke Siri. The key is to get those devices all on the same page so that you don't have multiple devices responding simultaneously to a "hey siri" request and then, as you rightly point out, get Siri to the point where it's not an embarrassment to use her in that way. 
  • Reply 62 of 79
    macxpress said:
    k2kw said:

altivec88 said:
    freeper said:
    As Amazon refuses to sell Apple TV (or Chromecast) products that compete with the awful Fire TV, I am not certain that an Alexa competitor by Apple would have been sold by Amazon either. 
    I agree... But some of those that wanted a home type of device like this that would have chose Apple are now in the Amazon Eco system.  Lets face it, Apple is the new Microsoft.  Big Goliath thats slow to react to anything.  They just can't walk and chew gum anymore.  They can only update the iPhones yearly, the rest of their lineup is either a nuisance and gets cancelled or just a hobby that gets updates every 3 to 4 years.  Meanwhile Tim has been talking about amazing pipelines while other companies are selling actual products.  I remember a time when the opposite was true (ahh the good old days)
    You nailed it.
    Ahh no he didn't...he just spewed out BS is all he did. 
    With your oh so eloquent informative rebuttal, I'm just wondering which part of my post is BS?

a) People that wanted this type of device would have bought Apple instead of Amazon if Apple had one.
    b) Apple is slow to react (3 to 4 years between computer updates, no home device that others have had over a year, no 4k Apple TV that others have had over a year.  Maps App is anemically slow to update and add cities, Siri in last place, No computers capable of doing VR, I can go on and on...)
    c) Tim always talks about amazing pipelines but yet read my point B
    d) all of the above

Its one thing to say you don't agree with something and state your opinion as to why,  its another thing to say someone is spewing BS without backing up your claim.  So again, Tell me which of my points are BS?
    gatorguy
  • Reply 63 of 79
    altivec88 said:
    macxpress said:
    k2kw said:

altivec88 said:
    freeper said:
    You nailed it.
    With your oh so eloquent informative rebuttal, I'm just wondering which part of my post is BS?

a) People that wanted this type of device would have bought Apple instead of Amazon if Apple had one.
    b) Apple is slow to react (3 to 4 years between computer updates, no home device that others have had over a year, no 4k Apple TV that others have had over a year.  Maps App is anemically slow to update and add cities, Siri in last place, No computers capable of doing VR, I can go on and on...)
    d) all of the above

Its one thing to say you don't agree with something and state your opinion as to why,  its another thing to say someone is spewing BS without backing up your claim.  So again, Tell me which of my points are BS?
    How about claiming that because no 4K means apple is too slow to react? That's BS, because obviously they could have pursued 4K if they wanted to, but they chose not to. Probably because there's no iTunes 4K content and most consumers don't even have 4K tvs...it's still premature to add that cost to the product's overhead. Perhaps next year or whenever, when it actually matters to normals and not just techies and early adopters.

Apple makes many decisions like that -- "late" to RFID phones, etc, and it's always the same song & dance...The notion that because apple doesn't jump on new features or specs immediately that they are behind the times, out-innovated, yada yada. None of it true, of course. Apple leads multiple industries in hardware innovation. But they do so on their own schedule, and they don't take a vote. This makes techies maaaad..
    Soli
  • Reply 64 of 79
    altivec88 said:
    Soli said:
    altivec88 said:
    I consider Apple's road to success stared in 1997.
    I consider Apple's road to success started on 01 April 1976. I can't even begin to imagine how you think they they were unsuccessful before that. Do you really to know what they did for the PC industry? Do you not understand what Jobs, Woz, and all those early employees did to change the world starting with their very first Apple computer?

There is major disgruntlement like I've never seen before and all Tim does is talk about amazing pipelines and road maps.  I've heard those words numerous times.  Where are these amazing products?
    It's really to see where they are...

...unless you're wanting to know where these pipeline products Cook only mentioned a week ago are at. In that case, you need to come back down to Earth… assuming you were ever here with that statement.
    Way to cherry pick a statement.  There is a difference between "doing something for the PC industry" and being a successful company.  Even with all of Apple's accolades and "changing of the world", If you don't know how close they were from bankruptcy, I suggest you look it up.   No matter how good you are/were, if you rest on your laurels, you will fall.   When bean counters run your company like Gil Amelio and now Tim Cook, that completely suck the passion out of the company and solely focus on profits, history is forced to repeat itself.

You point me to Apple's website for this Amazing pipeline but other than the iPhone, I don't see anything that is much different than it was 5 years ago and even the iPhone isn't much different really.  I guess yours and Tims version of amazing is much different than mine.  At least 5 years ago they had Mac Pro's that were competitive.  In fact I would still buy 2010 MacPro's over what they are selling today, Which is a sad reality.

Okay, now that I am back to Earth.  Are you referring to Tim's last weeks "Macs are important" and "amazing desktops are on a road map somewhere" speech that he says all the time.   Yah his words mean a lot to me when we go 3+ years without updates.  He could at least have some decency to not blow smoke up people's ssses.  If you really believe that desktops are important to him, I've got some swamp land I would like to sell you.
    You're cherry picking as well. Soli is indeed right that the "success story of Apple" began in 1976, and they had major, major success then. Sure we all know what happened next after they fired Jobs and were aimless, but that doesn't negate that they were indeed majorly successful before that. The iPhone today is leagues better than in 2007. It's not even comparable. Today's iPad Pro isn't comparable to the original iPad, it's also way better, in particular the display resolution and color accuracy and True Tone feature and Pen support. The Watch is a marvel I use daily. The MBPs are now retina and have TouchID, they aren't comparable to pre-Retina MBPs. Then Cook specifically says desktops are in the pipeline but you deny it still.

Really the only thing you guys can whine about is an outdated MP. Despite not owning one at all, which I doubt you do. And I also doubt you would buy a 2010 MP instead of today's were you forced to buy one.

Soli
  • Reply 65 of 79

grangerfx said:
    Can third party developers extend Siri with new commands the way they can on Alexa? No. Can HomeKit be used like Alexa to control any third party WiFi device like the Nest? No. Does Apple have a stand alone device that can listen for Siri voice commands? No. Will Tim Cook still be Apple CEO in five years? No.
    Nonsense. Cook is leading Apple higher than under Jobs by very real metrics. 

I don't need a stand-alone, plug-in chotsky when I have a watch, phone, tablet, and desktop that take voice commands to play music and turn on the lights. As for Nest, it can't be controlled via Siri because Google doesn't want it to. Thus the blame goes to Google, not Apple. 

Can Echo field requests for content from Apple Music? My playlists, stations, etc?
    Soli
  • Reply 66 of 79

blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    altivec88 said:
    freeper said:
    I think the period of time during which Apple successfully walked and chewed gum was actually pretty short, if by "walk and chew gum" we mean "maintain multiple product lines". 

Then they switched to being the Mac company (seriously alienating die hard Apple II fans in the process). 

Then they became the iPod plus Mac company. That eventually worked ok, but there were some major bumps along the road -- the early 00s weren't great for the Mac (hello Cube). 

Then they became the iPhone plus Mac company. There were initially some big bumps in the road, such as the delay of Leopard. But they got things under control around the time of Snow Leopard. 

Then they became the iPhone plus iPad plus Mac company. From about 2010 to 2014, this was a golden age -- probably the best stretch in the history of the company. It had some bumps -- like Maps -- but it was clearly a golden age. 

Today Apple is trying to be the iPhone plus iPad plus Mac plus Services company, potentially with some massive new efforts in the pipeline (autonomous car; AR/VR). They are now hitting some serious bumps in the road. It's definitely a step down from the golden age, but that golden age was an outlier. 

I think Apple has serious problems, but at the same time they also have tremendous advantages and assets. They need to address their problems, and it's by no means a slam dunk that they'll do that. But I think it's do-able, and my guess is that they'll do it. It just kind of sucks right now, particularly for those of us who want to buy a new Mac Pro. 

Edit -- one point i forgot to make, though -- I don't think Apple should try competing with Echo/Alexa right now. I think their priorities should be:

1. Make the Mac great again (this is low hanging fruit -- so easy to do, and the reward will be a nice surge in Mac sales growth)
    2. Get the iPad growing again by addressing all the little things that are obstacles for education and corporate deployments (there needs to be an iCloud pro that addresses the needs of those markets better)
    3. Keep the iPhone moving forward. I think it would be better to include AirPods with every new iPhone 7s than it would be to have an OLED-screen iPhone 8. I actually think AirPods are a bigger deal than OLED screens. 
    4. Update the AppleTV to include an A10X chip, thereby making it a much more credible gaming console
    There's a lot of doom here, but tell me -- how is the lack of OLED screen hindering users? Especially since Gruber reports they still aren't as color accurate as iphone's current screen. 
    Where did I say that a lack of OLED screen is hindering users? 
    When discussing Apple's serious problems you mentioned AirPods are needed even more than OLED screens are. Why are OLED screens a needed item?
    Sorry, that's not what I said. This is what I said:

Where in that quote did I say that OLED-screens are "needed"? 

The reason I'm making the comparison to OLED is that many people (at least among tech writers and wall street analysts) seem to think OLED is a really big deal. I'm saying that AirPods are a much bigger deal. 

I think you need to pay attention to the words in front of you and less attention to your pre-coneived notions and imputations. 

By even bringing up the need for OLED displays on the iPhone 8 you are in effect suggesting it's a value-add of the highest sort, that it's something that is on the table or should be on the table for the 8. And I'm asking why. So far -- crickets. And if you don't feel it is, then you're free to say so and why rather than dick around for 5 posts playing semantic word games.
  • Reply 67 of 79

blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    altivec88 said:
    freeper said:

There's a lot of doom here, but tell me -- how is the lack of OLED screen hindering users? Especially since Gruber reports they still aren't as color accurate as iphone's current screen. 
    When discussing Apple's serious problems you mentioned AirPods are needed even more than OLED screens are. Why are OLED screens a needed item?

The reason I'm making the comparison to OLED is that many people (at least among tech writers and wall street analysts) seem to think OLED is a really big deal. I'm saying that AirPods are a much bigger deal. 

I think you need to pay attention to the words in front of you and less attention to your pre-coneived notions and imputations. 

By even bringing up the need for OLED displays on the iPhone 8 you are in effect suggesting it's a value-add of the highest sort, that it's something that is on the table or should be on the table for the 8. And I'm asking why. So far -- crickets. And if you don't feel it is, then you're free to say so and why rather than dick around for 5 posts playing semantic word games.
    i have no strong opinion about OLES either way. I've read pluses and minuses, I don't see it as a slam dunk in either direction. But clearly some people (like you, apparently) do have very strong views about it. I just made the point that I think that including AirPods would be better.

I think it is bizarre that this is triggering some kind of weird issue for you.
  • Reply 68 of 79
    altivec88 said:
    macxpress said:
    k2kw said:

altivec88 said:
    freeper said:
    You nailed it.

d) all of the above

How about claiming that because no 4K means apple is too slow to react? That's BS, because obviously they could have pursued 4K if they wanted to, but they chose not to. Probably because there's no iTunes 4K content and most consumers don't even have 4K tvs...it's still premature to add that cost to the product's overhead. Perhaps next year or whenever, when it actually matters to normals and not just techies and early adopters.

Apple makes many decisions like that -- "late" to RFID phones, etc, and it's always the same song & dance...The notion that because apple doesn't jump on new features or specs immediately that they are behind the times, out-innovated, yada yada. None of it true, of course. Apple leads multiple industries in hardware innovation. But they do so on their own schedule, and they don't take a vote. This makes techies maaaad..
    Okay.... So taking out every port out of your products and replacing them with USB-C is okay when most consumers don't even have any USB-C devices but having the ability to do 4k output (When 4k has been out for years and all of your competitors already have it) is BS.   You do know, just because it has 4k doesn't mean it won't work on 1080P TV's.   Oh thanks for bringing iTunes up, Not having 4K content is also Slow.  Even netflix and google has 4k content.

BTW.  Their decision to go all in on USB-C is the right thing but again their implementation is Sllooow and causing people problems.  They started the "all in" transition almost a year ago, yet only 2 computer models have them as of today.

• Reply 69 of 79

altivec88 said:
    Soli said:
    altivec88 said:
    I consider Apple's road to success started on 01 April 1976. I can't even begin to imagine how you think they they were unsuccessful before that. Do you really to know what they did for the PC industry? Do you not understand what Jobs, Woz, and all those early employees did to change the world starting with their very first Apple computer?

There is major disgruntlement like I've never seen before and all Tim does is talk about amazing pipelines and road maps.  I've heard those words numerous times.  Where are these amazing products?

...unless you're wanting to know where these pipeline products Cook only mentioned a week ago are at. In that case, you need to come back down to Earth… assuming you were ever here with that statement.
    Way to cherry pick a statement.  There is a difference between "doing something for the PC industry" and being a successful company.  Even with all of Apple's accolades and "changing of the world", If you don't know how close they were from bankruptcy, I suggest you look it up.   No matter how good you are/were, if you rest on your laurels, you will fall.   When bean counters run your company like Gil Amelio and now Tim Cook, that completely suck the passion out of the company and solely focus on profits, history is forced to repeat itself.

You point me to Apple's website for this Amazing pipeline but other than the iPhone, I don't see anything that is much different than it was 5 years ago and even the iPhone isn't much different really.  I guess yours and Tims version of amazing is much different than mine.  At least 5 years ago they had Mac Pro's that were competitive.  In fact I would still buy 2010 MacPro's over what they are selling today, Which is a sad reality.

Okay, now that I am back to Earth.  Are you referring to Tim's last weeks "Macs are important" and "amazing desktops are on a road map somewhere" speech that he says all the time.   Yah his words mean a lot to me when we go 3+ years without updates.  He could at least have some decency to not blow smoke up people's ssses.  If you really believe that desktops are important to him, I've got some swamp land I would like to sell you.
    You're cherry picking as well. Soli is indeed right that the "success story of Apple" began in 1976, and they had major, major success then. Sure we all know what happened next after they fired Jobs and were aimless, but that doesn't negate that they were indeed majorly successful before that. The iPhone today is leagues better than in 2007. It's not even comparable. Today's iPad Pro isn't comparable to the original iPad, it's also way better, in particular the display resolution and color accuracy and True Tone feature and Pen support. The Watch is a marvel I use daily. The MBPs are now retina and have TouchID, they aren't comparable to pre-Retina MBPs. Then Cook specifically says desktops are in the pipeline but you deny it still.

Really the only thing you guys can whine about is an outdated MP. Despite not owning one at all, which I doubt you do. And I also doubt you would buy a 2010 MP instead of today's were you forced to buy one.

Another person that doesn't understand the difference between accomplishments and success.   Your company can find a cure for cancer but if you hire hundreds of thousands employees and price the cure at a million dollars which doesn't generate enough sales to pay your expenses, you go bankrupt.   So although your company had amazing achievements it was not successful.  Clearly you understand the distinction but from your posts it appears you like to argue for the sake of arguing,

So now I don't even own a MacPro.  LOL.  Not sure how you deduced that, but I guess it fits your MO of making stuff up.  FYI, I own several companies and all of them have MacPro's and yes I would absolutely choose the 12 core 2010 MacPro's we have over 12 core 2013 MacPro's.  Our 2010 models weren't even top of the line, they were mid level and half the price of what Apple wants today.   Mean while, I can get 36 core Dell's or HP's for the same price Apple wants for their outdated 12 cores.  
  • Reply 70 of 79
    $50.00 Gets you into the Amazon Echo Dot. It's seriously quite amazing. If you don't check one out due to your allegiance with Apple, I can tell you, you are missing out. The Echo dot is amazing. If you are by any small fraction a technology or gadget person, do yourself a favor and just try it out. I might add that Amazon Alexa, (echo dot) completely and absolutely works with Apple, and Homekit. To be a good Jedi, (technologist) you must know both the light and the darkside of the force. Few great points I have found using Alexa: 

•Works well with Apple/Homekit
    •Can control TV, SIri cannot. (IFFT, doesn't count, as its so slow, it's not logical to wait for it to tune channels) Alexa is blazing fast at  TV and Homekit commands.
    •Head to Head Alexa, is much faster than Siri.
    • I have found that Alexa can do everything Siri does. Add to it "Skills" which are apps, (plugins) and Alexa can do it all.
    • For the money (Value) is unmatched. If you have Netflix, or audible account, consider quitting one of these monthly services, and instead opt for amazon prime. This gets you so much for your dollar. Including music and movies streamed, all you can consume!
    • Alexa has a much much much wider audience of devices it works with.

Soli
  • Reply 71 of 79
    blastdoor said:

blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    altivec88 said:
    freeper said:

i have no strong opinion about OLES either way. I've read pluses and minuses, I don't see it as a slam dunk in either direction. But clearly some people (like you, apparently) do have very strong views about it. I just made the point that I think that including AirPods would be better.

I think it is bizarre that this is triggering some kind of weird issue for you.
    Again, incorrect. I don't have strong views about OLED. I was asking why you felt it would offer enough value to even mention it to begin with. People bring it up all the time but I rarely hear what's so good about it, only that it has poorer color accuracy.

Yet your continuing to try to make it about me personally is very telling.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 72 of 79

altivec88 said:
    altivec88 said:
    macxpress said:
    k2kw said:

altivec88 said:
    freeper said:
    You nailed it.

d) all of the above

Okay.... So taking out every port out of your products and replacing them with USB-C is okay when most consumers don't even have any USB-C devices but having the ability to do 4k output (When 4k has been out for years and all of your competitors already have it) is BS.   You do know, just because it has 4k doesn't mean it won't work on 1080P TV's.   Oh thanks for bringing iTunes up, Not having 4K content is also Slow.  Even netflix and google has 4k content.

BTW.  Their decision to go all in on USB-C is the right thing but again their implementation is Sllooow and causing people problems.  They started the "all in" transition almost a year ago, yet only 2 computer models have them as of today.

You can't argue that migrating to USBC both too rapid and too slow. You're under the mistaken impression that if they incorporate it into one product they must do all products immediately at the same time. That would be a poor decision, considering that their iPhone customers far outweigh their pro mac customers and have very different needs and use cases. In real life, outside the world of the armchair executive, a company and product team like Apple evaluates many factors. Not just "PUT IT ON EVERYTHING YAR!!" So trying to argue that it's both too soon and too slow shows you're only interesting in painting a critical narrative using whichever means are available to you.

4K still doesn't matter. It's getting closer than it was *a year ago* when it ATV came out, but it's still doesn't have critical mass. Early adopters aside, most people just don't care yet. The vast majority of people. Thus it made little sense to increase the cost of the ATV with it. I'd rather buy a new ATV on the day I have a 4K tv, which will likely be years from now (or from last year, when it was released).

edited December 2016
  • Reply 73 of 79

altivec88 said:

altivec88 said:
    Soli said:
    altivec88 said:

Another person that doesn't understand the difference between accomplishments and success.   Your company can find a cure for cancer but if you hire hundreds of thousands employees and price the cure at a million dollars which doesn't generate enough sales to pay your expenses, you go bankrupt.   So although your company had amazing achievements it was not successful.  Clearly you understand the distinction but from your posts it appears you like to argue for the sake of arguing,

So now I don't even own a MacPro.  LOL.  Not sure how you deduced that, but I guess it fits your MO of making stuff up.  FYI, I own several companies and all of them have MacPro's and yes I would absolutely choose the 12 core 2010 MacPro's we have over 12 core 2013 MacPro's.  Our 2010 models weren't even top of the line, they were mid level and half the price of what Apple wants today.   Mean while, I can get 36 core Dell's or HP's for the same price Apple wants for their outdated 12 cores.  
    Incorrect. "Success" is not a permanent binary state, so it's rather insane to try to argue that it is. 1970s and 1980s Apple was indeed successful. 1980s and 1990s Apple was not. 2000s Apple was. Etc etc.. The "success story of Apple" began in the 1970s, and there is absolutely no way you can claim otherwise. By your absurd logic no human being can be "successful" because we all wind up dead -- whah whah. Yet some dead people were very successful. Some people broke today were successful in years past. I had a successful consulting company but it doesn't exist today, but that doesn't mean it wasn't successful when it existed. Success is an event, not a permanent state.

I deduced nothing. I speculated that you, like most of the MP complainers, don't own one. Perhaps my speculation isn't correct in your case but I still believe most of of the online, regular whiners don't own MPs and are instead using it as the latest material to hate on Apple with, which I've watched people do for many many years. It's a common pattern -- complaining about something that doesn't even pertain to you because Apple.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 74 of 79

digitol said:
    $50.00 Gets you into the Amazon Echo Dot. It's seriously quite amazing. If you don't check one out due to your allegiance with Apple, I can tell you, you are missing out. The Echo dot is amazing. If you are by any small fraction a technology or gadget person, do yourself a favor and just try it out. I might add that Amazon Alexa, (echo dot) completely and absolutely works with Apple, and Homekit. To be a good Jedi, (technologist) you must know both the light and the darkside of the force. Few great points I have found using Alexa: 

•Works well with Apple/Homekit
    •Can control TV, SIri cannot. (IFFT, doesn't count, as its so slow, it's not logical to wait for it to tune channels) Alexa is blazing fast at  TV and Homekit commands.
    •Head to Head Alexa, is much faster than Siri.
    • I have found that Alexa can do everything Siri does. Add to it "Skills" which are apps, (plugins) and Alexa can do it all.
    • For the money (Value) is unmatched. If you have Netflix, or audible account, consider quitting one of these monthly services, and instead opt for amazon prime. This gets you so much for your dollar. Including music and movies streamed, all you can consume!
    • Alexa has a much much much wider audience of devices it works with.
    Most of what you're saying is that it can do what Siri does. What's the value add there? Control more devices not on HomeKit is what I'm hearing...Yet I'm not sure that's a good thing -- with the recent IoT hacks, I value the mandated encryption that is part of the HomeKit protocol and hardware.

Alexa cannot manage my Apple Music library, can it? My music, stations, playlists, etc? You have to use their music service right?

Also, I have Prime, and their media offering is weak compared to Netflix, I certainly wouldn't swap or pay for it separately (got it for the shipping).
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 75 of 79
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    Alexa cannot manage my Apple Music library, can it? My music, stations, playlists, etc? You have to use their music service right?
    Amazon has a streaming music service, like Apple Music and Spotify, but they also let you upload your physical music, just like Apple's iTunes Match

The first 250 songs are free, and it's $24.99/year to store up to 250,000 songs. They also have a nifty app for Windows and Mac that will look do this automatically, which makes it pretty much like iTunes Match.

Then you have all the stations and music categories built into the Alexa service so you can say, "Alexa, play me the top 40 pop hits." One nice feature is that even if an album isn't available it can still play the sample for you. I've used it many, many times with movie soundtracks. For example, "Alexa, play me the Forest Gump soundtrack."
  • Reply 76 of 79
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,385member
    AI_lias said:

By the way, you do not have to pause after "Hey Siri", you can just continue with the command, it will work. That being said, good point about Siri being very frustrating and largely worthless. And, I also came to the point of needing two timers (when grilling) and not having that option. Glad to see people starting to hold Apple's feet to the fire. They need it.
    Early on, I got into the habit of waiting for Siri's double beep before continuing with my request/question/demand, whether pressing the Home button or saying 'Hey, Siri'.

Eventually I broke the habit, and Siri works just fine with 'Hey, Siri, turn off the kitchen lights'. Until she doesn't. Usually, if that doesn't work, there's a problem with Siri responding that isn't fixed by adding a pause.

So when she works, she's marvelous. But often she doesn't. I use Siri a lot, but for minor things. My complaints:

She doesn't understand a lot of things. The command '...to nightlight' is parsed as 'tonight light' followed by some form of 'I don't understand'.

There are only a few ways to ask many questions. Very often she asks 'Can you ask that in a different way?'

While I understand Apple's desire to avoid false triggering, saying 'Hey...' annoys me. 'Siri' would be find by me, and I'll live with the consequences. 

There is no onboard Siri capability. No internet, no Siri. Apple had Voice Control for years. What the what??

Siri can't do a lot, and I think by now she should be able to. 'Open this... Close that...' No can do, so sorry. She's no Her, but Siri needs a lot of work. I don't know that Apple is doing much to improve her. 

As I'm slowly entering the Automated Home field, I' leaning towards a Dot, and giving Alexa a try. I don't know that the FBI/NSA/CIA are in fact accessing Alexa any more than I don't know they're not, or couldn't. I don't know that any recording is or isn't taking place without Alexa being told. That would be a cool skill— 'Alexa start recording all audio until I tell you to stop, or there's silence for X minutes.'

I will limit my IoT stuff, though. A BT door lock would be exceedingly handy for a newly acquired disability, but even with HomeKit, lighting will and a few appliances will be the extent of automation. I have flashlights at the ready, in case somebody hacks my automation, but I don't want them burning my toast or unlocking my door to steal it.

• Reply 77 of 79
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    altivec88 said:
    Who said I discounted everything they did.  You clearly don't understand the difference between accomplishments and success. They don't go hand in hand.  There are and were a lot of companies that accomplished amazing things but were never successful for one reason or another. 

Although in earlier years Apple accomplished amazing things, they were struggling in terms of success from a company stand point.  If you can't understand this, I can't help you much. 
    The history of the world is only a google away and yet people will arrogantly proclaim something completely wrong in a belligerent manner as if no one else has the internet.

---
    AppleInsider:

Apple's initial public offering on December 12, 1980 sold 4.6 million shares at $22 each, generating more capital than any other iPO since Ford Motor Company in 1956 and instantly creating 300 millionaires.

By the end of the day, Apple's market capitalization had reached $1.778 billion. 

---

Biggest IPO in 24 years but somehow not a business success.  

Note that even "90 days from bankruptcy" Apple could afford to buy NeXT for $400M and had $1.2B in cash.  The $150M from Microsoft was mostly symbolic.  It was the promise to keep MS Office on the Mac that was the real lifeline.
    Soli
  • Reply 78 of 79
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    nht said:
    Note that even "90 days from bankruptcy" Apple could afford to buy NeXT for $400M and had $1.2B in cash.  The $150M from Microsoft was mostly symbolic.  It was the promise to keep MS Office on the Mac that was the real lifeline.
    And NeXT remained their largest known acquisition at $404 million until they bought Beats in August 2014 for $3 billion.

Speaking of that purchase, I think the modern era has created many unrealistic expectations for the younger generation and those who are less adept at critical thinking, although we all can succumb to it if we're not heedful. In a span of 2 years they were able to make great waves in music streaming, dominate the headphone market, and, most importantly, advance wireless headphone development. To name just a few of the most notable, they've also do this with AuthenTec (Touch ID), FingerWorks (iPhone touchscreen, originally), and P.A. Semi (ARM processors) in just a few years time that altered our exceptions of technology forever.
  • Reply 79 of 79
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    lkrupp said:
    Why anybody would keep one of these devices in their homes is shocking. These things are connected to the Internet and listening 24/7/365. Nobody knows what Google or Amazon, or even Apple, if they had such a product, is doing with all that listening data. Besides responding to user questions are they also programmed to listen for conversations about specific topics like politics, religion, brand names, etc? Sounds like the perfect snooping device for gathering data. Could pollsters use the data to see which candidates users are talking about in their private living rooms? If AT&T is sharing data with the NSA/CIA what’s keeping Google or Amazon from allowing them to listen in as a bugging device that also answers questions posed to it. It’s creepy to me. And NO, I don’t trust Google or Amazon, Apple or any corporation to protect my privacy.
    Talking down a product that you have never been using is a troll. Amazing Echo is not triggered to process anything unless it's initiated with "Alexa" or "Echo". Btw, Apple has that product too called "Siri". It always listens on 6s and newer handsets and while plugged in for the rest. NO DIFFERENCE!
    edited December 2016 Soli