Apple to give away Beats Solo3 headphones for Chinese New Year in select Asian markets

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2017
In celebration of the upcoming Chinese New Year, Apple on Monday announced customers in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore will receive a pair of Beats Solo3 wireless headphones with the purchase of select Mac and iPhone products as part of a one-day sale.

Similar to last year's promotion, Apple's 2017 Chinese New Year sale involves a special edition version of headphones from its subsidiary Beats, in this case the Product (RED) variation. The color red symbolizes good luck and prosperity in many Asian cultures, and is a common sight around the new year.

According to Apple's Chinese website, any iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro (excluding late-2016 models with Touch Bar), MacBook Air, Mac Pro, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus will receive an instant credit for a pair of Beats Solo3 hardware. The offer is valid at Apple brick-and-mortar stores or online from 8 a.m. on Jan. 6.

Apple has in the past initiated similar sales to woo Asian market customers. In 2014 the company announced a one-day "Red Friday" sales event that garnered shoppers moderate discounts on select merchandise. Identical promotions ran in 2013 and 2012.

In addition to the Beats Solo3 giveaway, Apple is showcasing a litany of red themed accessories on its digital storefront, including iPhone cases, audio products, toys and more. The company is also pushing digital wares like Chinese Greetings and Chinese New Year iMessage sticker packs for the seasonal event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    That's a smoking deal for anyone buying an iPhone.
    cali
  • Reply 2 of 14
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Conversely, when I purchased my 7plus a few days ago in Santa Barbara, CA,
    I not only didn't get anything free, they wouldn't even let me use ApplePay to purchase it!
    I feel slighted...
    albegarc
  • Reply 3 of 14
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    boredumb said:
    I not only didn't get anything free, they wouldn't even let me use ApplePay to purchase it!
    I feel slighted...
    Exactly. When I bought my sim-free 7 Plus, the only thing I got was my 7 Plus. Free wireless headphones would have been nice. Especially with how expensive the phones are in Canada...
    edited January 2017 albegarc
  • Reply 4 of 14
    tulkas said:
    boredumb said:
    I feel slighted...
    Exactly. When I bought my sim-free 7 Plus, the only thing I got was my 7 Plus. Free wireless headphones would have been nice. Especially with how expensive the phones are in Canada...
    The fact that iPhones are expensive in Canada has little to do with Apple, but a lot to do with your taxes, VATs, depreciated currency, etc. As a US dollar based company, there is no reason to expect Apple to take the hit because of your macroeconomic and fiscal problems.
    macxpresscalialbegarc
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Don't want to sound negative...not a big fan of the Beats products. Don't seem to have that "Apple" Wow factor to their design. Getting the AirPods delivered this week!

Now that's an Apple designed product!

Oh well.

Best.

edited January 2017 albegarc
  • Reply 6 of 14
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    tulkas said:
    boredumb said:
    I feel slighted...
    The fact that iPhones are expensive in Canada has little to do with Apple, but a lot to do with your taxes, VATs, depreciated currency, etc. As a US dollar based company, there is no reason to expect Apple to take the hit because of your macroeconomic and fiscal problems.
    Well thanks captain obvious. 

Just as clarification since you're a little confused, I wasn't saying I'm entitled to anything more than I paid for. Clearly I'm not. But getting a little something extra would have been nice. 

It's kind of weird that even has to be explained. You don't like bonuses?

edit: oh, and just for the record, I also intended some sarcasm in my post, hence the specific phrasing of only getting what I paid for.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    Don't want to sound negative...not a big fan of the Beats products. Don't seem to have that "Apple" Wow factor to their design. Getting the AirPods delivered this week!

Oh well.

Best.

Bought my daughter Beats 3 for Christmas and she loves them they work great with the new chip in them.
  • Reply 8 of 14

Oh well.

Best.

Not to burst your bubble... you do sound negative. Just to clue you in, you were never the target market Apple was aiming for when it bought Beats and successfully integrated the company into the Apple ecosystem without missing a... beat.

Everyone I know in my neighborhood who is aged 30 and younger wear Beats headphones. I am amazed that Android people are loving Beats headphones as much as iPhone people even Beats is an Apple product.

The 30+ people in my neighborhood who own iPhones are interested in AirPods. The Android people know of the AirPods, but do not appear interested in buying them. One Android person tested my AirPods and thought they fit and sounded good. His first response was that he would lose them. He forgot the truth that I know he has had cordless BT headphones for over a year that he yet to lose.
    cali
  • Reply 9 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    tulkas said:
    tulkas said:
    boredumb said:
    I feel slighted...

Just as clarification since you're a little confused, I wasn't saying I'm entitled to anything more than I paid for. Clearly I'm not. But getting a little something extra would have been nice. 

edit: oh, and just for the record, I also intended some sarcasm in my post, hence the specific phrasing of only getting what I paid for.
    I don't get your post either then. Cuz yeah, we'd all like free stuff all the time. Sure. But I wouldn't complain about not getting free stuff that I wouldn't expect to get anyway. 
    levicali
  • Reply 10 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Oh well.

Best.

Not to burst your bubble... you do sound negative. Just to clue you in, you were never the target market Apple was aiming for when it bought Beats and successfully integrated the company into the Apple ecosystem without missing a... beat.

Everyone I know in my neighborhood who is aged 30 and younger wear Beats headphones. I am amazed that Android people are loving Beats headphones as much as iPhone people even Beats is an Apple product.
    Don't be so amazed. The "other side" isn't the closed-minded Apple-haters as you might have been lead to believe they are. Some Android bloggers have recommended the new AirPods to Android users even tho they don't get some of the Apple-specific functions. Here's one:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/airpods-android-seriously

edited January 2017
  • Reply 11 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    tulkas said:
    boredumb said:
    I feel slighted...

Wow you guys sound entitled! Are you sure you're Canadian?
     Go to China for the "free" if it's such a big deal. 

tulkas said:
    tulkas said:
    boredumb said:
    I feel slighted...

Ok you almost had us there.

Oh well.

Best.

The 30+ people in my neighborhood who own iPhones are interested in AirPods. The Android people know of the AirPods, but do not appear interested in buying them. One Android person tested my AirPods and thought they fit and sounded good. His first response was that he would lose them. He forgot the truth that I know he has had cordless BT headphones for over a year that he yet to lose.

Nothing brings a smile on my face like someone with Beats headphones connected to an iPhone knockoff knowing Apple is the only one who made a profit. :)
  • Reply 12 of 14
    tulkas said:
    boredumb said:
    I feel slighted...
    The price difference between $USD and $CAD on Apple products seems to be just exchange rate. Almost every item I've checked works out to about the same when converted. Some items are genuinely more in Canada, but then we occasionally see an item that's actually LOWER priced (after currency conversion) in Canada than in the USA.

Apple actually does really well on that front. All you have to do is look at Sony to recognize how well Apple treats Canadians.
  • Reply 13 of 14

Yay Chinese New Year!

Yet Apple cancelled the 12 Free Gifts during Christmas. Granted, that always resulted in 12 threads of whining, but there were some of us who appreciated the free swag!

Donvermo
  • Reply 14 of 14

Yay Chinese New Year!

Yet Apple cancelled the 12 Free Gifts during Christmas. Granted, that always resulted in 12 threads of whining, but there were some of us who appreciated the free swag!

I actually completely forgot about that this year. Free swag is always nice indeed.