Love is blind: NPD says Android customers are so committed that exploding Note 7 did little to help.

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 45
    That's why Apple's activations were double over Samsung without any help. That means that the iPhone 7 is a bigger hit then anyone imagined. If an Android user would rather buy a phone that explodes into flames and burns there house down let them have it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,088member
    cali said:
    Fatman said:
    Forget the exploding batteries it's the security or lack thereof of the Android platform that should worry Samsung users. My parents bought phones (didn't want to spend more for iPhones) Their credit card and bank accounts were hacked a month later due to an app that relayed info to a third party. Still dealing with the repercussions ...
    Did you explain to them it was due to their android?

    Unless his parents did something dodgy, and went out of their way to change default security settings and ignore multiple warnings not to do so, I'd suggest it didn't happen like he thinks it did. I think he's made a false assumption. 
    edited December 2016 singularity
  • Reply 23 of 45
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    Fatman said:
    Forget the exploding batteries it's the security or lack thereof of the Android platform that should worry Samsung users. My parents bought phones (didn't want to spend more for iPhones) Their credit card and bank accounts were hacked a month later due to an app that relayed info to a third party. Still dealing with the repercussions ...
    Did you explain to them it was due to their android?

    Unless his parents did something dodgy, and went out of their way to change default security settings and ignore multiple warnings not to do so, I'd suggest it didn't happen like he thinks it did. I think he's made a false assumption. 
    Wow from your assumption I can safely assumed his parents are geeks and no ordinary users.
    Wow and wow and how many patents are that smart.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    thedbathedba Posts: 757member
    zone said:
    Samsung is for cheap, uneducated, uninformed low class people. I don't know a single person who has their act together that own a Samsung phone. They are all alike so no surprise here...
    Samsung has quite few campaigns going on, almost year round. Buy a Samsung branded TV get a Galaxy tablet for free.
    Buy a Samsung phone get a Gear headset or a second phone for free. 
    It helps move inventory and get that all important market share stat. Profits is an entirely different matter. 
    palominewatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,088member
    adamc said:
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    Fatman said:
    Forget the exploding batteries it's the security or lack thereof of the Android platform that should worry Samsung users. My parents bought phones (didn't want to spend more for iPhones) Their credit card and bank accounts were hacked a month later due to an app that relayed info to a third party. Still dealing with the repercussions ...
    Did you explain to them it was due to their android?

    Unless his parents did something dodgy, and went out of their way to change default security settings and ignore multiple warnings not to do so, I'd suggest it didn't happen like he thinks it did. I think he's made a false assumption. 
    Wow from your assumption I can safely assumed his parents are geeks and no ordinary users.
    Wow and wow and how many patents are that smart.
    If a dodgy unapproved app got them apparently not very. 
    singularity
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Our church isn't big enough to be more than an anecdotal example, but I know many, many people there who have been die hard android people switched to the iPhone 7. About 500 people go there and the ratio of iphones to androids was maybe 1:2 before and is now like, 1:1.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,088member
    igorsky said:
    Multiple reports show that Apple outsold Samsung this holiday season at a rate of 2:1...I call BS on this article.
    I wonder if you or anyone else looked at Flurry's figures from last year and the year before to see if there was any change? Samsung actually picked up share this holiday season and Apple lost a bit.  I realize that would not be expected considering the troubles at Samsung but that's what Flurry says assuming the report was still worldwide and not just US. Still it's plain as day that Apple products make great gifts and why they're found under lots of trees. 

    From last year:
    "For the week dated December 19th through December 25th, analytics firm Flurry found that 49.1% of new devices activated globally during the Christmas week, were made by Apple. That is off 2.2 percentage points from last year's figure.

    Samsung was second, accounting for 19.8% of new activations during Christmas week. That was a 2.1 pp increase from 2014's figure, meaning that Samsung essentially picked up the activations lost by Apple this year. (2015)" 
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 28 of 45
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Wait for the numbers from the manufacturers. 

    Samsung also offered free S8 for folks who bought Note 7. That's not how you measure loyalty.
    In MBA schools, the proper way is to determine brand loyalty without incentives. 
    The NPD people may not know what they are talking about. They tally channel sales numbers. I was in their business (not NPD though) for 2 years.

    Anecdotally, in my own circle of friends, this year shows the most number of switchers. Not just lay people on the streets. Savvy high tech workers, Android enthusiasts decided that they have had enough and bought an iPhone for a change. I was surprised myself. First they complained on their FB pages about different UI features on iPhone, more folks chimed in and revealed that they got used to iOS after 2-3 days. ^_^

    In some cases, the users themselves wanted to save money and stayed on an old Samsung phone, but their hubbies bought an iPhone for them for safety reasons.

    In some of these families, they are now completely iOS to simplify sharing and integration between family members, or being able to share better with their iPads. It's not just the special features that sell phones. Day to day usage can make a difference too.

    EDIT:
    I also have friends who are diehard Samsung supporters. They ding everything Apple proactively whenever they got a chance. Sometimes when I showed them how it's done, they immediately got demoralized. It's a sad affair. Don't be like them.
    edited December 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 45
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member

    gatorguy said:
    adamc said:
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    Fatman said:
    Forget the exploding batteries it's the security or lack thereof of the Android platform that should worry Samsung users. My parents bought phones (didn't want to spend more for iPhones) Their credit card and bank accounts were hacked a month later due to an app that relayed info to a third party. Still dealing with the repercussions ...
    Did you explain to them it was due to their android?

    Unless his parents did something dodgy, and went out of their way to change default security settings and ignore multiple warnings not to do so, I'd suggest it didn't happen like he thinks it did. I think he's made a false assumption. 
    Wow from your assumption I can safely assumed his parents are geeks and no ordinary users.
    Wow and wow and how many patents are that smart.
    If a dodgy unapproved app got them apparently not very. 
    Google Play store have rogue apps too. There have been multiple reports on this. Google for them.
    watto_cobraspinnyd
  • Reply 30 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,088member
    patsu said:

    gatorguy said:
    adamc said:
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    Fatman said:
    Forget the exploding batteries it's the security or lack thereof of the Android platform that should worry Samsung users. My parents bought phones (didn't want to spend more for iPhones) Their credit card and bank accounts were hacked a month later due to an app that relayed info to a third party. Still dealing with the repercussions ...
    Did you explain to them it was due to their android?

    Unless his parents did something dodgy, and went out of their way to change default security settings and ignore multiple warnings not to do so, I'd suggest it didn't happen like he thinks it did. I think he's made a false assumption. 
    Wow from your assumption I can safely assumed his parents are geeks and no ordinary users.
    Wow and wow and how many patents are that smart.
    If a dodgy unapproved app got them apparently not very. 
    Google Play store have rogue apps too. There have been multiple reports on this. Google for them.
    Apple's App Store has too. Not anything that steals banking information on either one as far as I know which is what the OP complained about. 
    edited December 2016 singularity
  • Reply 31 of 45
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    gatorguy said:
    patsu said:

    gatorguy said:
    adamc said:
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    Fatman said:
    Forget the exploding batteries it's the security or lack thereof of the Android platform that should worry Samsung users. My parents bought phones (didn't want to spend more for iPhones) Their credit card and bank accounts were hacked a month later due to an app that relayed info to a third party. Still dealing with the repercussions ...
    Did you explain to them it was due to their android?

    Unless his parents did something dodgy, and went out of their way to change default security settings and ignore multiple warnings not to do so, I'd suggest it didn't happen like he thinks it did. I think he's made a false assumption. 
    Wow from your assumption I can safely assumed his parents are geeks and no ordinary users.
    Wow and wow and how many patents are that smart.
    If a dodgy unapproved app got them apparently not very. 
    Google Play store have rogue apps too. There have been multiple reports on this. Google for them.
    Apple's App Store has too. Not anything that steals banking information as far as I know which is what the OP complained about. 
    Yes but far fewer incidents. And those were attacked from OS X SDK. 

    A lot of Android security features are bullet points. They are not comparable to iOS security. ASLR, encryption are much weaker on Android.


    watto_cobraspinnyd
  • Reply 32 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,088member
    patsu said:
    gatorguy said:
    patsu said:

    gatorguy said:
    adamc said:
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    Fatman said:
    Forget the exploding batteries it's the security or lack thereof of the Android platform that should worry Samsung users. My parents bought phones (didn't want to spend more for iPhones) Their credit card and bank accounts were hacked a month later due to an app that relayed info to a third party. Still dealing with the repercussions ...
    Did you explain to them it was due to their android?

    Unless his parents did something dodgy, and went out of their way to change default security settings and ignore multiple warnings not to do so, I'd suggest it didn't happen like he thinks it did. I think he's made a false assumption. 
    Wow from your assumption I can safely assumed his parents are geeks and no ordinary users.
    Wow and wow and how many patents are that smart.
    If a dodgy unapproved app got them apparently not very. 
    Google Play store have rogue apps too. There have been multiple reports on this. Google for them.
    Apple's App Store has too. Not anything that steals banking information as far as I know which is what the OP complained about. 
    Yes but far fewer incidents. And those were attacked from OS X SDK. 

    A lot of Android security features are bullet points. They are not comparable to iOS security. ASLR, encryption are much weaker on Android.


    Are you hoping for an argument? You'll not get one from me.

    Yes, Apple's default security is better than Android's in some ways, but that does not equate to Android security being bad just because Apple's might be better. Nor does it change anything about the OP likely making the wrong assumption about where his parent's thieving malware came from. Highly unlikely it came from a Google Play app. No, I'd still guess it came via an email phishing spoof. 
    edited December 2016 singularity
  • Reply 33 of 45
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    gatorguy said:
    patsu said:
    gatorguy said:
    patsu said:

    gatorguy said:
    adamc said:
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    Fatman said:
    Forget the exploding batteries it's the security or lack thereof of the Android platform that should worry Samsung users. My parents bought phones (didn't want to spend more for iPhones) Their credit card and bank accounts were hacked a month later due to an app that relayed info to a third party. Still dealing with the repercussions ...
    Did you explain to them it was due to their android?

    Unless his parents did something dodgy, and went out of their way to change default security settings and ignore multiple warnings not to do so, I'd suggest it didn't happen like he thinks it did. I think he's made a false assumption. 
    Wow from your assumption I can safely assumed his parents are geeks and no ordinary users.
    Wow and wow and how many patents are that smart.
    If a dodgy unapproved app got them apparently not very. 
    Google Play store have rogue apps too. There have been multiple reports on this. Google for them.
    Apple's App Store has too. Not anything that steals banking information as far as I know which is what the OP complained about. 
    Yes but far fewer incidents. And those were attacked from OS X SDK. 

    A lot of Android security features are bullet points. They are not comparable to iOS security. ASLR, encryption are much weaker on Android.


    Are you hoping for an argument? You'll not get one from me.

    Yes, Apple's default security is better than Android's in some ways, but that does not equate to Android security being bad just because Apple's might be better. Nor does it change anything about the OP likely making the wrong assumption about where his parent's thieving malware came from. Highly unlikely it came from a Google Play app. No, I'd still guess it came via an email phishing spoof. 
    It can come from a google play app because we just agreed rogue apps are there too. There have been reports on rogue apps in the official stores. The vendors will do their part to defend the integrity of the ecosystem but it is still possible to penetrate them if the system has exploitable holes.

    Users have to keep their eyes open regardless.
    watto_cobraspinnyd
  • Reply 34 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,088member
    patsu said:
    gatorguy said:
    patsu said:
    gatorguy said:
    patsu said:

    gatorguy said:
    adamc said:
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    Fatman said:
    Forget the exploding batteries it's the security or lack thereof of the Android platform that should worry Samsung users. My parents bought phones (didn't want to spend more for iPhones) Their credit card and bank accounts were hacked a month later due to an app that relayed info to a third party. Still dealing with the repercussions ...
    Did you explain to them it was due to their android?

    Unless his parents did something dodgy, and went out of their way to change default security settings and ignore multiple warnings not to do so, I'd suggest it didn't happen like he thinks it did. I think he's made a false assumption. 
    Wow from your assumption I can safely assumed his parents are geeks and no ordinary users.
    Wow and wow and how many patents are that smart.
    If a dodgy unapproved app got them apparently not very. 
    Google Play store have rogue apps too. There have been multiple reports on this. Google for them.
    Apple's App Store has too. Not anything that steals banking information as far as I know which is what the OP complained about. 
    Yes but far fewer incidents. And those were attacked from OS X SDK. 

    A lot of Android security features are bullet points. They are not comparable to iOS security. ASLR, encryption are much weaker on Android.


    Are you hoping for an argument? You'll not get one from me.

    Yes, Apple's default security is better than Android's in some ways, but that does not equate to Android security being bad just because Apple's might be better. Nor does it change anything about the OP likely making the wrong assumption about where his parent's thieving malware came from. Highly unlikely it came from a Google Play app. No, I'd still guess it came via an email phishing spoof. 
    It can come from a google play app because we just agreed rogue apps are there too..
    Nope. Didn't happen. If there was such an app in either Google Play or the App Store it would be all over the web, and certainly get an article from Mr. Dilger here. That kind of clickbait would be near impossible to pass up. So no, much as you'd like it to be true it almost surely isn't. 
    edited December 2016 singularity
  • Reply 35 of 45
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    gatorguy said:
    patsu said:
    gatorguy said:
    patsu said:
    gatorguy said:
    patsu said:

    gatorguy said:
    adamc said:
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    Fatman said:
    Forget the exploding batteries it's the security or lack thereof of the Android platform that should worry Samsung users. My parents bought phones (didn't want to spend more for iPhones) Their credit card and bank accounts were hacked a month later due to an app that relayed info to a third party. Still dealing with the repercussions ...
    Did you explain to them it was due to their android?

    Unless his parents did something dodgy, and went out of their way to change default security settings and ignore multiple warnings not to do so, I'd suggest it didn't happen like he thinks it did. I think he's made a false assumption. 
    Wow from your assumption I can safely assumed his parents are geeks and no ordinary users.
    Wow and wow and how many patents are that smart.
    If a dodgy unapproved app got them apparently not very. 
    Google Play store have rogue apps too. There have been multiple reports on this. Google for them.
    Apple's App Store has too. Not anything that steals banking information as far as I know which is what the OP complained about. 
    Yes but far fewer incidents. And those were attacked from OS X SDK. 

    A lot of Android security features are bullet points. They are not comparable to iOS security. ASLR, encryption are much weaker on Android.


    Are you hoping for an argument? You'll not get one from me.

    Yes, Apple's default security is better than Android's in some ways, but that does not equate to Android security being bad just because Apple's might be better. Nor does it change anything about the OP likely making the wrong assumption about where his parent's thieving malware came from. Highly unlikely it came from a Google Play app. No, I'd still guess it came via an email phishing spoof. 
    It can come from a google play app because we just agreed rogue apps are there too..
    Nope. Didn't happen. 
    Google got alerted to the rogue apps after the fact by the researchers, and removed them. The news are out there.

    It is a cat and mouse game. Users should not rely solely on the vendors to protect themselves. Learn to detect anomalies.

    edit:
    Yes, the rogue apps you agreed existed in Google Play in this sub thread. What's wrong with admitting it ? Even iOS is not imperfect.

    edited December 2016 spinnyd
  • Reply 36 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,088member
    patsu said:
    gatorguy said:
    patsu said:
    gatorguy said:
    patsu said:
    gatorguy said:
    patsu said:

    gatorguy said:
    adamc said:
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    Fatman said:
    Forget the exploding batteries it's the security or lack thereof of the Android platform that should worry Samsung users. My parents bought phones (didn't want to spend more for iPhones) Their credit card and bank accounts were hacked a month later due to an app that relayed info to a third party. Still dealing with the repercussions ...
    Did you explain to them it was due to their android?

    Unless his parents did something dodgy, and went out of their way to change default security settings and ignore multiple warnings not to do so, I'd suggest it didn't happen like he thinks it did. I think he's made a false assumption. 
    Wow from your assumption I can safely assumed his parents are geeks and no ordinary users.
    Wow and wow and how many patents are that smart.
    If a dodgy unapproved app got them apparently not very. 
    Google Play store have rogue apps too. There have been multiple reports on this. Google for them.
    Apple's App Store has too. Not anything that steals banking information as far as I know which is what the OP complained about. 
    Yes but far fewer incidents. And those were attacked from OS X SDK. 

    A lot of Android security features are bullet points. They are not comparable to iOS security. ASLR, encryption are much weaker on Android.


    Are you hoping for an argument? You'll not get one from me.

    Yes, Apple's default security is better than Android's in some ways, but that does not equate to Android security being bad just because Apple's might be better. Nor does it change anything about the OP likely making the wrong assumption about where his parent's thieving malware came from. Highly unlikely it came from a Google Play app. No, I'd still guess it came via an email phishing spoof. 
    It can come from a google play app because we just agreed rogue apps are there too..
    Nope. Didn't happen. 
    Google got alerted to the rogue apps after the fact by the researchers, and removed them. The news are out there.

    Link to that news? Perhaps you've confused it with the few hundred apps harboring malware (including at least one bank app) Apple removed this year from the App Store. That one DID make the news. But even there it was not claimed any banking credentials were stolen. 

    EDIT: You prompted me to go on a search and yes there was an app somewhat recently, downloaded 5000 times, that did harbor malware intended to steal banking information. But even that one required the user installing a fake Play Store app from outside of Google Play to make it work if I'm reading it right. Fortunately Google's Verify Apps would now block that specific spoof as far as I can tell. Sincere thanks for the mention tho as it did interest me enough to search it out. I learned something. 
    edited December 2016 singularity
  • Reply 37 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,695member
    Fatman said:
    Forget the exploding batteries it's the security or lack thereof of the Android platform that should worry Samsung users. My parents bought phones (didn't want to spend more for iPhones) Their credit card and bank accounts were hacked a month later due to an app that relayed info to a third party. Still dealing with the repercussions ...
    Sorry to hear that but, I think Samsung addressed the security issue very well on the Galaxy Note 7, they got the idea from Mission Impossible. 
    edited December 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 45
    BurstaholicBurstaholic Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Ah, yes, I too remember the day the hard drive in my Windows PC died, and I was so incensed I switched to Macintosh computers. Oh wait, no one does that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 45
    A coworker who always had iPhones bought a Galaxy S7 Edge this time around when he upgraded. He summed it up the other day to me after having it for a few months:

    "This phone is like that blonde-haired, large breasted model you see in the club. You hook up and start having a fling, but after a couple weeks you find out she's a bitch with a lousy personality and dumber than a bag of hammers and you can't stand to be around her."

    Impressive in the store, lots of sex appeal with the bright screen and curves, but ultimately just an average device.
    Was he mainly referring to Android or just Samsung 
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Do not underestimate the "used car sales man " and super aggressive/obnoxious  sales tactics of sumsung.

    Walk into best buy and go to samsung area and start looking around.... you will be attacked by sales people  , who without hesitation will knock Apple.. downtalk  it to shit level and paint samdung as gift frim gods..
    To the uninforemed layman this can be very effective..
    Go to Apple section and no pushy obnoxious sales tactics. 
    watto_cobraspinnyd
Sign In or Register to comment.