Unboxing LG's 27-inch UltraFine 5K Display with Thunderbolt 3

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison between this display and the iMac 27 5K.

macxpresspulseimages
  • Reply 22 of 34
    macxpress said:
    wozwoz said:
    Only thing I saw attractive there was the aluminium foil wrapping paper. Everything else was hideously ugly. How Apple could even be linked to this?!? Steve Jobs would chuck it out the window. Defenestration FTW!
    Please don't quote what Steve would have done. Nobody knows what Steve would do and it doesn't matter anyways. Why? BECAUSE THIS IS NOT STEVE'S COMPANY!!! Get it through your skull people!!!! Enough with the Steve shit!
    I knew Steve. It will always be his company; and he would have gone through hundreds of iterations with LG before signing off on the final one.
    macxpresspulseimagesRayz2016rajeshkhater
  • Reply 23 of 34
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    macxpress said:
    wozwoz said:
    Only thing I saw attractive there was the aluminium foil wrapping paper. Everything else was hideously ugly. How Apple could even be linked to this?!? Steve Jobs would chuck it out the window. Defenestration FTW!
    Please don't quote what Steve would have done. Nobody knows what Steve would do and it doesn't matter anyways. Why? BECAUSE THIS IS NOT STEVE'S COMPANY!!! Get it through your skull people!!!! Enough with the Steve shit!
    I knew Steve. It will always be his company; and he would have gone through hundreds of iterations with LG before signing off on the final one.
    Big deal! Many people knew Steve. You don't know what he would have done and sorry this is not Steve's company. That ended on August 2011 when he resigned. You need to get over it like others who want to always talk about what Steve would have done. This is a different Apple, for better or worse. It doesn't matter what Steve would have done anyways, because Steve isn't here. So what difference does it make? 
    edited December 2016 pulseimagesRayz2016rajeshkhater
  • Reply 24 of 34
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    Just opened mine and set it up. The screen is AMAZING! It is by far the best screen I've ever seen.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 25 of 34
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    rob53 said:
    macxpress said:
    If you don't like it, you could sacrifice a little and get the 27" HP 4K display. 

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-27-27-inch-display

Its also much cheaper!
    And you get what you pay for. No Thunderbolt/USB-C expansion ports so I'd need to get a TB dock, only has a tilt, no height adjustment, only 4K, skinny stand and it's out of stock on HP's website.
    This is why I said if you want to compromise. For a general user this is perfect. I myself would consider this over the LG because it suits my needs and its about $1000 cheaper. 
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Its a shame apple axed the display buisness...
    Its a shame that we have to shine LG logos rather than Apple where Apple devices are being used.
    Specially at the high end level/ power user level.

For a company the size of Apple making their own casing for a display is  a breeze.... 
    even if its not a profitable  buisness..  do it for marketing ressons...  break even at worst.. but let the Apple Logos Shine everywhere ! 

• Reply 27 of 34
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    wreighven said:
    The video on the monitor (even abstracted by the video itself) looks AMAZING! Seriously thinking about getting a 15" and 2 of these bad boys...
    I don't think there is anyone that disagrees the display itself is absolutely fantastic.  The ports are very good too.  What most are railing about is the monitor's despicably ugly casing and stand.  Johnny Ive could have helped LG out with the design if Apple couldn't be bothered making its own monitor anymore.

While many are upset Apple appears to be prioritising form over function for all too many of its products, in this case however, by promoting the LG display as the solution to the function issue, means Apple is ignoring form altogether.  

It's almost like Apple has lost its soul.  So now we get promoted a soulless monitor design.
    rajeshkhater
  • Reply 28 of 34
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    entropys said:
    wreighven said:
    The video on the monitor (even abstracted by the video itself) looks AMAZING! Seriously thinking about getting a 15" and 2 of these bad boys...
    I don't think there is anyone that disagrees the display itself is absolutely fantastic.  The ports are very good too.  What most are railing about is the monitor's despicably ugly casing and stand.  Johnny Ive could have helped LG out with the design if Apple couldn't be bothered making its own monitor anymore.

While many are upset Apple appears to be prioritising form over function for all too many of its products, in this case however, by promoting the LG display as the solution to the function issue, means Apple is ignoring form altogether.  

It's almost like Apple has lost its soul.  So now we get promoted a soulless monitor design.
    This is simplistic. Here's the more likely scenario: 

Apple says to LG, "Make us 2 million screens unmounted so we can have an Apple-branded IGZO monitor to sell."

LG: "Are you crazy? We need to sell our own to get our money back. If we sell to you you'll own the whole market. Besides, we couldn't make enough to supply ourselves and you too. And you won't pay enough. So get them from somebody else. Yes, we know nobody else is making them. Tough."

mdriftmeyer said:
    macxpress said:
    wozwoz said:

LG: "We ain't going to imitate your prissy aluminium design. We want to sell these things to PC types, and they don't want to see your fingerprints on our monitors."

The best Apple could bargain for is the I/O management.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Flaneur, an apple designed display complete with an apple premium would more than offset LG's concerns and in any case not preclude LG from also selling these ugly things if they really want to. And it could have still been an LG branded monitor anyway, just better looking.  I am sure also that LG would have fallen all over themselves in the rush to make an Ive designed monitor.  The publicity alone would be priceless.

Apple says to LG, "Make us 2 million screens unmounted so we can have an Apple-branded IGZO monitor to sell."
    LG: "Are you crazy? We need to sell our own to get our money back. If we sell to you you'll own the whole market. Besides, we couldn't make enough to supply ourselves and you too. And you won't pay enough. So get them from somebody else. Yes, we know nobody else is making them. Tough."
    I think LG would like those two million guaranteed sales with a reliable customer who might also put those IGZOs in other products too. Profit!
    On the balance of possibilities this is Apple's decision rather than LG's, or at least a solution for something not working out, meaning the Apple monitor wasn't ready yet because (variety of reasons that boil down to Apple executive focus elsewhere).

edited December 2016
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    entropys said:
    Flaneur, an apple designed display complete with an apple premium would more than offset LG's concerns and in any case not preclude LG from also selling these ugly things if they really want to. And it could have still been an LG branded monitor anyway, just better looking.  I am sure also that LG would have fallen all over themselves in the rush to make an Ive designed monitor.  The publicity alone would be priceless.

I think LG would like those two million guaranteed sales with a reliable customer who might also put those IGZOs in other products too. Profit!
    On the balance of possibilities this is Apple's decision rather than LG's, or at least a solution for something not working out, meaning the Apple monitor wasn't ready yet because (variety of reasons that boil down to Apple executive focus elsewhere).

I think it is safe to assume that Apple and LG have a better idea of the size of an Apple-only professional monitor market than any of us. LG needed to bring PC users on board who would probably balk at a professional monitor designed to look like an iMac. They're also aware that real professionals would most likely prefer a neutral black surround over a silver one. 

This is an expensive piece of kit aimed at professionals, not wannabe posers who are more concerned with matching the design of the case  to their office wallpaper than the quality of the screen. 

rajeshkhater
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    flaneur said:
    entropys said:
    wreighven said:

This is simplistic. Here's the more likely scenario: 

mdriftmeyer said:
    macxpress said:
    wozwoz said:

LG: "We ain't going to imitate your prissy aluminium design. We want to sell these things to PC types, and they don't want to see your fingerprints on our monitors."

The best Apple could bargain for is the I/O management.
    I imagine LG would be really p****d if Apple brought target mode back to the next release of the 5K iMac. 

If people are so hung up about the case then they could buy the next iMac and use that. 
  • Reply 32 of 34
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    entropys said:

You're assuming that LG can churn out enough IGZO displays to supply Apple and LG both. That's a rash assumption, based on the history of this technology. Do a search and look at the history of its development going back five or more years, starting with Apple's investments with Sharp, then re-examine your prescription for LG's management.

edited December 2016
  • Reply 33 of 34
    My Samsung 4K TV has a very respectable 110 DPI and 40 inches of screen space that makes a 27" monitor feel more like a 22".  It also has... a remote control ...built-in WiFi and apps ...speakers ...and a low $399 price tag.  I will never buy a computer monitor again.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 34 of 34
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    felix01 said:
    I haven't see the 5K in the "flesh" yet but I'm baffled...AI calls it "gorgeous" while many forum contributors to previous stories call it "fugly" although presumably, they haven't seen anything but a picture.

So I'd like to hear from one or more who've actually taken delivery. Where do you come down on the looks of the LG 5K?
    Like others here, my response is based on never seeing one in the wild. For me there are two things to consider— the monitor as something sitting on the desk, and the display or panel when in use.

The 'fugly' tends to discount the panel. That's the type of post I discount automatically. As mentioned, even via video the panel looks pretty nice, and may well be incredible on actual viewing. The feature set is fine by me— computer controlled power and brightness, big pluses for me, along with any improved screen quality.

I am disappointed that when not viewing the panel, the monitor looks plain, generic, like every other non-Apple flat-panel monitor since the late '90s.

Most of the things I buy are because of choices made based on feature set, performance, and... Aesthetics. Sometimes compromises are made, rarely begrudgingly. I care what the car I buy looks like, even though most of the time, I'll only see it from the inside. Sosumi. 

In a work environment, primary if not sole consideration should be performance. But in my home, I like things to look like they belong, as well as do what I want them to do. This monitor doesn't look like it belongs. I might compromise for it's convenience. Right now it's wait and see. 
    dws-2