AirPods builder Inventec expanding capacity, growing workforce to meet demand

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple supplier Inventec, who appears to be the sole provider of Apple's AirPods at this time, has started expanding capacity at its plants to satisfy worldwide demand for the wireless devices.

According to a Chinese-language report in the Economic Daily News, Inventec has brought on extra shifts, is growing manufacturing capacity, and has expanded working hours for assembly staff building Apple's AirPods.

Early November, Inventec claimed that it expected to see a 7% year-over-year revenue growth in 2017, just because of AirPods orders. No notable gain was expected for 2016.

Apple's AirPods, Powerbeats 3, and Beats Solo3 Wireless headphones all feature a the Apple-designed W1 chip that makes it easier to pair with multiple Apple devices. In addition to the W1, AirPods also include beam-forming microphones, accelerometers, infrared sensors, and a small charging and carrying case that will provide more power on the go as well as the sync mechanism.

Orders from Apple's online store still hold a six-week delay on shipping. While Apple retail stores are still seeing some shipments in limited quantities, store pickup orders at most locations aren't expected to be available until Feb. 21.

Previous rumors pegged Inventec and UEI Precision to hold the manufacturing contracts for the devices, but it is not clear at this time if UEI has delivered any units.

Stock monitoring service iStockNow has recently added the devices to its availability checker.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    AirPods are the new iPod. Amazing devices, a joy to use. Inventec should stay busy indefinitely. 
    ration allostkiwistanthemanrf9watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Hoping to get a pair of them soon!
    lostkiwirf9watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    flaneur said:
    AirPods are the new iPod. Amazing devices, a joy to use. Inventec should stay busy indefinitely. 
    Amazing devices indeed. They've transformed my workshop listening experience almost miraculously where wires are really bad news safety wise and removed many of the small hindrances of tethered phone use. 
    My wife stills giggles about the 'look'...and that's good too
    lostkiwiwatto_cobramacgui
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Apple will likely make more money from AirPods than Watch. Price is lower, but attach-rate will be much higher.

Sentiment will change from "Why?" to "Why not?"
    lostkiwistanthemanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    frac said:
    flaneur said:
    Amazing devices indeed. They've transformed my workshop listening experience almost miraculously where wires are really bad news safety wise and removed many of the small hindrances of tethered phone use. 
    My wife stills giggles about the 'look'...and that's good too
    I agree 100%. Wasting adrenaline on the constant snagging of those wires can shorten your life. Plus I think they're dangerous when you're using a bench grinder or a chainsaw, for example. 

Apple will likely make more money from AirPods than Watch. Price is lower, but attach-rate will be much higher.

Well said. My sentiment has also hardened quite a bit toward those who laughed at these when they were announced. And they don't fall out.
    edited December 2016 lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Love my new AirPods but volume management via Siri is a bit of a pain. In fact, it's a bit of a Catch-22 in that in a noisy environment you may want to increase the volume in an environment where Siri is much more likely to fail.

It would be nice if the AirPods had the option to use the built-in microphone (or the iPhone's microphone) to measure the ambient noise level and automatically increase and decrease the volume accordingly.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    hmlongco said:
    Love my new AirPods but volume management via Siri is a bit of a pain. In fact, it's a bit of a Catch-22 in that in a noisy environment you may want to increase the volume in an environment where Siri is much more likely to fail.

It would be nice if the AirPods had the option to use the built-in microphone (or the iPhone's microphone) to measure the ambient noise level and automatically increase and decrease the volume accordingly.
    They can use each separate earbud as controllers so maybe tap-hold on the right earbud to increase volume, tap-hold left to decrease, the movement sensor should be sensitive enough to detect a finger release from the bud. Track skip is useful to have as a dedicated control too. This could either be double tap, triple tap (switching either with Siri) or double-tap-hold until a noise plays to indicate track skipped. If Siri activates by accident, a further tap would indicate that one of the other gestures was intended.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 8 of 15
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Marvin said:
    hmlongco said:

They can use each separate earbud as controllers so maybe tap-hold on the right earbud to increase volume, tap-hold left to decrease, the movement sensor should be sensitive enough to detect a finger release from the bud. Track skip is useful to have as a dedicated control too. This could either be double tap, triple tap (switching either with Siri) or double-tap-hold until a noise plays to indicate track skipped. If Siri activates by accident, a further tap would indicate that one of the other gestures was intended.
    Buttons ffs.  Tapping onto your ear is not comfortable.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    crowley said:
    Marvin said:
    hmlongco said:

Buttons ffs.  Tapping onto your ear is not comfortable.
    Sure buttons would be an alternative but they can't retrofit buttons onto this model. These gestures are a software update away. The taps wouldn't be frequent. Volume change likely once every listening session, track skip maybe once every 5-10 tracks (15-30 minutes).
  • Reply 10 of 15
    My AirPods arrived yesterday afternoon, two weeks ahead of time. They are pretty amazing to use. 
    rf9watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

For sure they will. They can be used with ANY BT capable device, with all of the benefits except easy pair with iCloud connected devices, not just some iPhones, like the Apple Watch.

if the Apple Watch were priced lower, there might be a higher adoption rate among iPhone users, but as it stands, many still have to justify the need. While the Apple Watch will continue to grow, these will outpace it in sales much faster.

I think the battery life, compared to competing buds, and other progressive features, will outstrip the lack of direct volume controls. In fact -- how does one control the volume on a BT device which does not have Siri? On the device?
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 12 of 15
    rf9rf9 Posts: 70member
    hmlongco said:

I use the Apple Watch to adjust volume or play/pause/track. it really seems like AirPods were intended to use with an Appe Watch as a remote control.  I realize that not everyone has or wants an Apple Watch som It's certainly a place for Apple to improve.  I like the adaptive volume idea.
    Consider getting at least the entry level Apple Watch if you really plan to use the AirPods a lot.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Chop chop. I'm on the waiting list and it currently says 6 weeks.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I do have an Apple Watch and am awaiting my AirPods. What does Inventec do in general, as well as for Apple, other than AirPods. I'd hate to see them end up like GTAT.